Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-06-2016, 10:24 AM
kira1000
Fire Beetle

Default a few questions from someone new to EQ and EQemu

Hello, I just found out about this project and am quite interested, I have a few questions though if no-one minds, they are:

1. What exactly is a progression server? Have seen it mentioned several times before
2. Are there any good solo progression server repacks? I want to make a LAN server for me and my brother, but want to make it staggered
3. Which client is the Steam FTP one in the titanium/UF etc list?
4. (more of a generalisation) what is the bandwidth usage of EQ normally? Just in case I can't make my own server for LAN/offline play.

thank you very much, really eager to get into EQ
Old 09-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Code:
1. What exactly is a progression server? Have seen it mentioned several times before
2. Are there any good solo progression server repacks? I want to make a LAN server for me and my brother, but want to make it staggered
3. Which client is the Steam FTP one in the titanium/UF etc list?
4. (more of a generalisation) what is the bandwidth usage of EQ normally? Just in case I can't make my own server for LAN/offline play.
1. Progression starts out in vanilla EQ and moves to expansions based on time or based on kill tasks of certain raid targets.

2. Nope.

3. RoF2 is the current up to date client. You will not be able to use the live f2p client. You can sail the seas for the client though.

4. It literally takes nothing. Upwards of 70 people on my server daily and I burst to 3mbps up MAYBE.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:16 AM
kira1000
Fire Beetle

Thanks for the quick response, I noticed Akka's installer, could I make that into a progression server at all? How hard would it be? Thanks again
Old 09-06-2016, 12:22 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

The "progression" part is easy. Just turn off expansions until you're ready for them. Getting the content back to an older state is much more challenging, however.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:56 AM
MarcusD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post

3. RoF2 is the current up to date client. You will not be able to use the live f2p client. You can sail the seas for the client though.
Been sailing but have spotted no palm tree's bearing seeds.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:18 AM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

It's more of a buried treasure chest.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:24 PM
RetroEQ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
The "progression" part is easy. Just turn off expansions until you're ready for them. Getting the content back to an older state is much more challenging, however.
How do you turn off expansions? What table in the database?
Old 09-16-2016, 07:41 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

The old method was to set the expansions value in the variable table. The current value for that is 16383 which you get by using 2^N -1 where N is the expansion number. That particular method doesn't appear to have been updated for quite some time now.

Another method is to set min_level or min_status in the zone table then update it or change it whenever the players complete a specific task. This method will probably use quest_globals or heavy scripting

It may be possible to accomplish this by other methods as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:46 PM
RetroEQ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
The old method was to set the expansions value in the variable table. The current value for that is 16383 which you get by using 2^N -1 where N is the expansion number. That particular method doesn't appear to have been updated for quite some time now.

Another method is to set min_level or min_status in the zone table then update it or change it whenever the players complete a specific task. This method will probably use quest_globals or heavy scripting

It may be possible to accomplish this by other methods as well.
Very cool was not aware of the variables table. I set min status on the zones in the zone table and that works pretty well. Do you know how to edit the server code? Does eqemu give us the files to edit our server code or just the database?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

I know how to make minor changes to the source code but I usually get in over my head really quickly. You can use Visual Studio to edit the source and compile your own binaries. Not sure what the most commonly used version is atm. The database can be altered through command line or with something along the lines of Navicat or HeidiSQL.

Visual Studio - https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/n...munity-vs.aspx

Source Code - https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/

Most recent database - edit.peqtgc.com/weekly/peq_beta.zip
Old 09-16-2016, 10:31 PM
DanCanDo
Discordant

The wiki helps with some things :

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Main
Old 09-17-2016, 02:26 AM
RetroEQ
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
I know how to make minor changes to the source code but I usually get in over my head really quickly. You can use Visual Studio to edit the source and compile your own binaries. Not sure what the most commonly used version is atm. The database can be altered through command line or with something along the lines of Navicat or HeidiSQL.

Visual Studio - https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/n...munity-vs.aspx

Source Code - https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/

Most recent database - edit.peqtgc.com/weekly/peq_beta.zip
Ohh sexy . Looks like we have our work cut out for us though, tough stuff, but at least we can edit and recompile! That is really amazing. Yup using heidi right now on the database and am doing some major work retweaking spawn times lol. Tough thing to do with 150,000 lines to work with. Never had to give my processor a break before! I can only "find and replace" 3,000 lines at a time before it seems my processor's memory cache fills up and it slows to a crawl so I have to exit heidi and reenter and it is back up to speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCanDo View Post
The wiki helps with some things :

http://wiki.eqemulator.org/p?Main
Will search there first next time appreciate it