Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 09-06-2016, 01:16 AM
DanCanDo
Discordant

Default Thinking of having your own server ?

This post is strictly for those who are brand new to "wanting" their own server,
but do not have any knowledge on the whole concept of how it all comes together.
This post has nothing to do with getting it up and running.
This is only a "snippet" of understanding what you can expect after you have it
up and going. The only reason I am writing this, is because some people might not
realize a few things about the current state of the default peq database that was
installed, the quests and the ongoing updates to both them and source code.
(Not trying to give anyone "old news" here). This is entirely directed at those
who may have trouble understanding a few things. Not everyone has the same level
of technical knowledge. I am still learning as I go along and it will never end.

As we all know, the current peq is up to GoD. BUT, keep in mind, that doesn't mean
every little thing is functioning or working like it should or how you expect it to.
If you've logged on to play on any one of the servers on the EQEmu list in the
past and seen everything functioning the way you expected, it's because that server's
OP's and or devs have done all the work to make it function like that.
They have quite possibly spent weeks or months editing the database, editing the quest
scripts, etc., to get it just the way they wanted it to function. I've been working
on mine for 3 months now and still got many things to do.

Fixing all the "bugs" is usually an ongoing thing and in a lot of cases can be easier
to fix than actually finding them. If your server is not up for public play, then you
don't have the advantage of players constantly helping by reporting the bugs. So you
generally have to find them all yourself. Many are posted on these forums, which may
even include a fix for it, if you don't know how.
Anything from a door or zone point not working, an npc not spawning, a quest script
that may not even exist, let alone function, you can (and will) run into these things.

There is one thing that some people may not understand, especially if you downloaded
a "server package" like the one Akkadius has graciously put together. Behind the scenes,
there is a team working on the quest scripts. Other people are working on the peq
database. The developers are working on the source code to compile the server binaries
needed that comes with the installer. All these "teams" communicate and work together
to make all of it function with each step in a server. But when you run into something
that is not working right, it's not because these people don't know what they are doing.
In some cases, it may be because they haven't got it yet, their time is limited by RL.
In other cases, it may be something they can't do anything about, because of a barrier
they run in to. (For example, client software that won't support a function).

If you look inside your main server folder you will see files like this:
loginserver.exe , shared_memory.exe, world.exe, eqlaunch.exe, zone.exe, ucs.exe
and queryserv.exe
These are all binaries/executables that are compiled from source code.
The "start" script you may have is usually used to start your server by running these
executables, and through the information in the config files, they connect to your
database, read your quest scripts, etc.(I'm being brief on details here).

For anyone who simply wants to start up a basic home server to play on, without
concern for any little glitches in the content, then the basic install is fine.
But if you're someone who is looking for a server install and want everything working
with high expectations, you may have a lot of tedious work to do, depending on how
you want your server content to function.