Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::General Support

Support::General Support Post all topics here having to do with errors while trying to connect to an EQEMu server but not about the setup/running of the Server itself.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:57 AM
somethingnothing
Fire Beetle

Default What kind of computer works best to run eqemu?

Hi, I'm a new user. I am very eager to start playing again. I have tried the emu shards of dalaya and had fun playing it, however there was something wrong and the graphic card gave out/game became unplayable. I was planning on building a new machine with my brother just to play eqemu. I was wondering what kind of hardware I would need to have eqemu run smoothly. Thanks for any help you could offer.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Drahkon
Fire Beetle

To be completely honest with you, I have a Compaq Presario that I probably got 6 years ago with 512MB ram, 3400+AMD Atthon 64 processor, built in motherboard everything (It runs EQ at about 5 FPS) And it serves me great as a stable POS server computer. The greatest part about it is, in my opinion, the fact that it still has XP..I couldn't for the life of me get it all set up in vista.

So, between you and your friend, honestly just about anything that turns on works.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:22 AM
djeryv
Hill Giant

I would like to also agree here (about the server hardware anyway). Sometimes you see these posted questions and people would come on and say...

"You are going to need a Pentium XII with 23GB RAM and a dedicated fiber connection...otherwise your server will really suck"

...but I run a server that had, at the most, 4 people on at any one time and you can use just about anything to run it. Maybe people say you need a big machine because they plan to run hundreds of players.

I think this needs to be said more often because some people get discouraged by reading these off the wall server requirements...when they really just have a pc lying around and they want to mess around on their own EQ server with a couple friends.

- Djeryv
Old 08-18-2010, 08:50 AM
trevius
Developer

Unless I am mistaken, I think he is asking for stats to play the game, not to run a server. Yeah, server stats don't need to be too high unless you plan to have a very popular server. But playing PC stats do need to be decent if you want really nice performance, especially if you want to multi-box and/or run on max settings.

I would recommend at least:

2GB of ram
128MB video card
Nealy any Multi-Core CPU

If multi-boxing, the more RAM the better, so if you can get 4GB or more, that would be best. Upping the Video card RAM and speed a bit will help with performance as well. Basically, I would recommend going with any current budget value gaming setup. High end is not really required.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
djeryv
Hill Giant

I wasn't sure because they wrote...

Quote:
I was wondering what kind of hardware I would need to have eqemu run smoothly
...so my mind was thinking the server machine.

-Djeryv
Old 08-26-2010, 11:01 AM
somethingnothing
Fire Beetle

Can eqemu run with Windows XP Professional?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:16 PM
trevius
Developer

Yes, it runs fine on all versions of windows back to windows 2k. Some versions may have more issues than others, but they all work if you put any fixes in that they may need to run correctly.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Bellos
Hill Giant

Yeah get atleast 2 gb of ram and a cpu of atleast 2.8 ghz +.

Ram and CPU seem to be Eqs biggest thing
Old 08-28-2010, 05:31 PM
xxGriff
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellos View Post
Yeah get atleast 2 gb of ram and a cpu of atleast 2.8 ghz +.

Ram and CPU seem to be Eqs biggest thing
would disagree. while there is importance, the GPU and rendering pipes, mem interface and amount of RAM on your video card as well as its speed make a greater difference.

I have several systems here and a mid to high end discreet video card with 256m+ RAM fair better in game than just high CPU clock and system RAM.

my best example is a 2.9ghz dual core AMD(AM3) with 2gb DDR-800 Win XP sp3 and a ATI 4670 512m on card icannot match the play on a 2.3ghz AMD (AM2) with 2gb DDR-800 Win 7 with a nVidia GT 9800 512m. both 32-bit OS.

EQ client does not get bottle necked at CPU trying to feed the GPU like more modern titles. even a fast single core (2.4ghz+)and a x1800 or nVidia 7900GT or newer video card will peform well within acceptable framrates. a dual or multi core being an advantage of you are running more than one client at a time or server on the same system.

while clock speed and RAM amount matter, the video card impacts EQ performance more.