Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Default Custom Zones

How does EQEmu handle custom zones now? I recall reading, in the (somewhat old) documentation for ZoneProxy that the client had issues with custom zones it didn't recognize. Is this still the case for titanium/SoF? Do you have to replace the original version with a custom version to get the client to understand it?
Old 02-01-2010, 05:26 PM
RichardoX
Hill Giant

I'm sure WC made that work with ZoneProxy but its easier to just replace a zone that already exists that isn't used. ArtTest, Tutorial, cshome, etc..
Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM
pfyon
Discordant

So the answer is, you need to replace zones server side for the client to be able to zone into them without needing any changes client side?
Old 02-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

No, you do nothing server side, It is the clients that need the new files...

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
No, you do nothing server side, It is the clients that need the new files...
Well, obviously the server will need new maps and entries in the DB.

I should have been more clear. I know the client will need new files (the eqg, obj, etc or whatever), but is that all the client requires to be able to zone into the custom zones?

I guess I'm asking, are the zone IDs/names hard coded into the client so it will only send requests for zones it knows about, or will the server just be like 'you're zoning into this zone now, load it up' when they pass through the zone line?
Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM
neiv2
Hill Giant

Quote:
Well, obviously the server will need new maps and entries in the DB. I should have been more clear. I know the client will need new files (the eqg, obj, etc or whatever), but is that all the client requires to be able to zone into the custom zones? I guess I'm asking, are the zone IDs/names hard coded into the client so it will only send requests for zones it knows about, or will the server just be like 'you're zoning into this zone now, load it up' when they pass through the zone line?
The answer is, yes, it will send requests only for zones it knows about. You need to replace an existing zone with the custom zone and adjust it's longname in the db to get it to reflect the zonename you want. It won't actually change the "You are entering x zone" text (which is hard-coded); but once you zone in, the chat box will say "You have entered [new longname for zone]."
Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiv2 View Post
The answer is, yes, it will send requests only for zones it knows about. You need to replace an existing zone with the custom zone and adjust it's longname in the db to get it to reflect the zonename you want. It won't actually change the "You are entering x zone" text (which is hard-coded); but once you zone in, the chat box will say "You have entered [new longname for zone]."
Ah, thank you.