Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:02 AM
trustandfall
Sarnak

Default I'm attempting to follow the install guides but..

Every guide I'm reading says to install Perl, then enter 2 commands in a command prompt.

I've installed Perl by typing yes where required, and C:\Perl for the installation folder, but even after rebooting, typing the 2 lines in a command prompt simply gives me back 'ppm is not recognized as an internal or external command'

I've ran a private wow server long ago, so I feel like I'm not making a horribly simple mistake, but maybe I am?
Old 10-15-2012, 03:14 AM
trustandfall
Sarnak

I just tried doing the same exact steps on my laptop and I get the same exact error... I must be making some really, really dumb mistake. But I can certainly assure that I have read and followed every step to the T in the guides. :/
Old 10-15-2012, 03:26 AM
trustandfall
Sarnak

Figured out the problem.. Someone had posted a link to what they claimed was the right version of Perl to use.

It installed and looked the exact same as the latest Perl, but wasn't allowing me to enter the commands after reboot.

Just downloaded the most recent Perl and all is fine.. Hopefully this much newer version of Perl will be alright to use.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Usually when that happens the install didnt actually add perl to the windows path or you used the older version that was not packaged as a msi installer.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:56 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustandfall View Post
Figured out the problem.. Someone had posted a link to what they claimed was the right version of Perl to use.

It installed and looked the exact same as the latest Perl, but wasn't allowing me to enter the commands after reboot.

Just downloaded the most recent Perl and all is fine.. Hopefully this much newer version of Perl will be alright to use.
5.10/5.12 for 32-bit, 5.14 for 64-bit.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM
sorvani
Dragon

Do not provide incorrect information. it is 5.12 for 32-bit, nothing else...
Everything you need is now included in the SVN.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:44 PM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32980

Which being a stickied post is likely referred to 100 fold than this post thus chrss's reply, wherein itself refers 5.10.

Hopefully someone with editing permissions can straighten that post out a bit, as people rarely sift through all the posts in that thread, I'm sure, where a reply may contain that "5.10 is no longer valid."
Old 10-15-2012, 09:26 PM
sorvani
Dragon

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35722
Maybe the other thread could be unstickied, but you could bother to read all the stickies on server compiling.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Quote:
Well part true, 5.12 is packaged with the svn and is setup to compile as is but if you really wanted to you could use 5.10 just not recommended and I doubt people would bother providing support to anyone that chose to use 5.10

I agree with your next post Sorvani that the old compile guides could be unsticked at this point in time.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 AM
trustandfall
Sarnak

It would be absolutely amazing if someone could write a very detailed up to date guide.

I'm sure this comparison is annoying to hear, but because of the sheer amount of guides and assistance, creating a wow server in comparison is by far, much, much easier.

The out of date stickied posts make it very confusing.. And who knows how many more great servers might spring up if it was a little easier!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM
ghanja
Dragon

Quote:
It would be absolutely amazing if someone could write a very detailed up to date guide.

I'm sure this comparison is annoying to hear, but because of the sheer amount of guides and assistance, creating a wow server in comparison is by far, much, much easier.

The out of date stickied posts make it very confusing.. And who knows how many more great servers might spring up if it was a little easier!
It's not annoying to hear. I'm in the process of doing just that and it will be done today. If someone beats me to the punch cool, if not, it will be posted today. Whether or not it's sticked is another subject.

@sorvani, yes, but lets admit, having more than one stickied all of which vary in their own ways is a little perverse and inconvenient. Though, hopefully what I have half put together will help resolve that and provide a constructive criticism, more importantly an accurate solution.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Someone could, and just like all of the other guides it would quickly be out of date.

If someone put it on the wiki instead then it could be edited as things change.

Even so, the older guides outline the steps needed to set up a server just fine. The filenames may be out of date, and they may recommend an earlier version of Perl, but the concept is still the same.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 PM
trustandfall
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst2112 View Post
Someone could, and just like all of the other guides it would quickly be out of date.

If someone put it on the wiki instead then it could be edited as things change.

Even so, the older guides outline the steps needed to set up a server just fine. The filenames may be out of date, and they may recommend an earlier version of Perl, but the concept is still the same.
The concept may be the same but when the guides are linking and telling you that you MUST use a certain version of software that, even combing through google searches was near impossible for me to find, it's going to be hard for anyone new to do this.

I'm definitely looking forward to your guide Ghanja.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Sometimes you need to follow the spirit of the guide and not the exact letter. There's plenty of info for someone trying to get things going if they aren't afraid to do a little reading in the guide thread and then ask informed questions if they need to.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:05 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Thank you for your fantasticly informative, yet sarcastic post.

Had I not been using Perl 5.10 since the day it came out on my server with zero problems I wouldn't have said it fucking works.