Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Bug Reports

Development::Bug Reports Post detailed bug reports and what you would like to see next in the emu here.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:20 AM
patyrn2k1
Fire Beetle

I just tried a6equj5's fix, and it seemed to work, no more crashes, where before I would be very lucky not to get a crash, could be on to something here ....
Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 PM
zuperzip
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by patyrn2k1 View Post
I just tried a6equj5's fix, and it seemed to work, no more crashes, where before I would be very lucky not to get a crash, could be on to something here ....
It's worth a try but don't get your hopes up. I found it did not work for me. At times the login server is slow to send the 2nd survey packet and so creates the illusion that something you've done has solved the problem. If you find that this does not work for you be sure to make "Show=1" again.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 AM
a6equj5
Fire Beetle

Ok, so I started getting the eqgame.exe crash again. I tried changing it back to Show=1 and it didn't work, so I changed it back, still no dice. So after 10-15 more login attempts, I decide to try something wacky.

Once I logged in and the server select window crashed and showed the "eqgame.exe has encountered a problem..." window, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and killed the EverQuest task under the Applications tab. This left the eqgame.exe error window still open. Without clicking on close, I started EQ again and I was able to log in with no problem.

Maybe a fluke, but worth a try? After 15 unsuccessful attempts, doing this allowed me to log in.
Old 07-29-2007, 07:14 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

Dont know if this has been tried or not but its just another thing those that are having problems can try out , this is from the official SOE Tech forums

Quote:

Will need to make a point, after following this suggestion, DO NOT attempt to use/go to Full Screen mode until you are completely into game, but even then you may still crash. If so, you will need to play in windowed mode til Devs figure out what they are doing. SMILEY

1. Drill down into Everquest folder, locate and run OptionsEditor.

2. Drill down into Everquest folder, locate and open up to edit eqclient.ini (not eqsclient.ini).

3. In [Default] section, use Find to locate WindowedMode then make sure it is set as WindowedMode=TRUE.

4. And if the line does not exist, insert WindowedMode=TRUE immediately under the [Default] section. This will force all of EQ windows to open up in Windowed mode. (do NOT attempt to alt enter to use Full screen mode, unless you like errors).

5. The scroll down to Video Mode, and replace it with the following lines, making sure to change them to MATCH your current desktop settings (start/settings/control panel/display properties/settings tab). Do not get funny with the settings.

[VideoMode]
WindowedWidth=1680
WindowedHeight=1050
Width=1680
Height=1050
FullscreenBitsPerPixel=32
FullscreenRefreshRate=60

Save and close. Make sure that your windows Display Properties is set to the same. All of EQ windows will open up in windowed mode. This should allow you to get into game. From within the game, you can attempt to go to Full Screen mode.

Report back success or failure.

Report back your video card (brand/model), monitor, whether it is an LCD or CRT, and the type of connection being used, ie analog (old/regular connection) or DVI-D (wierd/new connection type).

For some this may not work, as they have other issues. But for the record I am on 67 people (I have used a bottle of Tylenol so far) who were not able to get into game and play until they followed the above instructions.

Aye, of those only 5 were able to go into Full screen mode while the others would have EQ crash/error. At the moment they are regulated to windowed mode.

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 07-29-2007, 10:48 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Will need to make a point, after following this suggestion, DO NOT attempt to use/go to Full Screen mode until you are completely into game, but even then you may still crash. If so, you will need to play in windowed mode til Devs figure out what they are doing.
Kookey, I've only said this about 100 times. Maybe now people will listen and try it.

Thx Sak
Old 07-29-2007, 03:56 PM
zuperzip
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by a6equj5 View Post
Ok, so I started getting the eqgame.exe crash again. I tried changing it back to Show=1 and it didn't work, so I changed it back, still no dice. So after 10-15 more login attempts, I decide to try something wacky...
I tried this a couple times and my accounts that do get the SSSE still got the SSSE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakrateri View Post
Dont know if this has been tried or not but its just another thing those that are having problems can try out , this is from the official SOE Tech forums
This appears to be a work around for hardware or driver incompatibility but I tried it anyway and still received the SSSE.

----------------

It's apparent that modifying the login server code is currently not an option. That leaves the EQEmu community a very few solutions. The most effective solution is answer the Survey sent from the login server by selecting "Yes" then clicking "Submit". After doing this almost all players find the SSSE never effects that account again because the login server stops sending the Survey to that account. The second less explored solution is using a firewall/router which blocks the client crashing second Survey packet. I'm fairly sure this is possible but I don't have a wide variety of routers laying around to test.

So here is what can be done to make the SSSE go away and if you can do one of these things please let us know. If you can't do one of these things it is very likely your solution is not a solution for the SSSE.

1. Change the login server so the Survey is automatically set to "yes response" for all accounts new and old. (currently not an option)

2. Find a router or firewall setting that blocks the second Survery packets which cause the SSSE.

3. Make the Survey display whenever a player wants so they can respond "Yes" and click "Submit". Even though the Survey is always sent to SSSE prone accounts during login the Survery displays very rarely and I don't know why.

If you feel you can find a solution to the SSSE get a packet analyzer such as Ethereal so you can see packets coming to you during login. You will need to verify the account you're using does in fact get the Survey packet every login. Use that account for your testing. Also remember, the error causing second Survey packet may not always arrive immediately. It may come later while sitting at the server select screen.

Last edited by zuperzip; 07-29-2007 at 11:59 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I am extremely hesitant to do this, so if a site admin thinks a mod shouldn't be referring members - delete this post asap.

I just feel so bad for those who cannot get passed this bug. Check out my profile, follow the link to my home site. Maybe it'll help. Just do NOT bring the discussion back here. Don't make me regret it. :/

Last edited by John Adams; 07-30-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Old 07-30-2007, 03:03 PM
leslamarch
Discordant

YEAH HOO for John I have been wanting to type those same words for so long.
I didn;t have the B@lls :(
Old 07-30-2007, 03:13 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

It is yet to be seen if I still have balls after an admin reads it.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:39 PM
renoturks
Fire Beetle

I don't see why they can't just take the friggin packet off the login server. It really sucks to not be able to play when you want to.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:55 PM
renoturks
Fire Beetle

Thanks alot!
Old 08-01-2007, 01:45 AM
Doodman
Developer

Default Login poll closed.

I closed the current login poll, so if this bug is related to the polling system then this should hopefully clear it up.

Let me know if it appears to help the problem. I'll leave the polls disabled at least until I find/fix the problem, if not longer.

Doodman
Old 08-01-2007, 05:04 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Thanks, Dood. So good to see your name again.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:26 PM
zuperzip
Fire Beetle

Thank you Doodman

I just checked an account that still gets the SSSE and.... it no longer gets the Survey and no longer errors out during login.

The neighbors have arrived to see what all the screams mixed with laughter are about. I gotta go...
Old 08-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Darkonig
Hill Giant

Thanks Doodman. All my accounts get in first try now.