Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:44 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

Default Running Multiple eqlaunch.exe Zone files

Apologies in advance... I'm certain I'm not going to use the proper terminology here, but hopefully you will get the gist of my question...

HallsHavoc appears to be running fine. I'm not having too many issues, but one nagging thing is bothering me and that has to do with "ghosting" of mobs in zones. I have recently spent a lot of time (DAYS actually) in South Karana figuring out how to get Quillmane to spawn. In doing that with a ranger, I would track down a mob only to have it suddenly be a long way off, or I'd attack it only to not be able to hit it, with a message indicating the mob is too far away...

My network connection is good and fast 11+mbps down, 50+mbps up. Server is on one computer, dedicated server. I play on a different computer (of course).

My server is a 5ghz AMD 8 core with 32gig ram, WIN7 pro OS loaded on an SSD and a 4TB 10RAID array that the database files(and temp/tmp/cache files) are on.

To try and alleviate this ghosting, I kind of did a bit of a leap in logic and decided to launch multiple zone handlers. I'm thinking that if I keep each zone handler to handle 20 zones, that this ghosting should not be an issue. I have 78 static zones right now. Right now I start 4 zone handlers.

<start.bat excerpt>
@echo off
c:
cd \EQ\EQEmuServer
shared_memory.exe
start world.exe
echo World has been started...
ping -n 10 127.0.0.1 > nul
start queryserv.exe
start ucs.exe
start eqlaunch.exe first
start eqlaunch.exe second
start eqlaunch.exe third
start eqlaunch.exe zone
exit
</start.bat excerpt>

My question is how many zone files can you start?

Is there a benefit to starting multiple versus one?

What is the maximum number of static zones you can have? (can you have say 250?)

Is there something else I should be doing to stop "ghosting"?

Thanks,
Rick (HallsHavoc)
Old 01-29-2015, 05:48 PM
dburg30
Sarnak

IIRC you can have as many static zones as your memory can handle. Not 100% sure of that.

As far as your ghosting issues, dont think this will help on that. All you are doing with static zones is having them, well, pre-loaded instead of one of the dynamic ones having to load it.

One thing, do you have your system so it uses your internal IP or is it going thru the net and back down? On an internal IP I'm shocked you have ghosting.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM
Riklin
Hill Giant

My primary intent is to prevent the merchants from losing all their stuff between system restarts, and to prevent people from using dynamic zones to leave, then come back in hopes of getting the named spawns to spawn instead of placeholders. That is one of the main reasons I want to use static zones over dynamic zones.

Like with most things involving EQEmu servers, the answer isn't a straight yes/no...

Database access is 'localhost'

mailserver and chatserver are internet IP (up and down).

tcp ip is 'localhost'

I am pretty sure that all the clients on my internal network do the full up and down to connect, because I use the regular login server, not a localhost login server.

I hope that explains it, to the best of my understanding, at least...

Last edited by Riklin; 01-30-2015 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: need to add reason for static zone...
Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 AM
vsab
Discordant

The ghosting is unlikely to be performance in this case. Have you generated your own .map files? If not it might be worth trying that in case kls made some bugfixes to the way they are generated. I think the svn copies are pretty old, not sure if they're still maintained.

If you were remote it could be packet loss but this isn't the case either. I also know we don't quite do movement correctly so this might be a symptom of that.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:08 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

I have generated v2 maps at:

FTP: ezd.akkadius.com

User: maps
Pass: maps