Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:30 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzudan View Post
Since when is the EMU project about making money or running a business? Was this the vision from the start? I highly doubt that. And no the donations have no bearing on the server status.... having it hosted and backed by Akka does but I digress. Accepting donations to cover server costs is one thing but this guy is running a business here and "I" do not like that. Its my opinion and if you can't see that for what it is then well I don't need to finish that statement. As far as the other servers that deserve green they have been covered over the last few months but they don't have someone of importance to back them so nothing has been done and before anyone starts no I am not talking about EQ Titan.

Anyway have a nice day.
my opinion that you (and anyone else complaining about the status change of a server that you likely don't even play on) take yourself entirely too seriously is of no less importance than your opinion. if you can't see that for what it is, then you're as much of a hypocrite as you are a crybaby.

as for "the vision"... you've made a total of two posts, and both have been in this thread. so let's not pretend you've got a lot invested in anything other than your ego, shall we?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Oh wow, over a week?

Possibly because people have other things to do than troll forums 24/7 trying to come up with slick comebacks?

Get a fucking life kid.

While you're at it, find something productive to do with your spare time.

I happened to come across this post because I just opened my laptop and hit refresh.

Shows you how pro I am.

I'll let Caryatis take the lead on this one, he'll be sure to rip you a new anal cavity.

Kkthxbai.

Protip-Romney was the better choice..

Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Paladinsteve
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Oh wow, over a week?

Possibly because people have other things to do than troll forums 24/7 trying to come up with slick comebacks?

Get a fucking life kid.

While you're at it, find something productive to do with your spare time.

I happened to come across this post because I just opened my laptop and hit refresh.

Shows you how pro I am.

I'll let Caryatis take the lead on this one, he'll be sure to rip you a new anal cavity.

Kkthxbai.

I don't think I will see someone rage so hard for a server going green ever again. Lol

And why would Carystis have anything to say about this? He is not the one in a full force rage over the subject. Just seems to be you. Sure he is a troll but my concern was not with him, just you.

Out of anyone else, if you had your way Varylndria would never see the light of day the way you seem to speak of it. It's shit like this that pisses me off, yet you continue to rage. And it just baffels me to no end.

Care less about other server's and more about your own.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:25 AM
trevius
Developer

That's enough please. Any more drama in this thread and it will be locked and temp bans may need to go out, since this is an official warning on the subject.

Responses and discussions are fine as long as they can stay civil.

I don't doubt that there are other servers out there that could use Green status. Any server that can maintain a decent player-base and remains up with active devs for a few months should certainly be considered for it. Rogean handles the actual changes for status like that, and he normally runs them by the devs to see if they get yays or nays for the new status. It doesn't happen too often, but it does happen.

Of course, there are certain things that will prevent servers from making it on the green or gold lists. This is mostly only for servers doing things that are frowned on by other server owners and devs, such as servers that try to make copies of another server without the owners permission. It wasn't long ago that people were trying to make copies of EZ server by using the Extractor to collect all spawns and such to make an exact copy. We won't stop a server from doing that type of thing, but we don't have to support it and give them raised status and such.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Ozzudan
Fire Beetle

I was long done with this anyway Trev and all I did was state my opinion I was never uncivil. Would have been nice to get some kind of relevant response as to whether or not the EMU is for profit or not cause from what I am seeing from the responses to what I said it would be a resounding yes. Anyway I'm done and back to just lurking like I have been since 08.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:27 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzudan View Post
I was long done with this anyway Trev and all I did was state my opinion I was never uncivil. Would have been nice to get some kind of relevant response as to whether or not the EMU is for profit or not cause from what I am seeing from the responses to what I said it would be a resounding yes. Anyway I'm done and back to just lurking like I have been since 08.
I wasn't really referring to your posts, it was the others that were starting to get nasty with each other. Though, your first post was a bit of a shot at a server, that as far as I know does not deserve it. Flaming servers is against the forum rules, mainly to reduce drama. See rule 6:

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28924

Not a big deal since it didn't get too carried away.

EQEmu is not for profit as you suggest. Individual servers are able to do just about whatever they like, though. Their actions may or may not effect their status in the server list.

I believe that Rogean is the only person setup to get donations directly made to EQEmu and considering that he hosts the website and Login server for our whole community, I don't have a problem with that. I don't know how much he gets donations directly for EQEmu or how often, but I would guess it probably isn't much and may not even fully cover the costs for our hosting (since we are on some pretty badass hardware and network connection).

Most of the other devs for EQEmu don't see any money from it at all. I was probably one of the few, but that is because I have ran my own server for years and had some very basic packages for it that went to costs for the server (upgrades, upgraded ISP connection, electricity 24X7, etc). It wasn't much.

Most of the servers that actually make decent money such as (and I am speculating here) EZ and THF, are not directly affiliated with EQEmu. They don't have people from their teams on the EQEmu staff and to my knowledge they are not paying anything back to EQEmu to get any special treatment. Those 2 examples are just servers that are heavily populated and have earned the gold status by meeting the criteria. I have been on the EQEmu team for years and my server was one of the top custom servers at one point, but it was never a gold status. That should speak to the fact that we try to remain fair and unbiased when making decisions to change server status and such.

As for Varlyndria getting green status, I believe that was decided because they have a higher population than most of the white servers (check player averages on the server list). If there are other servers that you think should be considered and they meet the basic criteria for it, then feel free to make the suggestion to get their status changed. Unless their is some specific reason not to give a server status, I am generally a yes vote if one is brought up.

Keep in mind that Rogean isn't always actively looking for servers that might deserve a status change. He mostly relies on others to recognize that a server deserves to be considered for a status change and then will bring it to a vote from the team.

That being said, here are the general guidelines we try to go by for choosing when a server should get a status change:

Green Status:
1. Server has been up for at least 3 months straight.
2. Server has 95% or greater uptime.
3. Server has ~50+ players on at peak daily and maybe ~25+ average for Green status.
4. Server is in good standing in the community and with the EQEmu team.

Gold Status:
1. Server has been up for at least 6 months straight.
2. Server has 99% or greater uptime.
3. Server has ~150+ players on at peak daily and maybe ~75+ average for Green status.
4. Server is in good standing in the community and with the EQEmu team.

These are not hard set rules, but are just the general idea of what we try to go by for server status change candidates. So, please don't rage if some server does or does not meet these requirements and has a status other than what would be mandated by these guidelines.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:01 AM
DexxMexx
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
Actually Gary Johnson would of been a better choice