Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-05-2006, 04:15 AM
PsIKoTiC
Fire Beetle

Default Deleting spells altogether?

Does anyone know how to do this? Fear is currently really buggy and can be used to easily exploit on the PEQ db. I am hoping someone knows how to completely remove all the fear spells from the db.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:44 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

Is fear a scroll that you can get or an inherit skill? If it is just a scroll you can just remove the scroll from the item db and then no one can ever get it.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
mattmeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClaus
Is fear a scroll that you can get or an inherit skill? If it is just a scroll you can just remove the scroll from the item db and then no one can ever get it.

... please tell me your joking.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 PM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Disable fear pathing in features.h and re-compile the code.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 AM
TheClaus
Discordant

I haven't played EQ in a long time. Even then I played a wizard or a bard. So my answer was based on that. Wouldn't it be easier to just remove the scrolls from the db then to modify code? If fear is something like a spell then it would be the simpler of the solutions.

While code would probably take care of it some people are just uncomfortable with changing code. Especially on software that is a bit unstable in most parts of it to begin with.
Old 05-06-2006, 02:17 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Removing the scroll altogether will work, but you'll also have to make sure players don't have access to #scribespells as that will put it in their book.

The problem though with removing fear is it cripples Necros, and I'm not a fan of purposely unbalancing classes. While it is true it can be used to exploit, there are abilities for EVERY class that I know can be used to exploit.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:23 AM
PsIKoTiC
Fire Beetle

ah ok i was hoping that i could remove it from #scribespells to.. is there a way to disable fear in pvp?
Old 05-06-2006, 06:45 AM
Elysius
Sarnak

Find the Fear spell in your spells sql table (use MySQL-Front or something) and look for a bunch of repeating "255" columns far to the right. A few of them should be 4, or 12, or 16, etc... These are the levels at which certain classes get the spell. Change them to 255 (now they don't get the spell). If you want, change the spells_us.txt file accordingly, but then you have to distribute it to your players.

Edit: Don't forget to nab the Bard fear song too.

Last edited by Elysius; 05-06-2006 at 02:48 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 06:53 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Editing the spells table won't work, in fact you don't even need the spells table at all to run a server. It is only used by third party programs like Muss' EQ Browser.

The only way to properly do it would be to remove any fear entries from the spell files, but then you would need to distribute those edited files to anybody on your server like Elysius mentioned.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Elysius
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedude
Editing the spells table won't work, in fact you don't even need the spells table at all to run a server. It is only used by third party programs like Muss' EQ Browser.

The only way to properly do it would be to remove any fear entries from the spell files, but then you would need to distribute those edited files to anybody on your server like Elysius mentioned.
Ha! I've been doing twice the work all along. I figured the spells table in the database was what the server went to, but I edited the spells_us anyways. Thanks for mentioning this. While we're talking about spells... What's the purpose of the spells_en.txt file?

Quote:
but then you would need to distribute those edited files to anybody on your server like Elysius mentioned.
Technically, wouldn't the player just get an error (as in, you can still scribe the spell, but the server won't let you memorize it) when they try to load that spell if they don't have the same spell file as the server? This is what I've experienced.

Last edited by Elysius; 05-06-2006 at 07:04 PM..
Old 05-06-2006, 11:18 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Never thought of that, you are probably right on.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:15 AM
PsIKoTiC
Fire Beetle

Thanks for all the help