Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Seepuh
Fire Beetle

Default What's the optimal server OS: Ubuntu 16.04 or WinServer2012 R2 (Standard)

Apologies in advance if this has been asked before; I spent thirty minutes searching over the past few days and have not found an answer.

Simply which will be easier for setup of Akka and community's incrediable setup/deployment and later, limited custom work? I purchased a dedicated Xeon server tower to run my server but was surprised to find that Win7 wasn't a supported OS I also have the option of Ubuntu 14.04 but assumed the later version was preferable due to some enhancements I reviewed between the two.

While it may be costlier to get a WinSvr2012 license, perhaps there are enough challenges ahead of me to at least be familiar with moving around the Windows platform. I have been a heavy windows user since I got my first computer. That's the only reason I was thinking of buying a Server2012 license instead of going with the the Linux OS. Obviously an EOL is coming up in 2023 for Server2012 but at that point either a Linux migration or an OS upgrade will not be as daunting since the server will be up & running.

In terms of performance for 1-4 players, possible change to offline only, and security is there a clear winner between the two? I don't plan on doing a lot of customization but some of the things on EZ server like instancing, universal teleporter, buff bots and a few custom zones are on the agenda.

There's likely plenty of bias to be given, but if there are inherit limitations of one, ease of use or performance gains, etc. perhaps a heads up and two cents from a few of the veterans around here?

Tags
which operating system