Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:07 AM
trevius
Developer

I already made it in game just using the .conf file I created for the Jan 16th patch for EQExtractor:

Obviously there are some issues. Only 1 item loaded in my inventory (which is interesting that it didn't crash the client as that normally would), and position updates are off so NPCs aren't where they should be. It is hard to test anything else atm due to the position updates being off so if I try to click a merchant or whatever I am actually too far away from it as far as the server is concerned even though it looks like it is right next to me.

I was afraid that Steam might start doing updates like this. The people on the EQ2Emu team mentioned that they did it for EQ2 on Steam already so I knew it was a possibility. Though, it obviously isn't updated every patch, more like every 2 months which isn't quite as bad.

The Steam updates are both good and bad. They are bad obviously because it means we need to figure out a good way to deal with it and more work to keep up with it. They are good because it should mean there is less chance EQ1 will drop off of Steam again for an extended amount of time like it did after UF. It is also easier to keep up if we are dealing with small patches more frequently as apposed to huge patches less often. It requires more regular work, which is annoying, but the work has more focus and should be able to be done in a couple nights in most cases.

I imagine Steam has the update system automated. It probably just does an update on a regular schedule like every 2 months. If we can figure out the exact schedule of it, we can be more prepared for it, which helps development and players (since players will know why their recently acquired Steam download doesn't work).
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 PM
landofsand
Fire Beetle

I don't wish to step out of line, but have there been any advancements in this endeavor over the last 3 months? It's much appreciated.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Uleat
Developer

I'm about to open an inventory conversion branch, but don't expect an immediate result. Converting to a new inventory system requires a LOT
of work and collaboration.

I've spent the last 3-4 months trying to figure out how implement this change, but the best help came with the use of a good, code visualization
program.

Some of the current limitations we have with RoF:
- Cursor buffer
- New Inventory slot usage
- Bags greater than 10 in size
- New Augmentation slot
- Krono slot handling

I think I can address some of the other known issues at the same time, but any non-related changes will only delay the deployment time.

Once this system is in place, hopefully we can get some more of the features working properly..and the updated client build as well.

Don't think we've forgotten about it

Compilin' Dirty
Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM
nybot
Fire Beetle

I'm really excited that the project might meet up with live!
Is there anything a non-coder could do to assist?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 PM
dtinyprince
Fire Beetle

Question: If I download this from steam right now it is no longer going to work is it?
Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 PM
FievelMousey
Hill Giant

No it will no longer work been patched.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Uleat
Developer

For the time being, that is correct.

There are plans to update support for the RoF v2 client, but I need to finish what I'm working on before they can do that.

Note:
v1 client - Build date Dec 2012
v2 client - Build date Feb 2013 (current Steam download)

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-27-2013, 06:01 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

@Uleat,

Now you have me all curious as to what you are working on...

You seem to stay pretty busy.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Uleat
Developer

I'm as busy as a tortoise crossing the state of Texas..not on I-40, mind you..but on I-10

Nothing spectacular..just trying to break the Inventory system.

I seem to be making great headway in it too!

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-27-2013, 08:20 PM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I'm as busy as a tortoise crossing the state of Texas..not on I-40, mind you..but on I-10

Nothing spectacular..just trying to break the Inventory system.

I seem to be making great headway in it too!
Slacker. Break it better!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:58 PM
Uleat
Developer

I don't know how KLS feels about it, but Intellisense stopped talking to me weeks ago

Compilin' Dirty
Old 07-29-2013, 05:12 AM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
v2 client - Build date Feb 2013 (current Steam download)
They still have the same Feb client on Steam? I wonder if we get that version supported, will they update it again? I wouldn't doubt they are watching these forums for exactly that to happen lol. Maybe I can find a bit of time to get the V2 client caught up to at least the V1 client. Then, as soon as the new slot system is done, we would have a new working client at least until they update again :P

I may need to review Derision's system for inheriting patch files so we only have to adjust things that change on new client versions. That is, if I can find where he put that info (I think it was pastebin) and if I can find the time to actually work on it.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
jsr
Hill Giant

I know I've said it before, but I reallly don't understand the business sense behind Sony not supporting an emulator friendly client. I'd be interested to know how many unique email accounts the emu has on file, as a significant percentage of them could represent a sale to Sony. Modding communities are a staple market for games past a certain age.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM
liquest
"Special" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
They still have the same Feb client on Steam? I wonder if we get that version supported, will they update it again? I wouldn't doubt they are watching these forums for exactly that to happen lol. Maybe I can find a bit of time to get the V2 client caught up to at least the V1 client. Then, as soon as the new slot system is done, we would have a new working client at least until they update again :P

I may need to review Derision's system for inheriting patch files so we only have to adjust things that change on new client versions. That is, if I can find where he put that info (I think it was pastebin) and if I can find the time to actually work on it.
I dont know exactly if its updated for sure but i am going to say yes it is. With the 2nd part of the Rain of Fear expansion being released recently im sure the client itself has been updated.

Liquest Auctions, WTB AA's up to the current compatable clients PST with offer.

"A casual stroll through a lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." ~Fredrick Nietzsche

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.." ~Albert Einstein
Old 07-30-2013, 03:52 PM
Uleat
Developer

Trev, they only update when you update the client support...

We've had that conversation!

Compilin' Dirty