Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maze_EQ View Post
I like pie.
What kinda pie? I like cherry cheesecake
Old 03-23-2017, 02:40 PM
NostalgiaEQ
Banned

One thing that could be done is like diablo, scale difficulty based on how many players are in the game.

We all have to learn from the elephant in the room. Imagine the people at p99 made the server and just "saw how much interest" there was from the eqemu community. Do you think they would have 1.5 thousand people from people who were on eqemu when they released it? No way in heck. They would have mabye 200 players.

They created their community, not just pulled people from other servers. They massively advertized on youtube and other forums and communities getting their message in front of literally MILLIONS of old school gamers. Eqemu is the size it is in great part because of the new players p99 brought in. I would never have found eqemu if I didn't see p99's youtube videos that brought me to their server and eventually here.

You have to create demand from your server not just see what currently exists. You have to take a leap of faith to make it big.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:53 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUMPY View Post
By the way, that note you need to unlock the custom solo server ? Quarm has it. Your choice. Have a nice day
May the force be with you .......
Old 03-23-2017, 03:12 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Another tit flop server :( wish I had the time to make a server it would have hookers and beer and maybe kromzek giants take over crushbone making the orcs love slaves or something.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:20 PM
Maze_EQ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NostalgiaEQ View Post
One thing that could be done is like diablo, scale difficulty based on how many players are in the game.

We all have to learn from the elephant in the room. Imagine the people at p99 made the server and just "saw how much interest" there was from the eqemu community. Do you think they would have 1.5 thousand people from people who were on eqemu when they released it? No way in heck. They would have mabye 200 players.

They created their community, not just pulled people from other servers. They massively advertized on youtube and other forums and communities getting their message in front of literally MILLIONS of old school gamers. Eqemu is the size it is in great part because of the new players p99 brought in. I would never have found eqemu if I didn't see p99's youtube videos that brought me to their server and eventually here.

You have to create demand from your server not just see what currently exists. You have to take a leap of faith to make it big.
Uhh, actually prior to P99 (which most of it's players stay on p99) the population was quite the same.

EZ has stayed the same, THF etc.

P99 really didn't do much for the EMU community.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:53 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
Well that's savage and will never happen. Back to solitaire I go!
Something I find very courageous in some players. When Secrets launched this server, the direction, journey and
destination was all layed out before anyone got started on it. But yet, since then, over 50 random players still
logged on knowing all of that. But many people either misunderstood Secrets intentions with content .........OR
they ignored it. The traffic lights, the street signs, they were all in place. But people made an attempt to drive
down that road anyways, until they come to a bad old bridge with a big sign that makes them say "WTF"
There was a map in the glove box all that time, but they relied on their own GPS which took them down
the wrong road leaving them disappointed. But if you pull that map out and take a look, there is little
ol' place called Casual Dreams. Looks like an awesome place for a solo player. I read the description and
it looks like some good work was put into it. http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?...o&worldid=2575
Old 03-23-2017, 04:33 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Something I find very courageous in some players. When Secrets launched this server, the direction, journey and
destination was all layed out before anyone got started on it. But yet, since then, over 50 random players still
logged on knowing all of that. But many people either misunderstood Secrets intentions with content .........OR
they ignored it. The traffic lights, the street signs, they were all in place. But people made an attempt to drive
down that road anyways, until they come to a bad old bridge with a big sign that makes them say "WTF"
There was a map in the glove box all that time, but they relied on their own GPS which took them down
the wrong road leaving them disappointed. But if you pull that map out and take a look, there is little
ol' place called Casual Dreams. Looks like an awesome place for a solo player. I read the description and
it looks like some good work was put into it. http://www.eqemulator.org/index.php?...o&worldid=2575
This is because Secrets likes to add in new/alternative ideas, that others afraid to mess with, and that brings people in. But no matter what the server set up is - people will always TRY TO SOLO!
If you open up P99 forums, which do their best to emulate this VERY hardcore group oriented game, the first thing new comer posts is "Cool, I love classic EQ! Which char do I make to solo the best?"
Old 03-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Uleat
Developer

I never really understood the MMO=Solo connection..

Compilin' Dirty
Old 03-23-2017, 04:52 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
I beat casual dreams...it was fun but got old when there was nothing left to do and poru isn't going to take it past POP I guess. As for what secrets had going on I understood completely what his intentions was I played on the server a few days never found anyone to group with was boring with a merc who is also a unic. might look back into it later if the population goes up but as for now every time I look at server list it's 0 or 1 but these kind of servers do not get vary far and I think secrets seen that amd let it go again.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:42 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
I beat casual dreams...it was fun but got old when there was nothing left to do
That is one of the downsides for any server that is setup for solo players to "zip" through the content. That really
has an effect in keeping a steady population. You see a bigger surge of concurrent players on launch, then
after 2-4 weeks, the storm calms down and the population melts down to a low average. As far as keeping up with
new content, it can't be done as fast as those "zippers" go through it. So for any new server, it's a catch-22.
A grind server, like this one that Secrets started, if there is no interest and the whole casual player base wants
those "zipper" servers, I am seriously inclined to think there will never be a new "solo" server that maintains a high
player base for very long. But even for non-solo classic servers, unless you come up something better than whats
already out there, there isn't much point. Can't keep that old school grind and offer something different.
It really boils down to one decision by a server dev. Go with the players and be miserable or do what makes
you happy and forget the player count.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I never really understood the MMO=Solo connection..
Haha, I read that same book. Unfortunately, I didn't have a translator either.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
people will always TRY TO SOLO!
That reminds me of a server I played on awhile back. The owners intentions were good, as he took some
initiative to cater some content to the players. But it became one of those "give an inch, they take a mile"
situations. He bent over backwards, flying far away from his own intentions to give what they wanted.
Where is that server now ? It's still on the list, with a population of 0-10 average.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

Quote:
That is one of the downsides for any server that is setup for solo players to "zip" through the content. That really
has an effect in keeping a steady population. You see a bigger surge of concurrent players on launch, then
after 2-4 weeks, the storm calms down and the population melts down to a low average. As far as keeping up with
new content, it can't be done as fast as those "zippers" go through it. So for any new server, it's a catch-22.
A grind server, like this one that Secrets started, if there is no interest and the whole casual player base wants
those "zipper" servers, I am seriously inclined to think there will never be a new "solo" server that maintains a high
player base for very long. But even for non-solo classic servers, unless you come up something better than whats
already out there, there isn't much point. Can't keep that old school grind and offer something different.
It really boils down to one decision by a server dev. Go with the players and be miserable or do what makes
you happy and forget the player count.

Casual Dreams actually took me a long time I'd say at least a year to max out aa's ect this was no zipper server you actually had to work poru did a grewt job working it into something it was full soloable with 1 or 2 toons and only duo box was aloud so it is possible to make a server were you don't blow trough it but have that nostalgia feel like I said it stopped at pop now if that changes I'll go back just gotta shape it right so people don't blow trough content in 2 weeks
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

Quote:
so people don't blow trough content in 2 weeks
My issue is not so much about the whole "solo" play preference, I don't find anything wrong with the individual
desire to do so, but there is many solo players out there with only one goal, which is to do the high end and
never think about building their character up. They want server automation to do that for them via scripts.
(autoscribe, skillups, etc) I mentioned in a previous post about the toon on this server, 17 lvls in two days.
And this is a grinding server, haha
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM
GRUMPY
Discordant

I'm going to try something for the weekend, just to see where it might go. With very little compromise, make a few
adjustments. Before morning, I will open up the boxing to no limit and give the mercs an attitude, along with a
sow/temp only npc in PoK. But as far as that high end, I'm not willing to alter that for soloing. Unlimited boxing
will give you an edge.
Closed Thread