Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Magoth78
Discordant

Default Factions! An EQclassic, PvP(GvG), Progression server

Heya everyone,

after a long break on WoW, I've finally decided to come back to the eqemu scene. That's true, nothing is better than EQ... well, maybe a good night with his wife but that's all

First, let me present myself. I'm Magoth, the creator of the Empire I/II server. I'm not pretty good at english but I try to do my best so everyone can understand me

While I was working on Empire, I've learnt a lot of things about eqemu and programming and honestly it was really interesting.
I've also coded the eqemu web portal, a php tool that permitted us to configour server in a web portal. I don't know if it's still working with the 0.7 servers though.

Recently, I've played on a live Progression server (the Sleeper), it was fun but too many players on it, that was the levels race and the content was not really the same as it was pre-kunark.
So I though it would be amazing to make a progression type server based on Eqclassic with some pvp on Eqemu. The goal would be to make anyone that's interested by the server to remember the old pvp times on this game but with more features..

Since this time, I didn't stop to write on a paper all the things I wanted to see on a server.

Finally, Factions! was born.

The general lines about the server are:
- PvE:
--EQclassic content: The zone are almost like they were pre-kunark. There is an exception for 1 zone that's Cazic Thule. The zone is closed untill the level cap is 51.
--Old models for the zones and for the npc. The skeleton still use some new models (not the last ones)
--Level cap is 50 but will be raised to 51 in the future
--Leveling is long and there are 7 hell levels (20,25,30,35,40,45,50). As almost all emu servers do have a good exp rate, Factions! is slow leveling. Locked places have an good exp bonus.
--You don't gain any experience if you are unguilded after the level 20
--Guilds are limited to 6 members

-PvP:
-- It starts at level 10
-- The PvP cap is +/- 6 levels
-- You can attack unguilded characters
-- You can attack people who are not in your guild
-- You can't attack your group members
-- There is no PvP malus
-- PvP gain is not defined actually. Ranks might be added in the future.

-Server's features
-- Progression's PvE concept: Any dungeon is locked by default. You can check the server's map on the website that will be updated once a zone is unlocked. There will be 16 steps (1 per dungeon).
-- PvP/E instanced zones: Once 2 opposed teams have registered, they will be teleported to a special zone and will have to do a certain mission (mainly based on the pvp).
-- Zone control system will be added in the future. I've not defined it actually. What I can do is to make a special zone(dungeon) available to a guild just after this last one did the event to make this zone available. I'm not sure if this will be a good idea or not, we have to discuss about it.

-Server's managment
-- Those who played on the original Empire server know that. I'm working alone and don't need any GMs. If needed, I will create some Web features to safemove, save and restore yours characters.

-Cheats
-- We are on a PvP server so I won't accept any form of cheats.
-- Those who played on the original Empire server know that(bis). The cheating is forbidden and will be punished.
-- I know that MQ is working for the 0.7 servers because I've tested it on the server. Some features don't work though. In all the cases, if anyone uses any cheat even to test, it will result of a ban.

Now about technical informations concerning the server:
- The EQEmu server and its database are hosted on a dedicated box with a Celeron 2ghz, 1gig ram, 160gig sata, 100mb/s symetric line in a french datacenter. The OS is Linux Debian sarge. The versions of the sources used are the EQEmu-0.7.0-840. The database is the last PEQ one.

- The website and its db are hosted in a separate box.

There is actually no eta on when the server will come up. I've a lot of things left to do. You can check the work .plan in the website boards to see on what I'm actually working on.

Finally, if you're interested you can check the server website at:
http://factions.free.fr

Have a good day,
Mag
-- EQoffline/bots

Last edited by Magoth78; 08-02-2006 at 03:14 AM..
Old 08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Cripp
Discordant

this is very interesting, these are the type of servers we need around here -_-

www.nugblazers.com
Old 08-05-2006, 04:34 AM
Magoth78
Discordant

Some updates.

Things have been done faster than I thought.

You can check the server's plan:
http://factions.free.fr/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5#5

The website:
http://factions.free.fr

The progression's concept is 100% working. You can check the server's progression map on the website. I'm going to add a new map as there are some subtilities in this system. Yes, the progression isn't necessary linear and that's what makes it very interesting. I won't reveal the concept right now but I think you will enjoy it once you'll try it.
Factions! will be the first one to use this kind of progression system.

The PvP is fully working with the Factions! rules.
I'm actually focusing on the first 'special' PvP zone, the clan versus clan one.
Again, it's a new concept and I don't want to reveal it right now. But expect to spend several hours in the pvp zone if you want that your clan win it.

Finally, if you plan to play on the server, you will see that the leveling is long, very long compared to any other Emu server. It has been made for several reasons. Si if you want to play on a 1-50_a_day server, don't play on Factions!

Have fun,
Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-05-2006, 05:54 AM
Ueguvil
Hill Giant

Doh, I wish it wasn't PvP.

Anyways, if I could add a suggestion, I don't think you should add Cazic-Thule until much later than Kunark. The gear there isn't balanced until around Luclin.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Magoth78
Discordant

You're right. I'm not sure that I will add CT in the future neither I will cap the level to 51. If I ever do that, a lot of tests PvP/E wille be done before...

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Magoth78
Discordant

Updates:

PvP grades system added.

Depending of your PvP Points, you will have access to 7 grades. The first ones will be quick to attain for anyone who likes the PvP. The last ones will be extremly long and hard to attain.

In order to update your grade, you will must use the command #updategrade.

If your grade doesn't change, the command will do nothing. Else, you will be kicked from the server. When you will relog you will see your name as <Your_Grade> <Your_Name>.

For the moment it's just a visual feature that shows who are the good PvPers. In a near future, I plan to add some bonus associated to the grades.

You can check the website for any further information,
Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 AM
Mistervirtue
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoth78
For the moment it's just a visual feature that shows who are the good PvPers.
what constitutes good pvp'er? most kills? best kill/death ratio?

theres no fair way... i can just play a rogue, kill you everytime you get low, and be gone when you come looking for a fair fight... i get 100 kills a day, no deaths... i must be the best pvper!
or i can play a wizzard, kill 1000 people a day but die after most of each kills, and have the most kills on the server... i'd still be the best!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:51 AM
Magoth78
Discordant

The very good PvPers are, for me, the players who kills a lot without being killed.
The good PvPers are the players who kills a lot and dies sometime.
The adverages PvPers are the players who kills and dies as much
etc..

That's exactly how is coded the PvP points fomula.

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-12-2006, 07:13 PM
craig069
Fire Beetle

Default time?

How soon until you go live with your server?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Magoth78
Discordant

Check the website and the boards, things go quickly

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Smedy
Sarnak

looking forward to this, hope this server will be up on the given dates, so it dosnt become like last stand that just went away after the date it was supposed to be up ;(

looking forward to your server mate!!
Old 08-13-2006, 05:42 AM
Ellie
Sarnak

Hey, I have a few questions for you.

1. Do you have an estimated date for beta to start?

2. Are you going to have people from this site submit applications for beta?

3. What is the experience gain on this server (1XLive, 1.5XLive, 2XLive, etc.)?

4. Would you consider upping the guild maximum to at 16-20? 6 seems very low.

5. Are you prohibiting boxing more than 2 characters?

All for now, but will have more.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:39 AM
busyallnightill6
Fire Beetle

head over to the servers website furoms and post there, alot has already been answered
Old 08-13-2006, 06:51 AM
Magoth78
Discordant

Hello,

Smedy,
There is no ETA at the moment but I'm finishing the zone control system and everything should be fine.

Ellie,
1- As I said, there is no ETA but the beta will start very soon. If everything is ok at the end of the week, the beta will start Saturday.
2- The beta will be open to everyone. I wanted to do a closed one but that will not be necessary.
3- I can't really answer to that by the fact I've modified the exp rate. All I can say is the exp rate is slow, very slow but faster in the dungeons (that you will have to unlock).
4- For the moment, the guild max is 6 and will stay like that. I'm explaining the reasons on the servers boards.
5- MQ, Buffbots and all the others exploits are forbidden. Now, if you decide to play several characters at the same time, there is no problem with that.

Mag
-- EQoffline/bots
Old 08-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Barl
Sarnak

Mag you need to make this server 1 item loot pvp. Ive played all of your empires, and the one with the largest population was when you had itemloot for those few weeks. I know that if you make it 1 itemloot your server will be unreal, that is what everyone in the eq world are waiting for anyways right now... for that pvp 1 item loot progression from sony (if it ever comes). I know that i am not alone in this opinion. And for you guys who havent played on any of mag's servers, you dont need to worry about ETA's, magoth is with out a doubt the best at holding to what he says, working hard and gettting the server that he is working on, out asap. I garuntee that what happend with the last stand wont happen with this server.