Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::Server Discussion

Archive::Server Discussion Archive area for Server Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 08-15-2004, 01:51 PM
{LMC} Roberta
Fire Beetle

Default Proliant 6000 quad xeon 400 server

I recently was given 1 of these servers and was wondering what the requirements are for the emulator to run...and all I can find are threads relating to single or dual processor systems...I am planning on the 4 xeon processors with 4-6 gig of ram...need to find more (thank god for E-bay) and either 2000 advance server or 2003 SBE....need input here....as for other things...what more am I going to need to attempt to make this work?

BTW doom 3 runs fantastic along with 1942 and quake and seti all at the same time...
Old 08-15-2004, 01:59 PM
CHowell2005
Hill Giant

Default ....

sweet mother of chocolate christ
Old 08-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

Default Re: Proliant 6000 quad xeon 400 server

Quote:
Originally Posted by {LMC} Roberta
I recently was given 1 of these servers and was wondering what the requirements are for the emulator to run...and all I can find are threads relating to single or dual processor systems...I am planning on the 4 xeon processors with 4-6 gig of ram...need to find more (thank god for E-bay) and either 2000 advance server or 2003 SBE....need input here....as for other things...what more am I going to need to attempt to make this work?

BTW doom 3 runs fantastic along with 1942 and quake and seti all at the same time...
You must have a fantastic graphics card to go with it!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:21 PM
Rogean
Administrator

uhh.. wow.. you should have no problem running a server on that.. lol...

someone just 'gave' it to you.. ?
Old 08-15-2004, 09:34 PM
{LMC} Roberta
Fire Beetle

yes, it was given to me along with enough spare parts to keep this unit running....and I think I was not understood correctally....it runns all 4 applications with no problems but these are server apps....doom3 server, quake server, BF1942 server, so it dosn't take much for graphics card...all you need is a PCI card that is DX 9 compatible. And you are set. The guy that I got this machine from is setting up a server "farm" and is playing with SQL....and thought this would be perfect time to try out the EQEMU. But I do not know anything about sql and setting up the server....so any help that I can get as far as required hardware would be great...
Old 08-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Widdles
Fire Beetle

There are a ton of guides in the FAQ forum on setting up the basic server & then modifying it to your liking. A lot of reading, but worth it if your serious about doing a server.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Maldian
Sarnak

Default Lucky!

I agree with the rest of the people who have responded to your post.... OMFG you are lucky. That is one hell of a great donation. Consider yourself extremely lucky. If you want some help... feel free to email me or PM me. I would be more than happy to offer some help.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 AM
Melwin
Fire Beetle

That makes more sense.

And here I thought our box was overkill.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:31 AM
CHowell2005
Hill Giant

your avatar is overkill....
Old 08-16-2004, 10:50 AM
RangerDown
Demi-God

No more piggy :cry:
<idleRPG> Rogean ate a plate of discounted, day-old sushi. This terrible calamity has slowed them 0 days, 15:13:51 from level 48.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:41 PM
{LMC} Roberta
Fire Beetle

ordered Mushkin ram today...hope to have OS installed and machine all up and running by wednesday...then spend the weekend working on EQEMU.....thanks for all the responce....I am sure I will need help...will post as the build progresses.... here is a link to our stores loose forums...and some pictures we took as we took the sides off and get it ready to post http://eccomputerwizards.com/lan/for...opic.php?t=576
Old 08-16-2004, 02:42 PM
bbum
Banned

make a kick ass eqemu server. if you got the bandwidth to go with i mean.

*shakes fist*
Old 08-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Rogean
Administrator

ya, what kind of connection you gonna be runnin it on?
Old 08-17-2004, 04:02 AM
{LMC} Roberta
Fire Beetle

There has been talk about a Server farm...and that would be going into our back room...and that has T1...would be moving it back there if we get everything running right....waiting on memory right now
Old 08-17-2004, 04:08 AM
sotonin
Demi-God

Hope you don't have too many servers hooked up there. a T1 is good for only a few if any of them have high traffic. but pretty limited for anything large scale. You should colocate at a datacenter and have mass bandwidth if you plan on supporting a lot of players