Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:52 PM
trevius
Developer

Default Buy Seeds of Destruction NOW!

BUY Seeds of Destruction NOW!!!

We have started work on getting the Everquest: Seeds of Destruction expansion from Steam to be compatible with EQEmu. It was on sale for $2.50, but has returned to it's normal price of $19.99 for now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24130/

The client currently can't even log into the EQEmu Login Server yet, but Rogean is working on that and should hopefully have it working any day now. The SoD client is already almost caught up with SoF, and is already very playable and ready for player testing as soon as the Login Server can allow it to log in. From what I can tell so far, it looks like the SoD client is much more stable than the SoF client is, and maybe even better than Titanium is since they added multi-core CPU support among other great performance and stability features.

Since it is a digital download, that means you will be able to get it instantly instead of having to wait for it to come in the mail. I highly recommend making a copy of the install folder somewhere on your harddrive (or burn it to a DVD) so you will have a backup in case you mess the client up or need to install it fresh again at some point.

I am excited to get this new client going with EQEmu. I think it has the potential to not only add access to new content including 20 new zones, 40 new NPC races, and dozens of new weapon models among other game features, but also has the potential to be the most stable and bug-free client that EQEmu has ever seen. Only time will tell for sure, but my hopes are high at this point from what I have seen so far. Stay tuned for more news on this new client version!

If you are interested in the status of the Development for the SoD client, see the following thread where we are tracking it:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30867

See you in SoD soon!

EDIT: Got in game and here is the first screenshot:

EDIT2: Even more progress being made with the SoD client. Now almost all core systems are functioning (Items, Spells, Spawns, Attack, Looting, AAs, etc etc). I think we have all of the opcodes now and just need to adjust a few more structs for things like grouping, and more spawn struct clean-up and such. Not bad for a couple of days worth of work. Huge thanks for Derision and KLS as well as a few others that have helped make it this far so quickly

Here is another screenshot to show some more progress:

EDIT3: The client has nearly all bugs worked out now and is ready for player testing as soon as the Login Server will let players log in while using SoD.

Hopefully Rogean will have time to try to get the public LS working with the SoD client soon.

EDIT4: The amazing sale price is now over and it has returned to it's previous price of $19.99. Updated this post to reflect that.

Last edited by trevius; 04-05-2010 at 04:39 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
pfyon
Discordant

Just got it for my steam account. I should note, I got secrets of faydwer for free at the same time apparently (at least, I didn't have it before and now it is also in my games list).
Old 03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
KLS
Administrator

Yeah I got SoF for free too.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM
pfyon
Discordant

So that's a good deal anyway for someone who doesn't have SoF. $2.50 US and it includes SoF for free, no shipping.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:05 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

Wow excellent deal! Just got my copy as well, and recommend others to do as well. Thank to Trevius for this info.
The new zones and content will keep me busy updating the tools for some time, but worth it in the end

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//

Last edited by GeorgeS; 03-23-2010 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM
trevius
Developer

Oh, I was wondering where that SoF purchase came from lol. Well, that's cool. Even if SoD doesn't wind up working with EQEmu for some reason (I am pretty sure it will work), it wouldn't be hard to make sure the steam SoF that comes with the purchase will work with it. So, making the SoD purchase now should at least get you a working SoF client if nothing else. If the Steam SoF client is a bit newer than the retail one (probably is), then it might even work better than the retail SoF we have now, anyway. And it would just mean a few opcode updates to get it working. I may download the free SoF from steam (that came with SoD) tonight and see what is up with it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM
trevius
Developer

Actually, Rogean/KLS/Cavedude, do you guys have a problem with me moving this thread into the news section so it updates the front page for the few days that the sale is going on? Then I can move it back out again after the sale or whatever. Just trying to spread the news as much as possible before the sale ends.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM
steve
Discordant

Are you sure this is downloading a time frozen copy?

I'm downloading it now through Steam and it just downloaded brellsrest.zon - which is a part of Underfoot. The content Steam says it is downloading is SoD.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:05 AM
trevius
Developer

All I know is that the eqgame.exe is from Dec 21 2008, which was shortly after SoD came out. If it has extra zones and such, that shouldn't really matter. We will know more once we can get in game.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Taurinus
Hill Giant

Thumbs up

Grabbed mine as well (with SoF...already had it but cool stuff).

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:55 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Actually, Rogean/KLS/Cavedude, do you guys have a problem with me moving this thread into the news section so it updates the front page for the few days that the sale is going on? Then I can move it back out again after the sale or whatever. Just trying to spread the news as much as possible before the sale ends.
There you go.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM
Irreverent
The Solo Server

My concern was patch level too. I have many games, as well as several SoE games, through steam that DO distribute the latest patch version of the game.

So if you buy your SoD now, someone a month from now may have a different patch level.

Could this potentially cause a problem?
Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irreverent View Post
My concern was patch level too. I have many games, as well as several SoE games, through steam that DO distribute the latest patch version of the game.

So if you buy your SoD now, someone a month from now may have a different patch level.

Could this potentially cause a problem?
It's been the same .exe on there for at least 2 years now. I don't think they'll change it, but you never know. Best to get it now.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Eva Aisling
Sarnak

I can't order anything online. Does this mean I'm going to miss out on any potential new content for EQ Emu because it will require the Steam version of the expansion?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 AM
cavedude
The PEQ Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Aisling View Post
I can't order anything online. Does this mean I'm going to miss out on any potential new content for EQ Emu because it will require the Steam version of the expansion?
Yes, but blame Sony. They have said there will be no more DVD releases, leaving us with no other choice.