Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Linux Servers

Support::Linux Servers Support forum for Linux EQEMu users.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 PM
Lordchamp1955
Fire Beetle

Default Local Loginserver (now Installed) I Think

I've searched and searchd but am finding nothing except cryptic bits and pieces about installing a local loginserver on linux.

I'm only interested in setting this up for lan use as I did many years ago with an older version. Just finally decided to update to the newest version. Old one is still running flawlessly though.

Someone please give me the directions for getting the local loginserver functional on linux.

I'm not a total linux newb, I run gentoo as my desktop system so building and compiling is nothing new to me within reason. I'm no developer but I can follow instructions and troubleshoot as needed.

This is all I lack having this done. Someone please help.

Thanks in advance!!

PS:
I joined the forum back in 12 or 13 but had to create a new account because I no longer had access to the email that account was attached to so I been around EQEMU for a long time and appreciate what you folks do.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Lordchamp1955
Fire Beetle

Ok, 42 views and not a single comment tells me that most everyone else is as lost on this issue as me. Should be a clue to the admins that more info is needed on this subject.

Here is where I stand now.

After 20+ years as a network admin I have no hesitation in experimenting to troubleshoot a problem, especially when I can do no harm.

I'm running this all on a debian VM so what can I hurt, huh? LOL

Anyways, I found a section in the install.sh about the loginserver that was commented out so I uncommented it and reran the install.sh.

It appeared to install the loginserver. Could it be that simple? If so, why wouldn't others know about it I thought. Interesting.

Well, there was now a script to start with login so naturally I ran it after editing the login.ini and .json settings file to hopefully match my setup.

Everything seemed to startup fine and I got the message loginserver set to run along with confirmation that the other servers started. Status shows the other servers running but says nothing about the loginserver. Is that normal? Or is it really not running?

That leads to my current situation. No connection by the client. I'm using the RoF/Rof2 client. There appears to be no connection being made to the loginserver at all.

There are zero logs for the loginserver but many for the other servers. Again, is this normal since no connection has actually been made?

dbg,txt shows no connection to the server has even been attempted and even though it's been a while I thought that file showed that information. Could be wrong there though.

eqhost.txt has been set to the proper ip address and port.

I've tried 127.0.0.1 and the actual address of the server in every location that calls for those addresses. Neither one makes any change.

I can ping in and out of the server so networking is working properly. No firewall is installed on the VM.

So to summarize:

1. No connection of any kind appears to be being made to the loginserver.
2. No logs of any kind are being created by the loginserver. Normal? Turned on manually somehow?
3. No errors are being shown at startup/shutdown from any part of the system. All appears OK.
4. Both config files have been checked and rechecked repeatedly and I can see no errors.
5. I do see evidence of the server actually running in the system processes. When shutdown it goes away. Restart, it returns. Appears to be running.
6. Is it normal for status to not show any status for the loginserver?

Anyone having any additional troubleshooting suggestions are more than welcome to share them. I'm about at the end of my current abilities to troubleshoot this system.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:05 PM
CodyF86
Fire Beetle

Edit the cmakecache.txt file in the source and change EQEMU_BUILD_LOGIN:BOOL=OFF to ON, then make clean and make.

If you haven't done that yet.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:03 PM
Tilerno
Fire Beetle

Default I saw some issues like that

I ran into a few issues myself, using the script earlier this month. I think I also had an issue where I couldn't connect, but I found out that some of my issues were stuff I either changed to something that didn't technically make sense, or that I didn't yet understand how this server interacts with the clients.

I'm running Ubuntu Server 16.04.5 LTS on KVM QEMU. My server is on a separate private subnet/network from my clients. I'm using pfsense for my firewall/routing. I just wanted to setup a server so that my local clients aka, my kids and I could have our own server to do whatever we wanted.

What does your eqemu_config.json look like? In the info below, my local IP is the one referring to "x.x.x.x".

Code:
{
   "server" : {
      "chatserver" : {
         "host" : "",
         "port" : "7778"
      },
      "database" : {
         "db" : "eqemu",
         "host" : "localhost",
         "password" : "xxxxxxxx",
         "port" : "3306",
         "username" : "eqemu"
      },
      "mailserver" : {
         "host" : "",
         "port" : "7778"
      },
      "qsdatabase" : {
         "db" : "eqemu",
         "host" : "localhost",
         "password" : "xxxxxxxxx",
         "port" : "3306",
         "username" : "eqemu"
      },
      "webinterface" : {
         "port" : "9081"
      },
      "world" : {
         "http" : {
            "enabled" : "true",
            "mimefile" : "mime.types",
            "port" : "9080"
         },
         "key" : "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx",
         "loginserver1" : {
            "account" : "",
            "host" : "login.eqemulator.net",
            "legacy" : "1",
            "password" : "",
            "port" : "5998"
         },
         "loginserver2" : {
            "account" : "",
            "host" : "x.x.x.x",
            "password" : "",
            "port" : "5998"
         },
         "longname" : "Akkas Linux PEQ Installer (xxxxxxx)",
         "shortname" : "Akkas PEQ Installer",
         "tcp" : {
            "ip" : "127.0.0.1",
            "port" : "9001"
         },
         "telnet" : {
            "enabled" : "true",
            "ip" : "0.0.0.0",
         }
      },
      "zones" : {
         "defaultstatus" : "0",
         "ports" : {
            "high" : "7400",
            "low" : "7000"
         }
      }
   }
What does your login.ini look like?

Code:
[database]
host = localhost
port = 3306
db = eqemu
user = eqemu
password = xxxxxxxxxxx
subsystem = MySQL

[options]
unregistered_allowed = TRUE
reject_duplicate_servers = FALSE
trace = TRUE
world_trace = FALSE
dump_packets_in = FALSE
dump_packets_out = FALSE
listen_port = 5998
local_network = x.x.x.
auto_create_accounts = TRUE

[security]
plugin = EQEmuAuthCrypto
mode = 5

[Titanium]
port = 5998
opcodes = login_opcodes.conf

[SoD]
port = 5999
opcodes = login_opcodes_sod.conf

[schema]
account_table = loginserver_server_accounts
world_registration_table = loginserver_world_server_registration
world_admin_registration_table = loginserver_server_admin_registration
world_server_type_table = loginserver_server_list_type
What does your eqhost.txt look like? I use port 5999 due to using ROF2 client.

Code:
 [LoginServer]
 #Host=login.eqemulator.net:5999
 Host=x.x.x.x:5999
Also, after doing a lot of extensive troubleshooting on my own issues, I see there's a lot of residual older information that doesn't seem to be 100% relevant to the newer setups. I have a feeling that some people are probably not very familiar with the newer one yet.

Aside from this, I tried to do only a local login, but I had issues where it was trying to pass a blank IP with port when I entered the world. I was able to create characters, but it wouldn't pass my local IP to do the zone stuff, and disconnected me.

Maybe this won't happen to you, maybe it's specific to how I have my network setup, but if you end up seeing that, I had to setup a NAT redirect on my internal traffic to that server, through my public interface's address, so it would actually pass an IP to do the zoning. Everything else seemed to work fine. The error showed up in my dbg.txt.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:03 AM
baroughter
Fire Beetle

Hey, I'm also struggling getting this working. The loginserver is running, and I am able to connect to it fine thru the client. I also can see the world server listed there. However when I go to log into the world server, the client just kinda freezes up (buttons go gray), and eventually it says something about not being able to log in. So, since there are no error messages anywhere on the server end, I can only assume that it is receiving absolutely no connection for some reason, beyond the loginserver connection.

And yes, I am able to log into Project 1999 etc just fine from this client. Hmm.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:05 AM
baroughter
Fire Beetle

One clue is that in login.ini, there is an entry for "local network", and iti s definitely not correct (docker creates its own virtual network). What is the significance of "local network" here?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:18 PM
baroughter
Fire Beetle

My problem was that the public address that the client uses to connect to the server must be stated in eqemu_config.json in the "world" section as "address".