Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 05-11-2017, 07:15 PM
emho24
Fire Beetle

Default Windows Server 2016

Has anyone running Windows Server 2016 and encountered any issues? My eqemu instance has been running under Windows Server 2012 for a while, and I recently (month or more ago) changed it to 2016 and everything seemed to be working perfectly.

About a week ago I noticed that the server would no longer come back up by itself after it's normal reboot script. There was a modal popup box blocking the server start script from continuing (screenshot below) that is telling me that something is no longer compatible. All I have to do is click "OK" and the server script continues and everything is fine after that, but as you can see this kills any sort of server start automation.

World.exe executes up until "[World Server] Checking Database Conversions ..." then the modal popup box halts execution until manual intervention. Then the next line in the World.exe command window is "Access is denied." (Screenshots below).

If I knew what logs to attach I would, but I'm still fairly new at this.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

We're now using a binary version of 'wget' for windows since it works far better and more reliable for the installer and general Windows use.

My guess is it is trying to run that binary to fetch, I'd like you to try and right click wget in your server directory and mark it to always run as admin or give it proper permissions.

Let me know what you find so I can alleviate other people running into this in the future.

Thanks.
Akka
Old 05-12-2017, 01:04 AM
emho24
Fire Beetle

The user I'm logging into the server is an admin, and I've made sure that I have full control rights on that exe, as well as set it to run as admin, no dice.

When I try to run wget.exe I get the "This app cant run .." popup box no matter what. I'll make another attempt to diagnose it tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:16 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

My guess is there is some dumb screening service that is running, the amount of top layer garbage that is in Windows OS these days is ridiculous.

I'll pull down 2016 myself and see what I see
Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Pulled down, 2016 install went through flawlessly. I would look into smartscreen and things like that. Probably a setting that needs to be disabled.
Old 05-12-2017, 07:44 AM
emho24
Fire Beetle

Interesting. I downloaded the eqemu_installer_files.zip and snatched the wget.exe from that zip to replace mine and it works perfectly as before. The only thing that comes to mind is that the .exe got corrupted somehow.

An interesting side note - when I replaced my .exe with the one from the installer, it was still marked as 'run as administrator' which pops up the annoying UAC message. When you do not run that exe as admin, no UAC box.