Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Default Windows Based Server Hardware

I've searched, but have not been able to find much in the way of hardware defined for servers. Is there any or can someone point me to threads that do?

Here are some questions that may help this discussion...

1. Generally speaking, the more RAM, the better. It enables more static zones, which make for a more stable server. When you reach your hardware limit, what do you do then?

2. Regarding numbers of CPUs, does the eqemu server actually USE multiple cpu or multi core processors? Basically, would there be significant benefit of an 8 core running at 3.4ghz, over a say 2 core running at 3.4ghz?

3. Network is usually the weakest link in this chain... Is there any kind of a general ratio, numbers of users compared with network speed, up speed and down speed?

4. Regarding database and harddrives. There are probably hundreds of different configurations options here. Things from a single 300gig harddrive, to a striped raid, to a SAN. What is a good compromise for an upper end eqemu server? I was considering raiding 7 200gb drives together and striping them, to get the maximum numbers of harddrive heads working at any given moment, for queries... Any suggestions?

Thank you again. I really do find this a great resource for all things EQEMU!

Rick
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

1. When you reach the limit you cry, or add more hardware.
2. All of the various programs (world, each zone, etc.) are different processes. Even if everything was 100% single threaded you would benefit from more cores because the processes can be spread over them by the OS.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:09 AM
Riklin
Hill Giant

I upgraded the network connection speed. Wow! What a difference! 10 times faster than it was! Seriously! The delay when opening mobs or chests for loot is gone, so is the merchant slowness...