Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Lalolyen
Banned

Default DEVELOPMENT: Zone Instancing

I just thought I would post an update on our server. So far we can get zone instancing to work with 2 zone instances (the 3rd one crashes the zone server atm).

So far this is what we have done:

New column in zones called instance that is a number from 0 to 100. This specifies how many instances can be open on the zone. The zone server reads it the same. 0 means its not an instanced zone, 100 means you can have 100 instances running at the same time before giving the message when trying to access the zone "This zone is too dangerous for you to enter!"

If a zone is still loading/booting as each time an instance is requested it will load in in your zone server automatically and remove it under 10 minutes of inactivity you will get: "This zone is not yet ready for adventurers!".

The concept of this is simple actually. You duplicate a zone in your database, and have the same zone name, but place one as a 0 and the other as a 1 and the zone server will then interpret the 0 as the zone you normally enter (like stillmoon temple.

So far this is working with the flagging system that is already programmed in EMU's code, however I am having some problems preventing the zone crashes (as it seems that the zone server MUST have a unique identifier on the zone somehow so I'm thinking of just making a table called instanced zones and have the world server pull the zone from that table OR create a zone in that table if requested from the zone table and it reads 1 in the instance column.)
Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Lalolyen
Banned

Quote:
zone server will then interpret the 0 as the zone you normally enter (like stillmoon temple.
Clarification: If you do some editing to the zone sources.

Too lazy to read my logs atm but where the zone requests are handled and interpreted its a forceful way of making the zone server also look for that column and interpret whether its an "instance" or regular zone.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:47 AM
drakelord
Hill Giant

Woo, good job! keep up the good work, this will be awesome when it's done, and lead to a lot more possibilities on the custom spectrum.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:10 AM
Furrygamer
Banned

When this is finished it is sure to put eqemu further in its progression, which has been a while. Hope to see more from the rogue dev master! *working on better nick name*
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Theeper
Discordant

I am confused as to how you make the client know which instance to load ?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Furrygamer
Banned

I believe it involves flags. when you get the instance mission you get a flag saying "zone1" so it puts you inside instance number 1. like if you got a flag to go to the catacombs, your char would receive flag "catacombs2" which tells the zone loader to put them inside instance number two instead of instance one. understand? The part you would be needing to make sure is that the npc flagging people does not flag to groups with the same zone. should be simple for those that know coding well enough like lalolyen
Old 10-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Lalolyen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theeper View Post
I am confused as to how you make the client know which instance to load ?
Right now by using the ugly and crude method of quest flags =(

I'm working on another way at the moment, where there is a new table created (as stated above) where all of that data will be tossed into in the future. I'm thinking that may also fight the 2 zone limit bug as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Lalolyen
Banned

Again none of this please

Last edited by Angelox; 10-11-2007 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Bashing
Old 10-11-2007, 05:25 AM
Theeper
Discordant

Sorry to derail this post and I am sure to get slapped by Matt and maybe banned, but ..

Lalolyen I am beginning to lose any amount of respect you might ever earn here because of the sensational and dramatic nature of your posts and sigs. Are you still in middle school or what ? Act like and adult, and you will be treated like one. You have been here like a month making demands, threats, name calling etc, and I haven't seen one piece of emu code from you (unless I missed something). Noone cares about the 12 million lines of PHP code you put up, we all do it. Noone cares about your SoE leverage. Noone cares about your network security expertise. Get over yourself. There have been a lot of very smart people here over the years, you aint bringing anything new to the table.

Stop with the "Nazi" and "Tyranny" type posts because it's an insult to my intelligence. You have no rights here. Noone has to listen to you and if the mods choose to delete your posts and ban you, they can. There is no conspiracy to supress anything.

Granted I may not care for the way the current dev team does things sometimes, but I am free to start my own project and run it the way I want to if I don't like it here.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:19 AM
mattmeck

This Tyrant is acting like a nazi and locking this thread because it was derailed.
Closed Thread