Old 10-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Akkadius
Administrator

Default Loginserver Changes

Grats to Varlyndria on Green status.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Ozzudan
Fire Beetle

Now if only the three other servers who actually deserve green could get it instead of the one server that's pay to win...... sad day for EMU.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:51 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzudan View Post
Now if only the three other servers who actually deserve green could get it instead of the one server that's pay to win...... sad day for EMU.
Strong first post. The door is that way ---->
Old 10-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzudan View Post

Non Donators are more than capable of achieving almost every item on the server but it takes a bit more work than somebody who has helped with the financial stability of Varlyndria by donating. That's really fair when you think about it and your comment about "pay-to-win" is extremely unfair. Without help the server wouldn't exist. Do you expect to get on every server of emu and just play for free without ever lending a hand to the people who work hours to bring you the place? I've even donated to my fair share of emu servers over the years before I became a dev and actually had the time to play around. It's common courtesy and appreciation for the work that's put into it. Even with that said, players who don't donate can literally get all items on Varlyndria except 1 mythical item which is Tier 10 only. That's pretty fair! Now if donators were getting 100% of the best items and a non donator could never achieve anything close I could see you having some validity to your point but that's not the case.

Also, you probably played a long time ago before I did some major changes to the server which greatly helped new players, new drop zones for armor sets, new augment NPCs for low level progression, Bazaar gives plat for just being inside there every 5 minutes.. New players have it really good on Varlyndria now and progression is greatly improved for lower levels. Those older changes were simply growing pains and made the new player experience a lot rougher than I had wanted and overall was a rookie dev choice, but honestly I feel you're jumping the gun thinking I would shaft all new players so much over the course of Varlyndria's life.

With that said, I'm sorry you had an earlier (bad) experience and I welcome you back to try the new changes out.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

win? who -ever- "wins" at everquest? what are we winning? who are we winning against? i must have missed seeing the "sour grapes" server the last time i was browsing the list. i'm not sure how i managed as it is apparently filled with players! i need glasses...

in all seriousness, if there's a server you think deserves green status, try getting off your can and making it meet the requirements instead of whining. if it's such a fantastic server, it shouldn't be all that difficult. all it takes is a good idea, some dedicated development, and advertisement. if the people who are actually playing on varlyndria had any issues, i'm sure we'd hear about it from more than just two lonely malcontents.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
Without help the server wouldn't exist.
That's the line that every server op uses to get donations and its total bullshit for 99% of servers. First off, the only servers that require a dedicated server are running 100's of people concurrently(PEQ, P1999, EZ) and secondly there are tons of free server hosts within this community, just ask.

The big line of bullshit is when people host the server out of their house and then claim to need donations to pay for upgraded residential service and all sorts of meaningless upgrades for their personal computer.

That said, if you run open ended donation systems, you are shady. Their is a finite amount of money needed to host a server and their is no reason to collect money for 5+ years of hosting(get the bills paid with a safe cushion, close it up, reopen when needed). Obviously that won't work when you build half your content around donation items but then its pretty clear whats going on with the money.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:16 PM
c0ncrete
Dragon

valid points, but they have no bearing on the server's status. the primary (implied) argument has been that it shouldn't be green because of the donation system. the guys who are complaining aren't making a stink about any non-green servers that accept donations, just the green ones.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Drakiyth
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caryatis View Post
That's the line that every server op uses to get donations and its total bullshit for 99% of servers. First off, the only servers that require a dedicated server are running 100's of people concurrently(PEQ, P1999, EZ) and secondly there are tons of free server hosts within this community, just ask.

The big line of bullshit is when people host the server out of their house and then claim to need donations to pay for upgraded residential service and all sorts of meaningless upgrades for their personal computer.

That said, if you run open ended donation systems, you are shady. Their is a finite amount of money needed to host a server and their is no reason to collect money for 5+ years of hosting(get the bills paid with a safe cushion, close it up, reopen when needed). Obviously that won't work when you build half your content around donation items but then its pretty clear whats going on with the money.

There is nothing Shady about any of this. If players want to help and donate they do if they don't they don't. I'm not selling anything on the server. I give gifts based on players reaching a certain tier. It's not like you can pick something out and purchase it out-right. Rewards are based on tier status of how much a player has donated. It's completely legit. In no time in Varlyndria's life has a player had the ability to pick out an Epic or a certain item from a list only and just buy it out-right. Donation packages are completely optional and are linear 1,2,3,4,5 etc but they even stack! You actually have the ability in Varlyndria to reach the highest tier just by donating a little every month. There is ZERO unfairness to the donation system. It's more fair than anything on EMU probably. Not saying THF or other servers are wrong for what they do, as I have personally donated to their cause myself when I was a player.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

True, having never played on Varlyndria, I can't comment on the quality.

On the other hand, the people donating to these servers obviously don't mind and its their money to spend(and lets be honest, if people want to give you money, it would be more foolish to not take it).
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Ozzudan
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
valid points, but they have no bearing on the server's status. the primary (implied) argument has been that it shouldn't be green because of the donation system. the guys who are complaining aren't making a stink about any non-green servers that accept donations, just the green ones.
Since when is the EMU project about making money or running a business? Was this the vision from the start? I highly doubt that. And no the donations have no bearing on the server status.... having it hosted and backed by Akka does but I digress. Accepting donations to cover server costs is one thing but this guy is running a business here and "I" do not like that. Its my opinion and if you can't see that for what it is then well I don't need to finish that statement. As far as the other servers that deserve green they have been covered over the last few months but they don't have someone of importance to back them so nothing has been done and before anyone starts no I am not talking about EQ Titan.

Anyway have a nice day.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Paladinsteve
Sarnak

Maze_EQ, is that you hiding behind a fake account?

THF is pay to win .. its Gold, Does anyone care? I sure don't, people pay whatever they want whatever they think its worth.

I could say the same thing for EZ server, it's also gold.

See a trend here? Once again, I care less and i don't see how it effects anyone, people will play on servers they like, period. I would think like most people like myself, i server hop and random log into all kinds of server.

Is Varlyndria pay to win? Prob, but once again, it does not effect you. People will continue to pay whatever they think items are worth. Im sure they are getting less people to donate to just support the cause. Most people just want the items.

All im trying to say here there is OTHER POPULAR SERVERS THAT ARE ALSO PAY TO WIN IN SOME SENSE. THF is the worst of the bunch if you played there but thats their thing.

I'm getting tired of reading comments of who deserves what due to donations.
Especially consider if you don't even play there. Its the PLAYER'S CHOICE if they wish to play there it's the PLAYER's CHOICE if they donate. If you don't like something on a server, complain on their forums. If that don't work, leave -- its a game.

THE END.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

I really wish people could stop worrying about everyone else putting there nose in everyone's business where it don't belong. If people are willing to pay they must be doing something right but its really none of anyone's business who spends there own money on something they want. I don't know what kind of world people live in where they don't work hard for there money and they can't decide what they want to spend it on. Seriously people need to find something better to do with there free time because they must have a lot of it to sit around telling people what they can and cant do or spend there own hard earned money on.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Hilarity you calling me out as if I'm hiding under a false account.

You should probably stop making servers bro, your last one stayed around for a whole month.

Kudos to you.

have fun, learn how to investigate.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Paladinsteve
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Hilarity you calling me out as if I'm hiding under a false account.
It only took you over a week to reply to this.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Caryatis
Dragon

Quote:
It only took you over a week to reply to this.
SICK BURN DUDE!!