Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

You're missing several points.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:25 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Alright. Let's see if I can address them directly. I want to start by saying I do totally get where you're coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkadius View Post
Your work on this so far looks great. All of the user capabilities are definitely on point with where I was heading with the EoC editor.
Thanks. I can also see where you're headed with EOC, and can't wait to see its progression.

Quote:
You mentioned EoC and the Spell Editor there, it is also not complete, especially the individual spell editing page, but it works.
Yeah, it's quite clearly a work in progress. Functionality is concern #1, and it sounds as though you've got it able to save changes to anyone's db that's connected it to the EOC, which is certainly farther than I've gotten so far!

Quote:
There are tons of spell editors that I've seen over the course of the years and they all have their own ups and downs.
Truth. That'll be the case with any tool, and any combination of available tools.

Quote:
The biggest struggle I see is the availability of these tools, can they withstand schematic changes on their own and are they highly available (Open source/Hosted). Ultimately that is where they sink or swim, they could be a great tool but if they miss the boat on availability, they die. Examples (Ailia's Spell Editor, Null's Spell Editor, and all the other classic spell editors) and if I exit spell editors, the same for many other editors out there.
Totally and completely right. The plan is to have it on a free, globally available open source and version control platform, perhaps like github, assuming they support asp.net applications. As mentioned, I don't have any experience with source sharing and version control, primarily working out of single- or two-person dev teams in the past.

Quote:
If you have the brain power to put together what you have in the video, you can easily work around the framework of EoC. It really isn't that complicated.
Thanks! It's certainly true that I could try to pick it up and contribute work to the EOC, though I'd be working with technologies that I'm wholly unfamiliar with (namely php and jquery). While I could certainly learn them as I go, and it certainly wouldn't be detrimental to my usefulness to have those technologies in my repertoire, they are quite entirely outside of my experience and knowledge sphere at the moment.

Quote:
Another thing I see over and over again is duplication of platforms and tools when really there should be an effort to unify efforts. This has been done fairly successfully in the PEQ Editor. But at least with EOC it wraps the PEQ editor inside of it for availability, so if one native EoC tool isn't suitable then you can use one in the PEQ Editor, easily.
I agree, it would be best if there were a single, globally available and standardized EQEmu database/world editor platform, with multiple contributing devs keeping a single system up to date as code changes and database changes take place over time, and the EOC is a perfect candidate for that.

Quote:
You can go ahead and make this tool and all and make it available for others, it just doesn't not make it very cross platform and open and makes it a stand alone setup that goes against what the end goal of EoC was supposed to be.
Hopefully that isn't as true as it seems. With Microsoft making the .net framework open source, asp.net websites will hopefully be fully functional on Linux and OSX, as well as on Home editions of Windows, in the near future, so it could work on all platforms. In addition, once an asp.net application is fully functional, there is the option to put work into implementing a Windows .net app version of it as well, to have asp.net and regular .net working side-by-side, with as much shared UI, business logic, and code as possible, and regular .net apps already work on Linux thanks to Mono. I'm eager to see what they do with the open-sourcing of the .net Roslyn compiler.

Quote:
EoC was also meant to have far more tools than it does, but I am also just one person and have been going through some serious life events as of recent so project time is just not there.
I totally and completely understand. EOC already has a lot of functionality, and will only get better and more intuitive with time. More devs contributing their free time would help accelerate its development and improvement, so it doesn't have to be limited to the work of a single person with all the regular real life responsibilities and then some.

Quote:
Either way all of how to develop around the framework/platform is on the Github already:

https://github.com/Akkadius/EQEmuEOC
I'll have to see how github works with asp.net, and see if I'll have to use a different source platform, if it doesn't. Code sharing is a new experience for me!

Quote:
This is not meant to be a downer, because work like this keeps this community going forward. Getting excited about creation and contribution to the community is great, I'm just adding a little bit of perspective.
I don't take the statements as a downer at all. I see you as saying that it would be a heck of a lot better if all of the database-editing/world-building effort were being put into EOC, instead of a separate system that could be seen as a competitor or something.

I can totally see it and completely agree. If my dev knowledge weren't basically 100% in the Microsoft world, it would be a no-brainer. I'd be hopping in and helping EOC be the one and only flash-bang solution to all of an EQEmu server developer's needs.

Your feeling is that I should try to work with EOC anyway, for all of the aforementioned benefits and otherwise drawbacks... pick up php and jquery and such as I go and work within the EOC framework.

Unfortunately, at this point in my life's timeline, I feel much more comfortable and optimistic working within the frameworks that I know. The hope is that my editors and EOC's editors will complement each other. Maybe mine will work better for editing some things, and EOC's for others, and that sounds fine to me.

I totally get that EOC alone would be the most beneficial. It feels very unfortunate that my educational and experiential circumstances don't line up with that ideal.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:34 PM
Shendare
Dragon

MVC was a fantastic suggestion. MVC+Razor is so much cleaner and faster than old-style asp.net. Almost done refactoring the spell editor in it so I can finish it up.