Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:41 PM
Michelle-Bishop
Fire Beetle

Default Server Files for P99 available?

Hi all,

So, I will be without internet, or reliable internet for the next few years, and of course still want to play EQ solo/with my roomies.

I also used to play on P99, and loved it. I was wondering, is there any way to get the server files from there, so that I could create my own local private server on my machine, with P99 files and what not?

If not, are there any other servers like Project 99 that are available? Or something close-ish to classic?

I do appreciate any replies/suggestions that one could have, as I am new to setting up a server, especially one for EQ.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:37 PM
Huppy
Demi-God

Interesting new angle, I find it amusing, and admire the persistence, but the answer is still the same.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:10 AM
Michelle-Bishop
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huppy View Post
Interesting new angle, I find it amusing, and admire the persistence, but the answer is still the same.
Pardon? Umm... what exactly do you mean by that?

Did you mean to post that on my thread? Or are you assuming I am someone else seems I am new, i.e., I am someone you think I am who made some new account or something. I'm sure anyone here who may be an admin can verify whether I am or not.

Regardless, I am still about to start setting up a server to be played offline, and am still wondering the same question. As I have no idea what this other person is talking about, I'm not sure what this "same answer" may be.

Thank you...
Old 04-28-2019, 10:08 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle-Bishop View Post
Hi all,

So, I will be without internet, or reliable internet for the next few years, and of course still want to play EQ solo/with my roomies.

I also used to play on P99, and loved it. I was wondering, is there any way to get the server files from there, so that I could create my own local private server on my machine, with P99 files and what not?

If not, are there any other servers like Project 99 that are available? Or something close-ish to classic?

I do appreciate any replies/suggestions that one could have, as I am new to setting up a server, especially one for EQ.
Ok, what the hek, it's Sunday. I'm bored, so I will humour you with an answer that may very well serve as repetitive clarification on these forums, which is unfortunately needed, everytime this topic is brought up. But I don't live in Disneyland, I live in that Jurassic Park, we call reality, so I am apt to tell someone what they need to hear, not what they want to hear.

P99 is a private project, not "open source", and they will never share the years of work they put into it. That's not going to happen. This may be the case with many other private servers you see on that list as well. I won't go as far as saying it's impossible to find someone who will share their work, but nobody is obligated. The source code you see on github is the "open source" and freely available for anyone to download and use, or even offer their own contributions to it, if they have the skills. Everything else that is done in this project is a gift from the teams of devs that continue to work on it, out of the kindness of their own hearts. (the database, quests, etc.) They don't have to. They can quit anytime they feel like it, leaving all of us high and dry.

For anyone "new" who wishes to have their own server, those resources are available for download, in which you can do any editing you want to make your server just how you like it. You can use Akka's installer, or if you have the knowledge, you can download all the resources seperately and put it all together yourself. Depending on how you want your server, (classic,custom,etc.), it can take days, weeks, months, or even years of editing to get it the way you want it. "Open source" does not mean someone is going to do the work for you.

Although, once in awhile, someone puts their old database up for grabs, the odds of finding what you're looking for are very slim. A true classic server won't involve just a database. It would have to have source code editing done for the binaries, as well as tons of quests being edited, to have the whole thing put together as a package, is not likely. There is still going to be tons of work to do, regardless. And if you don't have the skills to edit and mod, you can take the time to learn, but to gain most of that knowledge, an internet connection would be feasible for longer than just a short time.

You say you're "new to setting up an EQ server". So even if you did aquire someone's "server files", you would still have a lot of work to do setting it up, in which case, again, you would need a continuous internet connection to "read", how to do it. Some people in the past have spent a few years, advocating for P99 to share their work, but in all reality, (welcome to Jurassic Park), all that time wasted, they could of had all the work done to have that kind of server. People can do anything, if they put their mind to it.
Old 04-28-2019, 02:13 PM
Michelle-Bishop
Fire Beetle

Yea, I did read not long after posting that P99's stuff hasn't been released nor will it as of now. I do understand why so scratch that then.

I am curious then, so when it says my server is up, just by following the Windows Server section, what does my server even look like? To what version/expansion is it even on?

I can see now, that I am very much in over my head, and I should probably just abandon the idea of being able to play EQ1 offline/lan.

Unless, someone has released their servers' files/code or whatever, that I could use for mine, but even then I'm assuming it's a headache to get running.

this makes me sad. ah well...
Old 04-28-2019, 10:45 PM
Sturm
Hill Giant

It's really not all that bad or hard to set-up your own server for offline play, but you're going to need the internet for at least a bit to get it up and running properly.

Download Akka's installer. Run that badboy and start from there. The current iteration is upto the OoW expansion thanks to the PEQ team among other's I assume. So it's not going to be strictly classic era. With enough effort you can get it close to that, but it's likely never going to be the level of detail P99 has created due to their years and years of working on it.

Don't let anyone discourage you, if you're willing to put in the time and effort you could wind up with something truly wonderful of your own making. There's more than enough resources and documentation to learn everything you'd require to know with just a bit of searching.

Good luck!
Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Michelle-Bishop
Fire Beetle

Thanks Sturm for the advice.

Hmm, well, I'd be happy with any offline EQ play time than none. I do love Classic/Kunark era the most, but I'd be happy with a more up to date version I suppose, if I could play it offline and not tweak it much for now.

So, the current server/files are OoW? I am fine with that if that's the case.
Either way, is there any basic or decent server files/server config I could simply apply to my own server to get it up and running for LAN/single player play?

If anything, I could have some form of EQ1 to play, and wait on the possibility of P99 to release it's server/source code in the coming years-decade(s). I'd just like to be able to play it, and maybe have my roomie hop on and her and I could play from time to time.
Old 04-29-2019, 09:53 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

The wiki walks you through how to set everything up.

https://github.com/EQEmu/Server/wiki/Windows-Server