Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:16 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

The biggest mistake any game can make is feeling like they need to add new content to a game. Diablo 2 did very well for a couple decades with very minimal content added after launch. If your game doesn't have unlimited replay-ability without new content something is wrong.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:18 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
I'm going to try something for the weekend, just to see where it might go. With very little compromise, make a few
adjustments. Before morning, I will open up the boxing to no limit and give the mercs an attitude, along with a
sow/temp only npc in PoK. But as far as that high end, I'm not willing to alter that for soloing. Unlimited boxing
will give you an edge.
May want to only add boxing and not mess with other stuff. You don't want to become just a knock off version of a dozen servers that already exist.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

Quote:
My issue is not so much about the whole "solo" play preference, I don't find anything wrong with the individual
desire to do so, but there is many solo players out there with only one goal, which is to do the high end and
never think about building their character up. They want server automation to do that for them via scripts.
(autoscribe, skillups, etc) I mentioned in a previous post about the toon on this server, 17 lvls in two days.
And this is a grinding server, haha
Ie; they want an adventure game with a scoreboard; not an MMORPG.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
May want to only add boxing and not mess with other stuff. You don't want to become just a knock off version of a dozen servers that already exist.
No, it's time to wake up to reality. Look around. Anyone who thinks "another" P99 grind is going to attract a
player base, is dreaming. You tube will do nothing for a server. All that advertising will be a waste of
effort and/or money. Aside from the established grinding servers, no more are needed. But what I am doing
is testing the waters without drowning. After this marathon of testing for a week or so, if there is still no
sailors, the ship sinks.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Boxing is unlocked now. Doctor Do Little does very little for you. Temp and SoW for singles,
Temp and Bih'Li for groups. Journeyman Mercs are back and don't hit like a girl anymore :P

Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I never really understood the MMO=Solo connection..
People want that sense of "personal power" and Independence from others. Modern MMOs give them that in a form where - each class can solo, but together they make even stronger group. Ok most of modern MMOs are casual to point where you never ever group, but that a different story.

EQ was unique in a way that it turned a normally anti-social activity (video gaming) into forced social interaction. Most classes were very gimp on their own (compared to mobs) but good in groups. Obviously it was designed by hardcore DnD fans. What designers missed however, is that DnD played in predetermined time sessions with well balanced groups (usually RL friends), but video game format is obviously different - it is hard to achieve close friends DnD mindset in supposedly huge world with thousands of roaming players where no one known no one. Obviously - guilds was a mid step between that, and pick up raids also become a feature when chat interface improved a lot.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:00 AM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Thought maybe I should mention to anyone who had a merc, since I redid the merc tables, bringing Journeyman mercs back,
your original merc will not be there. A new one is only 16 pp at 65, but the upkeep cost has been removed. On the bright
side, a level 53 merc now hits for more than 27 (grin) haha
Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 AM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

I'm not trying to be mean but you are darned if you do darned if you don't. Why would people play here now if it is just like the server they currently play on, but the server they currently play on is more mature and has a larger playerbase? You have to do something unique to even have a chance. And that doesn't mean putting gnolls in qeynos or some other little gimmick. I mean something truly unique and game changing (pun).
Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

I think it would be cool to make a server set up like casual dreams but take it past POP. And add your own badazzle to it It can still be challenging don't have to make it a hit and quit server maybe 3 box max ? Or solo + merc I think that would pull a good crowd. it can still be nostalgic but a do you're own thing at you're own pace deal if I knew anytying about making one I would myself. Idk just a idea I thought would be a nice change
Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
I'm not trying to be mean but you are darned if you do darned if you don't. Why would people play here now if it is just like the server they currently play on, but the server they currently play on is more mature and has a larger playerbase? You have to do something unique to even have a chance. And that doesn't mean putting gnolls in qeynos or some other little gimmick. I mean something truly unique and game changing (pun).
You have no idea what I am doing, let alone know what you're doing. My reasons for hosting a server is NOT and NEVER
will be about that player count !!! If thats the only reason you're trying to develop a server, it's for the wrong
reasons. You need to get off that kick. You're living in a dream world.
You act like you might know something about servers, but you can't even put the gnolls in splitpaw after all this time.
You started your project when ? and simple 10 minute jobs are not complete yet ? Don't tell me you're too busy, I
won't believe you. You're just spending too much time developing other people's forum threads, than your project.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:33 PM
sculler
Sarnak

Quote:
You have no idea what I am doing, let alone know what you're doing. My reasons for hosting a server is NOT and NEVER
will be about that player count !!! If thats the only reason you're trying to develop a server, it's for the wrong
reasons. You need to get off that kick. You're living in a dream world.
You act like you might know something about servers, but you can't even put the gnolls in splitpaw after all this time.
You started your project when ? and simple 10 minute jobs are not complete yet ? Don't tell me you're too busy, I
won't believe you. You're just spending too much time developing other people's forum threads, than your project.
That was a little harsh. I don't think he was insulting you.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:44 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by sculler View Post
That was a little harsh. I don't think he was insulting you.
My response was for a different reason specific to him. He's been nothing but negative since Secrets launched
this server and I seriously think he has ulterior motives for constantly coming on this thread with negativity.
I can appreciate it when someone wants to simply put one post up with their opinion, but he just keeps going
on and on with the negativity and I'm not putting up with it. So yes, it is going to get harsh.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:53 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Frankly I wish people would just leave this thread alone and stop bumping it. The whole EQ2002 name never
had a chance on this forum right from the beginning when Secrets first posted it. It's obvious I will never
be able to post an update or anything, without someone like Nostalgia derailing it's intentions.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:58 PM
Uleat
Developer

I believe that one of the admins has already addressed detrimental comments in threads.

This is neither constructive nor conducive to this thread:
Quote:
... Why would people play here now if it is just like the server they currently play on...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-24-2017, 03:13 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

I'm trying to help people see from a different perspective. I wasn't trying to be mean just pose tough questions, the same type of questions I would love others to point out to me. If you want to ask me why I want to make a classic server when p99 exists I would love to hear that. I don't know what negativity you are referring to; look back I have been encouraging you. Also I was trying to help secrets take peoples investment into his servers seriously. I am honestly trying to help. I care about this community and I help as much as I can.

Thanks for your concern with my server, as you can see I would rather not reinvent the wheel if I don't have to, I have a few "classic" databases that people sent me that I want to sort through still. I try to work smart not hard, I am an engineer for my day job.

And this is a forum, if you want to offer an update log that is what server websites are for.
Closed Thread