Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Development

Development::Development Forum for development topics and for those interested in EQEMu development. (Not a support forum)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Zeice
Sarnak

Default Missing Files in SoF Install

I don't know if anybody else has noticed this or not, I just happened to notice it the other day. It's only a few zones but they are missing their _chr.txt files and some are missing their environment emitter file.

The main one that I first noticed this on was Crystallos. I went to go check the _chr file to see what races were available to use in the zone, and to my surprise the file was missing. I had it in my eqlive folder though. I thought maybe the game didn't install correctly, so I uninstalled and reinstalled. I also tried installing to different directories and repairing the installations and that file was always missing. So I finally just moved the file from my eqlive folder. This added the races as well as all particle effects that go along with the zone.

I've noticed that these zones that are also like this:
Loping Plains
Dragonscale
Crypt of Shade
Bloodmoon
Guardian
Mansion
gyrospireb
gyrospirez
Hills of Shade
Mechanotus
Steam Factory
new steamfont mountains

I've probably missed one or two, but I have the files for these zones in my live folder, but not in my fresh SoF install folder. These things are sort of cosmetic, and it depends on if anybody even plans on using these zones in their development, but it sucks if a player zones into say Crystallos and sees nothing but human models. (except for the new global dragon models =P )

I think this problem also goes hand in hand with the default SoF spell file. It's obviously not finished, and these things were issues I'm sure were added in a really early patch once SoF was released. So that question is, how do we handle an issue like this for players who install SoF fresh and can't enjoy the zones we develop for them right out of the box? It's even a factor when developing for these zones because as a developer we can't see the race models. Obviously this can be fixed if you have eqlive patched up in a different directory, but some players are not going to be able to do that. By my count that's atleast 13 files that would have to be distributed if that's even legal for both the emitter and _chr files.

At any rate this is just a minor issue that may need some consideration, but isn't gamebreaking. Also it's possible that I just have a bogus set of DVDs and the files just aren't installing. So I was basically just bringing this up to people's attention to see if anybody else noticed this, and maybe I'm behind in the loop but I had not seen any posts about this anywhere yet.