Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::News

General::News EQemu news posts.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:36 AM
KLS
Administrator

Default CMake!

As of today EQEmu now builds with CMake! Shocking I know.

Hopefully there are no problems and there are basic instructions at the wiki(http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CMake)

This should help with the difficulty of building this project from source as well as being more maintainable for the developers.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:50 AM
KLS
Administrator

An aside: UCS is broken under CMake, I'm working on fixing it but if you can't live without it I suggest you use a previous revision. Sorry!

The issue with UCS is hopefully addressed now.

Last edited by KLS; 01-19-2013 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

i finally got around to giving CMake a shot this morning. it was painless (vs2010 32bit). i had more trouble merging the recent int changes in the source with one of my custom patches, honestly.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
i finally got around to giving CMake a shot this morning. it was painless (vs2010 32bit). i had more trouble merging the recent int changes in the source with one of my custom patches, honestly.
LOL me too. The int changes put conflicts in all my custom files and it was like FU!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM
c0ncrete
Dragon

i heard that.

... and i thought i was finally through. apparently i missed a patch.

... now i'm through. yay! build success.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Akkadius
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0ncrete View Post
i heard that.

... and i thought i was finally through. apparently i missed a patch.

... now i'm through. yay! build success.
It really is simple, great job to KLS for spending the time for such a great management tool.

I know I spent a bunch of time prepping VS2010 and VS2008 solution files, but there was definitely a need for something that is more universally applicable and offers much more intuitive options to how we build EQEmu
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 PM
Figback65
Discordant

Rebuilt server with new build and cmake yesterday. The instructions are confusing unless you know exactly how these programs work. Definately figured it out though, and works wonderful!

EDIT: Let me rephrase. The Wiki guide for Cmake works like a charm. Having to know what todo AFTER cmake makes the solution, building with visual and the folder names changed from build to release and other small changes, definately make it confusing. But not impossible

Thank you for all the hard work guys!

Fig

Veeshans Classic Raid+++

Last edited by Figback65; 01-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: Comments
Old 01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
KLS
Administrator

Yeah I've noticed some people have trouble finding the solution/executable files. We'll add that to the wiki.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

Thanks a ton for the CMake addition!

Getting it built with the gui was easy as pie!

I was wondering if anyone could help me build the windows command line version of it for a batch file i'm writing.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:26 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

You want to run CMake from the command line or you want to build the generated solution from the command line?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:26 PM
KLS
Administrator

You can build MS NMake files to be compiled from command line. Though it isn't as straight forward since you need the msvc shell variables setup for your command line (eg by calling your installs vcvarsall.bat). For that you would need to pass -G "NMake Makefiles" to CMake.

You can also run CMake from the command line without input by just not supplying -i thereby forgoing interactive mode and it will complete automatically or fail with an error.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM
nosfentora
Discordant

@lerxst2112

Essentially I'm looking for the command line version of what happens when you click 'Configure' and 'Generate' from the CMake GUI.

@KLS
I'll give that a try and see what I can figure out.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 12:40 AM
Drajor
Developer

Much love for cmake. Nice work KLS!
Old 02-07-2013, 10:01 AM
thepoetwarrior
Discordant

I usually have a new folder with date in the name for each compile I do so I can roll back to previous versions if needed, and seems that would be difficult to do with cmake, needing to re-config cmake each time. I realize most people would probably just use 1 folder for all the updates and compiles so that would be a non-issue. Before started to build, noticed it was in debug mode, so I had to put it back to release mode again.

my server folder is now double the amount of files and folders due to cmake so trying to sort through what was added and what is needed. I found the exe in the bin folder, now just trying to find the conf files to copy over. Not sure which folders are important or what to do with them.

Not trying to flame or start trouble. Actually do appreciate all the hard work and effort in helping us to make this easier.

Previous updates that now include the versions of perl with the source was a major plus, less work in manual config.