Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Development > Archive::Tools

Archive::Tools Archive area for Tools's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-19-2004, 04:08 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

Good to hear that it does in fact build with cygwin

We don't currently do any culling using the BSP tree, but we hope to do that soon.

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 08-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

I'm a little confused on this issue. Is FreakU supposed to be an EQClient Clone, but same zones, spell effects, UI, etc?

I think that creating a client with just the same zones but different UI, spell effects and game essentials like that would basically take the eq out of eqemu.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:08 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

the purpose of freaku is to make a client that doesnt suck ass.

a xml type skin system would be nice. but well.... i could care less, i'd just like a client that doesnt crash on me and i dont have to worry about breaking my eqemu
Old 08-19-2004, 10:38 AM
KhaN
Dragon

Quote:
Is FreakU supposed to be an EQClient Clone
I really hope Freaku wont be an EQClient clone /poke Daeken.

Quote:
I think that creating a client with just the same zones but different UI, spell effects and game essentials like that would basically take the eq out of eqemu.
You dont need freaku to "take eq out of eqemu", this is easily handable with actual eqclient. But yes, it will make things way easier, but all of this is already possible with actual eqclient.

I was thinking of it today, and i realised one thing, doing the graphic engine of Freaku will be a small part, because there are a TONS of others things in client that are hardcoded, and it will need to be recoded in freaku (which i find dumb), or integrated to eqemu code ...

Old 08-19-2004, 11:01 AM
killspree
Dragon

Cisyouc, I think the major thing FreakU will offer above the EQClient is a truly custom world over what we can currently do now. There are many limitations due to client hardcoding that are a pain to bypass, if some are even possible at all. FreakU would(most likely) allow for fully custom zones with unique file names, instead of having to replace current zones with a new mesh, etc.

This probably takes the EQ out of EQEMu for you, and with good reason. However, I for one am definitely looking forward to it, because it provides a new level of customization for the "hardcore custom" servers which want to provide fresh new zones and content for their players to experience.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:57 AM
smogo
Discordant

EQ is SOE's custom version of an EQEMu server :P

There's much chance however that the first working freakU client uses a lot of current game design and ui (not to say ... files). The easier the better imho.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

The initial versions of FreakU will use EQ's files until we replace them with our own. The goal is that we can eventually replace them completely, and document as we go so that people can replace them as they want.

Old 08-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotonin
a xml type skin system would be nice. but well.... i could care less, i'd just like a client that doesnt crash on me and i dont have to worry about breaking my eqemu
I didn't mean the skin system I just mean the skin appearance itself.

Eh, I dunno. Im on the fence about this whole thing, if we loose some of the essentials like the UI or the spell effects (just examples), we aren't Emulating EverQuest really. We're just using the zones such as Windcatcher allows us to import Quake 3 maps, lol.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:33 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

You stick with the sony client then, ill use the freaku. thx =)
Old 08-20-2004, 09:06 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

But the main thing is that we will have the UI and spell effects and such. We will have every feature from EQ with the possibility of adding more.

Old 09-02-2004, 08:21 PM
eq_addict_08
Hill Giant

Default .

The best thing imo about Freak is that we could give it out.. No more "how do I get warez?" from newbs. If made properly, could use opcodes from any generation server, so would be universal..
Old 09-03-2004, 01:04 AM
daeken_bb
Discordant

My hope is that we don't have to worry about various versions, simply because we can make our own variations on the EQ protocol as we see fit. But that's a while in the future...

Old 09-03-2004, 07:57 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Incorrect. We could give out the basic client "framework" but we would still not be able to distibute any of the content. .s3d or anything like that. sony still owns them
Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 AM
smogo
Discordant

hmm, there are now good tools for building custom zones :p

Go, go, daeken_bb !
Old 09-04-2004, 11:27 AM
a_Guest03
Demi-God

We can legally pass out WC's custom zones. If we have our own client and server, eqemu is then 99% OS, free as in speech, free as in beer, with maybe just the loginserver closed source.

They didn't patent .s3d file formats.