Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

View Poll Results: Do you think this is a good idea?
Yes 104 86.67%
No 16 13.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2004, 03:45 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Default Server Registration (VOTE)

I got this idea from Wiz's server listing post, where he wanted people to list their server name, type, description, webpage, etc so that the users could find servers they would be interested in without having to connect to each one of them. Now how can server registration possibly help in this regard? Easily, we make a page (and by we I mean me) that allows users to register and specify that information, one that displays a list of all servers that have been active within the last 3 days, and one that allows users to edit their information in case they change their server type. Registration probably wouldnt be mandatory so that users who dont want their server public dont have to. I think this would help people running servers get more publicity and players should find it makes it easier to find a server they might be interested in playing on.

Any Thoughts?
Old 10-12-2004, 04:50 AM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

You could tie it to being green. In other words, green servers have more information available about them....
Old 10-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

good idea, anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-12-2004, 07:10 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Except that takes away the meaning of green. Stable dedicated server. It would instead mean "registered on the website" and there would be a flood of home dsl / cable servers on the green.
Old 10-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

We could always make those servers "Legend Servers"
Old 10-12-2004, 07:17 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

True true. Up to you i guess =)

I just think the true "dedicated" servers in server farms should be kept seperate from the everyday home servers. Otherwise itll be all jumbled together.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:52 AM
mattmeck

The first thing I think of is all the here today gone tomorow servers, what happens when there is information on 25 servers but only 5 of them are up anymore? You going to have a time limit where if a server isnt up for say a week there information is taken off?

It is a good idea, as long as there is a way to have information for server that arent up taken off on a regular basis or the forums will get spammed with threads asking were server X and Y are.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:59 AM
layziethekid
Fire Beetle

Could always post a time of the last update. Or have Dev's of the server send monthly e-mails to insure its still up.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer

Quote:
The first thing I think of is all the here today gone tomorow servers, what happens when there is information on 25 servers but only 5 of them are up anymore? You going to have a time limit where if a server isnt up for say a week there information is taken off?

It is a good idea, as long as there is a way to have information for server that arent up taken off on a regular basis or the forums will get spammed with threads asking were server X and Y are.
This has already been thought of. Per my original post:

Quote:
Easily, we make a page (and by we I mean me) that allows users to register and specify that information, one that displays a list of all servers that have been active within the last 3 days
If a server isnt active in 72 hours (3 days) it is not displayed. It wont be deleted, it just wont show up until they are back up again.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:36 AM
mattmeck

good stuff then 2 thumbs up
Old 10-12-2004, 11:48 AM
Speedz
Hill Giant

Yes I like this idea.

I also agree with seperating home servers from high bandwidth servers.

As I host a home server I sure wouldn't want to be flooded with more than my comp/connection can handle, then getting a bunch of angry tells/ PM's here on the forums for connection issues.

I also think there should be a user rating system of the servers listed.

like a questionaire on various areas of server performance.

like a 1 to 10 rating system based on simple thing like :

server stability:
story line:
community feel:
GM personality:
responce to petitions:
zone performance (different than stability, ie: general issues, pathing, zoneing correctly and safe etc...) :
server speed (zone times):
update frequency:
character retention after server upgrades/updates:
Bugs (playable or not):

etc.... I am sure more can be thought of.

Also a population counter on the 5.8/5.9 server selection would be great. I miss that about seeing the Scorp server selection screen for 5.7
Old 10-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Cripp
Discordant

i say you let anyone register there servers. and take em off if they arent active on the list. like you said in first post dont do any green server only thingy or anything like that :lol:

www.nugblazers.com
Old 10-12-2004, 12:58 PM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Green means stable dedicated server? and exactly what do i have to do to get mine there? it is stable and dedicated . Oh and this does not sound like such a bad idea.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 10-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Cisyouc
Demi-God

Quote:
it is stable and dedicated
Dedicated as in a dedicated server in a server center? Or dedicated as in committed?

Heh.
namespace retval { template <class T> class ReturnValueGen { private: T x; public: ReturnValueGen() { x = 0; }; T& Generator() { return x; }; }; } int main() { retval::ReturnValueGen<int> retvalue; return retvalue.Generator(); }
C++ is wonderful.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:43 PM
White Phantom
Fire Beetle

I think this is a smart idea!!! lol i've been having problems with this and finally someone understands me