Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 12-12-2002, 07:44 AM
Pneu
Sarnak

I agree with hydrocyanic, which is one reason I asked if the quest engine could have a check for minimum skills on another thread. I want to do exactly that but it would kinda suck if it accepted a quest handin that lowered your skill..

Pneu
Old 12-12-2002, 09:07 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Default RE: EQEMU Server

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but it seems that the bandwidth/performance issues are going to always be a problem as long as you have one server trying to control the whole world. Why dont you have multiple people run different zones on the same server? Have like 10 or so people each run a few zones for the server and that would greatly improve lag. Granted it would rely on more people to keep your server up 24/7, but i think you could make a logon system for servers so that when a new server joins the world server the world load is redistributed across the network. I personally think it would work out pretty nicely, what do you guys think?
Old 12-13-2002, 04:58 AM
Pneu
Sarnak

That can pretty much already be done can't it? By running zone servers remotely but connecting to your world.exe.

I could only see it falling over with persistent zones and when a server logs out, what do you do? If my understanding is correct then you'd just accept half a continent just logged out to play Quake :lol: but the next person to zone back in will ressurect that zone on the next spare zone server. With non-persistent zones I cannot see any problem with that as things stand.

Pneu
Old 12-13-2002, 11:06 AM
RangerofStrife
Fire Beetle

Back to a few posts before, mobs dropping armor is rediculous...if they aren't wearing armor in the first place.

If I go kill a goblin he probably won't be wearing any armor and shouldn't drop any, however the goblin LEADER itself may have been able to get his hands on a leather piece of armor, is stronger than most goblins (hence is the leader because of both these points) and if I kill the leader I should be able to loot his leather armor (provided I didn't put too many holes in in in the process of killing him.

But I agree, armor should not be easy to come by. If I remember correctly in EQLive the first 10 lvls it actually was pretty hard to get even leather armor because you couldn't afford it(provided you weren't given free armor or money).
Old 12-15-2002, 03:49 PM
IAcbdarden
Fire Beetle

I am interested in playing on a legit EQ server. I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding people willing to play on it. I am all too willing to be a part of a legit server, and would have a lot of fun being a part of it. And as soon as i get some extra cash, I hope to put up one of my own, or perhaps help someone else out. I don't want Guilds to defend, I just want to have some good old fashioned EQ action, and have an enjoyable time doing it.

cbdarden
Old 12-16-2002, 05:16 AM
Aragain
Sarnak

RangerofStrife:

In beta guards dropped armor, no one, do i think, anyone said naked goblins would drop full leather.

You misunderstood the post, Mobs that should drop armor, would drop it, if a newbie happens to come along on a dead guard and feels like looting it, so be it.

Varant took that out to opress its players before EQ was released, becuase by god the only people who could kill a guard safely, would be a caster who couldnt it.

They compromised and came up with random armor loot, with lead to more opression, and so on, eq become what is today, l33tquest.
Old 12-16-2002, 07:24 AM
exdruid
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdarden
I am interested in playing on a legit EQ server. I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding people willing to play on it.
You would be surprised. We all rant and rave about wanting a legit server, but back before this was a reality the most asked question was something along the lines of 'Can I be level 60 with full <whatever the coolest gear was> and GM abilities?'

Beyond that, it also takes a lot of work to design a legit server. The default db is not designed for very low level areas. The are no wandering mobs, no quests, and by default everyone starts out pretty far apart. There are also a lot of zoning issues. All the uber zones are fully populated though, which just goes back to my first point.

It also requires a dedicated staff. You have to want to give the players their game. This right here cuts out the vast majority of the enthusiasts. The players will want resolutions (well, for things not caused by the emu that you can actually fix) and uptime. It's your choice whether you want to try your best to give them their game, or condemn them for demanding so much. Unfortunately, it's usually the latter.
Old 12-16-2002, 11:27 AM
IAkc7wzl
Sarnak

Quote:
I am interested in playing on a legit EQ server. I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding people willing to play on it. I am all too willing to be a part of a legit server, and would have a lot of fun being a part of it. And as soon as i get some extra cash, I hope to put up one of my own, or perhaps help someone else out. I don't want Guilds to defend, I just want to have some good old fashioned EQ action, and have an enjoyable time doing it.

cbdarden
I defanly be willing to play expt one MAJOR Problem!!! Server stablility. you try to play and every 10 to 50 mins you get booted. you know how anoing that is. I meen heck if they were stable I would have no problem playing the game the old fashion way. working at it . but at the state of the servers been so buggy and disconnecting all the time. playing legit sever has no point becouse it would take years to level up insted of days and months.

but like I said if some one makes a stable server ie does not constantly boot you. heck I would play that server almost non stop. it would be like my new home.

kc7wzl
Old 12-16-2002, 02:30 PM
hydrocyanic
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdruid
Quote:
I am interested in playing on a legit EQ server. I find it hard to believe you would have trouble finding people willing to play on it.
You would be surprised. We all rant and rave about wanting a legit server, but back before this was a reality the most asked question was something along the lines of 'Can I be level 60 with full <whatever the coolest gear was> and GM abilities?'

Beyond that, it also takes a lot of work to design a legit server. The default db is not designed for very low level areas. The are no wandering mobs, no quests, and by default everyone starts out pretty far apart. There are also a lot of zoning issues. All the uber zones are fully populated though, which just goes back to my first point.

It also requires a dedicated staff. You have to want to give the players their game. This right here cuts out the vast majority of the enthusiasts. The players will want resolutions (well, for things not caused by the emu that you can actually fix) and uptime. It's your choice whether you want to try your best to give them their game, or condemn them for demanding so much. Unfortunately, it's usually the latter.

well, i don't have that problem, i don't like lvl1 legit, i want to start at later lvl instead and with a reasonable set of armor, say.. lvl 30 pal with full set of blessed knight(twilight sea armor quest) and a weapon along with it. is it unreasonable? up to you. i would say starts at lvl 50 and follow some low end or mid end guilds in eqlive's DKP system and give us certain points to equipe ourselves of our choice, or make our own upon creating the character and the DKP of the item is made by GMs. i can volunteer to be a GM to help the in game problem(dummy in script/programming)
problem is... someone has to start a server that does that
damn.. i am posting similar stuff for every topic, oh wait, all the topic are similar :twisted:
Old 12-17-2002, 05:50 AM
IAkc7wzl
Sarnak

but that is what the non legit servers are for to level up and what not it's up the player how they play.

if I am going to play a legit server (ie the origal consept just like liveEQ) I want to start at level 1 and work up other wise what is the point realy becouse as soon as the mobs and other stuff is figured out ie getting almost just like EQlive then it would be nice to have servers that alow every thing like current servers do. and also at our finger tips legit server that you play the games as intended. between the 2 sets you coud start out what ever you whant or do it the hard it's up to you.

once you start out players with bunch of stuff and higher lever your server is not a legit server becouse you would not be playing the game totaly as intended.

so all the poeple that say I want a legit server but I want to start out with X and X well your conderdicting your selves.

here is the consept deff. of legit server "a EQemu server that in almost in all ways emulates SOE servers"

you don't have to cheat given the power you know but a legit server willl not alow cheating.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:17 AM
IAcbdarden
Fire Beetle

Well just to be clear to anyone wanting to start a legit server, I'd be more than willing to play in it and help out anyway I can. Now if I can only get the character generation screen to let me create a character without disconnecting me...
Old 12-17-2002, 11:44 AM
hydrocyanic
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc7wzl
but that is what the non legit servers are for to level up and what not it's up the player how they play.

if I am going to play a legit server (ie the origal consept just like liveEQ) I want to start at level 1 and work up other wise what is the point realy becouse as soon as the mobs and other stuff is figured out ie getting almost just like EQlive then it would be nice to have servers that alow every thing like current servers do. and also at our finger tips legit server that you play the games as intended. between the 2 sets you coud start out what ever you whant or do it the hard it's up to you.

once you start out players with bunch of stuff and higher lever your server is not a legit server becouse you would not be playing the game totaly as intended.

so all the poeple that say I want a legit server but I want to start out with X and X well your conderdicting your selves.

here is the consept deff. of legit server "a EQemu server that in almost in all ways emulates SOE servers"

you don't have to cheat given the power you know but a legit server willl not alow cheating.
starts like EQ and change accordingly, you won't see any different from lvl1 to 10 in everywhich way for sure b/c you can't
i am saying 30 cuz its in the middle, plug in any number that is 20+
anything before that there is nothing you could have done
i am not saying that giving all the stuff you want to have at the start and copying the whole eq later
change the mobs of a zone around, make it dynamic, add quests, new items, spells but starts at different lvl b/c classes are different from 30 and 1, at lvl1 classes are always tank/priest/caster, but at lvl30 its changed abit, of course you can change them at lvl 1, but everything around you need to change it as well, how so? it will take more time than you think to change them and balanced or it will never
i have never say make the server not legit, it will be as legit as any legit server is, guess what, when everyone starts at lvl30, its no different from starting from lvl1 but difference are obvious between classes
unless someone tell me how to change eqemu lvl1 game different from lvl1 in eqlive, there is no way to waste time in the lvl1 game, even starting at 50 is not unreasonable since aalvls are there, this would make you lvl 100s(if you count the aas), but 20 or 30 or whatever is much easier to handle than a lvl1
you will just have to work up the loots(since what you have on you sucks) and lvls as well, given more hp/mana/spells which the class should have, the game can have more variations than a lvl1(3classes)
how is the game not played intended when people create a character of a class they chosen with the stuff they have on them(no drops)? paladin is paladin, not a lower graded warrior, nec is nec, not a tapping wiz, druid is druid, not a crappy cleric, in no way you can define a class unless you waste the time to lvl up, but the time you lvl up a class to a class you have, its a waste of time, no matter how long it is, 1hour or 10days, you don't have to give cleric cheal or shaman slow or chanter clarity, do what you like