Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::Support > Archive::Windows Servers

Archive::Windows Servers Archive area for Windows Servers's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 02-27-2004, 02:52 PM
sb3606
Fire Beetle

Default !Minilogin help

I know this is a LOT to ask of someone, but I tried to set up my SQL server and all that stuff for the local server. I just could not do it. If someone was bored at some point and could pack up EVERYTHING required for a minilogin so that all I have to do is unzip (unrar, whatever) and change the local IP's. (obviously there may be more to do but thats just an idea)
Well, thanks for even reading this post and it's fine with me if you don't wanna waste time doing this. Thanks a lot anyway, and all at EqEmu, keep up the awesome work!
Old 02-27-2004, 09:55 PM
samandhi
Demi-God

One of your first problems MAY be this:
Quote:
but I tried to set up my SQL server
EQEMu doesnt use SQL server, it uses MySQL.....

I DOUBT very seriosly that anyone will be zipping them right and sending them your way..C'mon, nothing worth doing is gonna be totally easy, but things are much harder when you are lazy. All you have to do is follow the STEP-BY-STEP guide to setting it up and your there...

Let me ask you something. Can you download files? Can you follow directions? Do you have the knowledge to edit a notepad.txt file? Can you figure out what your IP address is? If you said yes to all of these things, then you CAN set it up yourself...

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-27-2004, 10:08 PM
wize_one
Dragon

hehe or if that fails you can send me a round trip airplane ticket, set me up in a hotel for 4days, rental car, and 500 cash and i will come out and set ya up..
Perfect quote from another site: it's immature pricks who refuse to read the numerous stickies in every forum pointing out what to do and what not to do that get flamed. Grow up and learn to do your fucking homework before opening your cake hole, junior. EQEmu doesn't like you anymore, and that's why you're getting errors. So go away.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:10 PM
samandhi
Demi-God

Quote:
hehe or if that fails you can send me a round trip airplane ticket, set me up in a hotel for 4days, rental car, and 500 cash and i will come out and set ya up..
ROFL>>>>>>

Quote:
Analysis paralysis will keep you from failing, but it will also keep you from succeeding.
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-27-2004, 11:14 PM
badk0re
Fire Beetle

LOL =p go wize =P kick some mysql azz =P
Old 02-28-2004, 08:10 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

/Off topic
BTW, Wize, I love your avatar... Obviously you made that yourself... Looks good...There should be a huge animation just like that on the main eqemulator.net page....

Quote:
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 02-28-2004, 01:05 PM
sb3606
Fire Beetle

Default Thanks anyway

LOL, nice comments, and I obviously didn't think anyone would do it but it was worth a shot haha. I can do all of what the first reply mentioned but i guess I'm just lazy. Thanks for at least replying :P
Old 03-07-2004, 10:53 AM
sb3606
Fire Beetle

Default Completed

I've since completed setting up the minilogin server, was not nearly as difficult as I thought haha. Next I'm gonna try and set up a normal server as I have a few pc's lying around.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Arremis
Fire Beetle

Default Step-By-Step Guide

How about a guide for those who don't have the thousands of dollars it takes to shell out for the latest and greatest hardware/software? Sure it's easy to follow the guide if you have This Program .2003 and That Hardware $$$$$....

I'm no dummy don't get me wrong, and I'm sure others will agree that the SEARCH BUTTON leads to a neverending path of outdated/confusing/try-this-2-years-ago type information, which I think is great, but COME ON....

I'm not expecting anyone to hold my hand here, but really, I have loaded mySQL, CVS, EQEMU, what is this Python thing?, MINILOGIN, etc....Minilogin for example....WHAT README? Downloading the file off of sourceforge is just a plain .exe file....what am I supposed to do with that?

Anyways, I think the moderators of the forum will find that loads of unnecessary problems wouldn't exist if they would just update their info, remove all the outdated info, and give us people who just learned about this 4-year old software 3 weeks ago the information we actually need....I mean I've had to delete and reinstall all this stuff 10 or so times already because I ran into outdated information that completely screwed everything up, and it still doesn't work....

And yes, the search button is still my best friend

EQEMU ROCKS!!!

Arremis - If I give her any more, Captain, she's going to blow!!!
Old 03-08-2004, 12:01 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

While I do NOT have a fix for you persay (read a guide), there IS a one stop error guide that I wrote that I keep updated. This can help, as I explain what the error IS telling you, and link it to a relevant fix (beit old or not, still functional). I do agree there is SOME information that is outdated and misleading in some cases, but the devs/admins were kind enough to provide it to us, as they didnt have to anyhhow, and also notice that a LOT of documentation that is put out there is not by the devs and admins at all but people like you and I, that know that the devs would better spend their time fixing bugs and making EQEMu better rather than making documentation for a emu that doesnt work because of spending that time on better documentation.....

Quote:
  • L.L. CoolJ
Old 03-08-2004, 01:47 AM
RexChaos
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by samandhi
I do agree there is SOME information that is outdated and misleading in some cases, but the devs/admins were kind enough to provide it to us, as they didnt have to anyhhow
I agree, but I also disagree with your line of thinking. The devs don't have to give anyone any information, but that would be like me saying "Well give the non-devs the binaries...people have been nice enough to collect data from EQ Live for you. Also, people who aren't devs have been doing a lot of bug hunting."

One won't exist without the other. I think there's a rift between the devs and a section of this community (ugh...I hate tossing that word around), but I don't know how to fix it. I think the best means is to find a PR person for the devs who is masochistic. Hehe...
Old 03-08-2004, 02:53 AM
Arremis
Fire Beetle

Default YOU GUYS ROCK!

Damn you're good....I'm glad to be a part of this project....once I get through MySQL courses I'll be able to help out a little better....but until then I'm just a lost little noob....

Arremis - Happieness is a warm puppy....lightly rotiseried and basted in garlic sauce
Old 03-08-2004, 04:49 AM
samandhi
Demi-God

Well, as you have noticed there are many people that DO NOT read the boards, they just come and ask for a "hand holding" session, and dont bother searching.. The best way YOU can help out the community ( I would say), if you dont possess the knowledge of C/C++ or MySQL commands or Perl scripting, is one of two things.

One, is to (if you DO have a live account) get any and all relevant info on the database. Merchants, their wares, spells, AA's, items, locations of mobs, spawn times, etc, etc, etc. .... You get the idea.. This would help the devs TREMENDOUSLY.

Second is to sort-of become a moderator of sorts, without actually having THAT power. Help out the noobs. Point them in the right direction, or tell them they are lazy if they need it .... Help them learn more so that THEY in turn can help out... This is the theory that I live by on this board.. I was helped out as a noob, with very noob questions, and now that I have learned how to do things, byt reading and doing myself, I try and pass that on when I can. Dont get me wrong I get those that just tend to rub me the wrong way (even with just words), and I feel like ripping them a new a-hole... but I try not to flame much, and try to keep my coments of that nature to my self <smile>.....

We used to have a mod here that was known as the newbie slayer, cause he would let you know if you just asked something that was stupid (read there were tons of posts just like it, or there was something asnwering that very question in the guides, and such). Surprisingly, even with his stern aproach to noob-ism (I think I just made that word up), a lot of people respected him (he was a very nice guy at heart you could tell once you got to know him).

Quote:
  • L.L. CoolJ