Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Naugrin
Fire Beetle

Default Bland?

With KPemu dieing and most other servers never breaking a population of 50 i have to ask. Is the everquest emu population dieing out or is there just a lack of creativity in the server building process?

Granted, we see about 6-8 new servers pop up every quarter but how many of those truly stay around? Why do servers fail and what could be done to help it?

Lets take a look at the current servers with a population over 50 that have been around for years.

Project1999, Best attempt at a classic - trilogy everquest server.
Project1999Red, Best attempt at a classic - trilogy everquest server, PVP.
PEQ TGC, Best attempt at a titanium client server - classic - GoD.
EQ Titanium, Legit PoP / LDoN / GoD.
EZ Server, Highly Custom Server that includes hours and hours of custom content.
THF, Highly Custom Server that includes hours and hours of custom content.
Dragon Soul (CEQ) - Legit Chinese Server.

Finally we get to the last server that has a population higher then 50 and this server is a newer server.

Leetsauce Productions, Custom Content, MQ2Usage Allowed.

Lets be totally honest here for a second. Do you believe that there will be anymore "innovating game changing servers" or is the EQEMU community just exhausted?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:25 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

If there was a better classic (orig to velious) database/quest template that was open source, you would see a better population spread out amongst those servers.

Also the default server source is lacking in terms of pathing.

Most people dont enjoy the later expansions which is the default for PEQ/Quest/Source and many don't have the patience to spend 3-4 years culling it back to original.

It's also a barrier to entry to get new people to obtain Titanium, install it, and make whatever changes needed to play on a server. It's not overly complicated, but does infact pose a hurdle for people to simply log in and play right away. This is the main reason I'm working on porting the Everquest Client into Unity Webplayer. I want people to be directed to a website and jump in the game instantly.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Kayen
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrin View Post
Lets be totally honest here for a second. Do you believe that there will be anymore "innovating game changing servers"...
Yes

All the tools exist to make really anything you can dream up.
The only limiting factor is a persons will and time.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:00 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

I agree with Kayen, the new tools that are out are outstanding!

I had an idea for a semi Trilogy // semi old school // semi pvp-ish server.

-- Giants Vs. Dragons = They just kinda dropped it...
-- Gods = They never really developed Deities In Game. How about a Core-Of-Grey Spells, then deity related advanced spells for the various classes? This would differentiate classes: Dark Elf Cleric anyone? The questing possibilities here would be pretty cool, extending into Trading Factions as well!
-- Remember the old Giant Faction Grind // or the Dragon Faction Grind? Have areas like the Court Yard in Skyshrine that are PVP areas... the Dragon Faction people can choose to enter the Court Yard to protect it's denizens from being faction harvested by Giant Faction hunters. If the Giant Faction Hunter wins a PVP combat, they get extra Exp, and Faction; then they can kill the denizens for extra faction and gold // drops etc... and of course a place over in Giants Ville for the Dragon Faction Hunters to go. Whats that? You are a CANDY ASS...? FINE! Go do it the old fashioned Grind Way! Still a perfectly cowardly option
-- Add in Mining, like Shards has...
-- All of the races are an option...
-- Toss in a couple of "new" class combos...Ogre Mage anyone? Purely a flavor thing! Perhaps add in a Barbarian Ranger that uses shamanic type spells...? Just a bit of extra flavor, nothing unbalanced.
-- Re-Vamp all of the old Antonica // Kunark // Vellious zones to be inline with later expansions, so that progression feels "Tight" rather than 'Ugh..not this old ass worthless zone!!' ... Can you imagine Halls of Testing fully revamped for much higher levels, but having kept the old flavor, old quests etc...just all of it Tightly Updated? How about Derakor fully updated for the higher level etc...? Plane of Hate // Plane of Fear anyone? Add in the extension to Antonica that SoD brought, Valdeholm will be needed as the giants need some extra turf...etc
-- Put in the ball busting effort to Fix Enchanters...make them the hero's of old!
-- Put in the ball busting effort to Fix Clerics... "Psst, Mr. Ench...I got you bro..Don't F*ck Up kay?" As an old cleric...I remember those days in Plane of Fear...either I would /tell the Ench, or he would /tell me... and suddenly all hell broke loose, BOOM! heh. Bring some of that back! The Cleric Era of GEAR IS GOD = USE only 3-4 second Fast Heals and Just Spam the Piss out of them! ...!?! Rebalance that... CH should be one of those trusty needed options you reach for regularly... but fast heals can be there too, and of course HoT's. Bring back the excitement! Make what was old, VERY New again, with a few twists here and there...

-- Bring back OLD Cazic...but update it to fit smoothly into the classic but new theme...PAW, ...etc... you know the old zones that got messed up bad from updates...

-- Fix Monks...make Monkly Pulling an Art form again!

-- Fix Wizards...if I hear another wizrod tell me "I ain't holding back my blasting, and I ain't running or nothing..." I think I will puke! They F*CKED Wizards UP! Ugh!

Ok, this wall of text is ....too long now.

Just a few ideas that have been kicking around.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:55 AM
Tyen05
Discordant

Also agree with Kayen, with Zaela open sourcing his EQClient importing tools, people have a lot of ability to do some really cool stuff.

Packet's server as an example, and surprisingly, the only live example of what is possible.

The big new EQ development trend is Client Development. There is a lot of developers not only focusing on the server but also the client.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:18 AM
sunbeam
Sarnak

Is it possible that you can eventually exhaust the lore and play possibilities of the original game? Then it is time for something new?

I don't know what that "new" would be, but I think I am ready for a new game. But nothing I have seen so far scratches that itch.

Ironically I usually use the original graphics in game, but I kind of might be ready for more advanced graphics. I have seen eq2 videos that were really cool, and would have been impossible to make with eq1. Also Skyrim and the like have kind of given me the itch to play in a more realistic looking world.
Old 09-13-2014, 01:33 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Well two things killed my server game plan. After 5 years I can't say it wasn't a good run though.

1) We were THE Classic/Trilogy server; then P99 came out and we lost about 95% of our population.

2) The time investment for proper development is astronomical.

Like previously mentioned, the client is old, the game is old, the people who find EQ interesting, are likely old. The current generation of kids aren't interested in anything except WoW and now playing a WoW emulator is extremely easy (not to mention the live game is still extremely newbie friendly). The community is definitely a lot smaller than it was a few years ago. Creating an awesome server with lots of extras means extra downloads, that coupled with issues obtaining the client itself means people who may be interested get frustrated trying to figure out how to play.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM
Shin Noir
Legendary Member

Getting friends and new people to do EQEMU is tough. Without fresh blood, we're working with the past. Yeah.

~Shin Noir
DungeonEQ.com
Old 09-13-2014, 02:29 PM
zerjz3
Banned

My intentions with the Sanctuary server are to create exactly this -- a new game in the EverQuest engine, that does NOT use the EverQuest lore, but instead new lore for a new game, and gameplay that is AAA quality in an old game engine. I think the biggest problem is that most server admins are happy to make some tweaks to the already existing game made by Sony, and that gets old quickly.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerjz3 View Post
I think the biggest problem is that most server admins are happy to make some tweaks to the already existing game made by Sony, and that gets old quickly.
I agree more or less with this. Project 1999 is catering to the bulk players seeking that nostalgia aspect and I don't see a server popping up doing a better job of it than they do at that target audience. That leaves a limited amount of players left for the rest of the EQemu community. The servers trying to emulate project 1999 better by a solo developer are never going to hack it and will burn out and fade away as quickly. The truly custom servers are the ones that have a bit of potential for limited appeal, but still need quality development.

A server worth mentioning that's not officially affiliated with EQemu, but has past history with the site and is loosely based upon it is Shards of Dalaya though which I guess has been trying to make in roads to getting back on the same with EQemu. They've done a better job than most when it comes to the custom aspect differentiating itself from Sony's base game.

I do think EQemu is at a crossroads right now though in terms of development. How many players still care about EQ how many all ready have their needs and desires met and filled plus how many does that leave left to go around? What detracts new or older players from EQ at this point the most? The client issue is certainly one that could pose issues, but is there more to it than that.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Tyen05
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowom View Post
I don't see a server popping up doing a better job of it than they do.

The servers trying to emulate project 1999 better by a solo developer are never going to hack it and will burn out and fade away as quickly.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 PM
knowom
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Noir View Post
Getting friends and new people to do EQEMU is tough. Without fresh blood, we're working with the past. Yeah.
Yeah defiantly true EQ needs a rather serious facelift in a lot of area's. Even the UI could stand a more modern overhaul both in terms of look and functionality. Moving away from Titanium client would be beneficial probably a lot of us don't want to let go of the old nostalgia versions of zones like lavastorm, nektulos forest, ect unfortuantely. Though if we start going more completely custom player made development off the beaten path more like Packets I don't see a compelling reason not to ditch the limitations of the older clients in favor of newer ones. I kind of believe custom developed 3D content might be what could help save EQemu it opens up tons of new possibilities.

Is mapquest a issue with newer EQemu clients as well or just older ones like titanium?

EQ is in a rough spot too in that it's likely way easier to work with and modify WoW while maintaining a decent player base size because of it's much larger base user base and more modern game engine.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:30 PM
Davood
Discordant

I agree.

in response to Rhyotts post - I have experimented with teh god system on my server. you can become a god then gain player worshippers - its still in its infancy, but it works, you can pray to your player-god and get AA from them if they are powerful enough.. the god can buy abilities to grant to their followers etc.

also i have explored the monster races i have abaout 17% done with teh skills but i have added 150 races and have a tierd skill system for each of them- just most of them is placeholders as I haven't had any EQ development time (only bug fixing and maintenance) since over 16 months ago.

that said i did not do mucuh "change" to the original sony vision of eq. I did however setup my server to be a continual dungeon crawl through 100s of zones. its basically mindless slaughter, if you are into it please try it out. otherwise go elsewhere if you require a deep story.

as kayen said, its all bout time and motivation. I know i am motivated, but I don't have the time. I am working two full time jobs right now (literally) and that will go on for many more months before one of them overtakes the other then I can have some free time again.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:53 PM
knowom
Discordant

Time and motivation is a difficult thing when the community is so small and has a limited appeal outside those simply seeking out old school p1999 style nostalgia.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:52 PM
ghanja
Dragon

If you build it, they will come.

However, where are the guides? Do "they" have to search for them? I still see to this day, posts on FB groups concerning EQEmu and people's ignorance regarding it much less how to access servers and such.

That's not to say the information isn't out there/on here, we know darn well it is. Though, is it in a pretty little package all wrapped up nicely with a bright red bow? Last I knew, it wasn't. This isn't a critical post, simply engaging conversation.

Then I see some that "get it" in that they should keep a separate directory (read: EQ install) for each server they access. I'm aware there was a recently revamped program that allows for server selection with greater ease (right? I'm still old school and keep separate directories or did when I was active on EQEmu's last), though, given the insignificant installation size of EQ (imo) compared to hard drive capacity anymore, I really don't see the bother.

The concentration should be on what truly makes and always has made the game we have come to all but idolize and that is, the community, the players. I sincerely doubt that anytime in the foreseeable future the servers up now will go anywhere. So, it's been "built" so-to-speak. Now, let's get the players. There are still quite a few interested in EQ, but perhaps not so much in the newer EQ much less the current. But, I still see them replying to suggestions for them to pick up a copy of Titanium and give an EQEMu server a whirl with: 1. "Won't I get in trouble?" 2. "How does that work?" etc.

I remember what seemed not too long ago (if 10+ years isn't "long ago" to you) that SOE and those working for them, including the guiding program, information players, or in the case of guides, reminding them, that participating on an EQEmu server could lead to them getting the ban hammer. It left a stigma about EQEmu that really should be removed from their minds/thoughts.

I'll personally continue on spreading awareness, though, seeing people to this day posting questions about p99 on the EQEmu forums, well. Needless to say, I (we?) have my (our?) work cut out for me (us?).