Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:57 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

Default Gnomish Proving Grounds (progression, minor customizations)

Hello all,

Just giving out some info on the Gnomish Proving Grounds.

We are a progression server, currently on Kunark but nearing Velious. We will not progress beyond PoP (I don't like the other expansions..). We will likely start VP some time next week. We are farming Trakanon now for keys.

There is various custom loot, such as ring mail and cloth having minor stats and dropping off newbie mobs, so people won't be naked. Also, most NPCs drop 2x their loot (quicker equipping). Certain pre-nerf items exist and certain items drop off original mobs (jboots, de mask, etc). Epic quests work! If there are any problems discovered, they are corrected. Many people have epics now.

Experience is fast 1-50 due to increased exp bonuses in old world exp zones. So you can catch up easy. A casual player playing a few hours a day can get 50 in a week (or weekend) and join the raiding. 2 boxing is encouraged. Max chars per ip is 4. If this starts to cause bandwidth issues, it will be reduced accordingly. You only lose half exp when you die and you respawn with your gear.

Guilds are allowed, but must allow others to play with them and generally be nice. If you think you are doing a dick move, think twice - I will see it in the logs or hear about it and there is little tolerance for it. There are two guilds on the server now, mine and another. The other are friendly, inclusive people.

I have enough bandwidth for ~75 players at peak. So far, peak numbers are 30-40 players nightly. Backups occur daily (3 AM). I am an IT professional; rest assured the server will be stable.

On a technology basis, I am committed to meet whatever the server's needs are out of pocket. Donations are not accepted at this time.

We have a forum: www.tarekfadel.com/eqemu

I am working on some custom Velious content now that will involve retaining old/classic gear (original drops, Kunark drops) to keep them relevant in the Velious era, but not to overpower Velious items. This concept will likely carry over to future expansions.

If you like EQ up to PoP, please join us!
Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
kegluas
Fire Beetle

ive been playing here for a few weeks and it rly is a lot of fun.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

First Veeshan's Peak raid is now scheduled for next weekend. We have ~24+ keyed people now.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

Bump still going strong. Now that the Thanksgiving break is done we are resuming our normal raiding schedule.

We have farmed Trak a lot and are just finishing up some VP keys. Once Phara Dar is down I will release velious.

If you are looking for a classicish progression server with minor customizations for an authentic feel, this is the place for you. There is a big exp bonus in classic exp zones so 1-50 should only take a couple nights.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:14 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

Oh yes, I did add one big customization to Velious now but it will not throw off any balance.

I added a quest that involves old armor to update it to still be relevant in Velious, but not overpower Velious armors. It involves stealing some treasure for gnomish pirates and your old armor.....
Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
VoodooChild
Fire Beetle

came back to EQ after a few years off, definitely liking the server setup and the fact it won't go past PoP- I agree about not liking the expansions after that. Good idea with the extra newb loot and whatnot.

One question, did you open more of Velious now? I happened to see someone link RyGorr Battlemail last night
Old 12-17-2008, 03:57 PM
partylwc
Fire Beetle

opened iceclad and eastern wastes
Old 12-20-2008, 02:34 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

Server is still going strong. I noticed some other servers at our level are no longer in the market place...

I keep seeing new people every day.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 AM
gnode
Hill Giant

Update:

I spent some time this week making Plane of Mischief a good zone. I added back in the necessary 1.0 npcs and drops to make the class armors work. I also added in some 1.0 loot (ie, blam stick). I also made the drops more tolerable. It will still take you quite some time to get everything you want here, but you won't slit your wrists like on live.

I also added the nexus as a hub. There is a buffer that will buff low level spells (ie, celerity, clarity 1, chloro, etc) and a soul binder, and general supplies merchant (backpacks, food, gnomish hover-board).
Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Almost Crimes
Fire Beetle

This server looks interesting but I get a lot of lag / crashing during zoning, which I don't get on the other servers... :(

Might just be me though, not trying to talk shit about your server bro.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:59 PM
gnode
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almost Crimes View Post
This server looks interesting but I get a lot of lag / crashing during zoning, which I don't get on the other servers... :(

Might just be me though, not trying to talk shit about your server bro.
Hmmm that is too bad. Do you notice any patterns about when that is? I have not heard other complaints.

Little update on the server. We now typically have 25-40 players on all the time. Several people have epics now.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 AM
gnode
Hill Giant

We cleared VP and Velious is completely released now.

We usually have 30-45 players on at all times now. Get in while the gettin is good.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Redik
Fire Beetle

I 2nd that
Old 01-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Silentrath
Fire Beetle

I don't see the server in the server list??? hrmm kinda strange
Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Redik
Fire Beetle

Yeah I noticed that too.. anyone have any idea where its at