Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-18-2004, 04:14 PM
seanix
Fire Beetle

Default When we will be able to play if we patched after the 9/14/04

Hi all ... i just wanted to know when we will be able to play after the 14 septemberand patched eq... or if there is anyway i can play whitout downloading those patch ,... cause atm i can creat a caractere but when i try to enter the world it's kicking me to server and i think it's because of the patch but i am ont sure ... that my problemem .. you guys think if ive patched today i still be able to make caractere but cant enter the wolrd or it's an other probleme?? and sorry for my english
Old 09-18-2004, 04:42 PM
daeken_bb
Discordant

You'll be able to play as soon as the patched version of 5.8 is released. This could be anywhere from a day to a few months (though that's not likely with this patch)

Check out my deviantART page at http://daeken.deviantart.com/
Old 09-18-2004, 11:32 PM
relorm500
Hill Giant

Yea the Patch didnt look very big, but they added.

NewZones
New Monsters
New visual effects
Weapons 2.0

Stuff like that....so it should be like few weeks to a month, but noone really know. We just have to have patience.
Ba Fo On
Old 09-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

Default hi

hey, i just came across EQEmu today.. and gotta say this thread does lighten my mood a little.. i just got done reading melwins post saying patching after the 14th wont work.. im schedueled to leave for bootcamp on october 12th.. so when i get back from that i hope to get my comp goin again and get cable net and play some eq.. or EQEmu if possible=)...
Old 09-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Magika
Fire Beetle

they also added the task system.. new mob AI, and a couple other things, im not sure if the AI will be a problem, but if it is a problem i suspect itll be a big one
Old 09-22-2004, 10:10 PM
loozor
Fire Beetle

Default talamr, please listen to me

dont leave for boot camp on october 12th. it will be the biggest mistake you ever made. i know you don't know me, and i don't know you either, but just listen to me. i'm a person who has gone through what you are about to go through. don't go. i wish i had someone tell me this before i joined the navy 7 months ago, but no one cared enough. do yourself and your innocent normal civilian life a favor and do not join. you will thank me later, although you will never know just what i exactly saved you from. years of poor living conditions, stress, anxiety, being away from loved ones, lack of personal storage space (that is if youre in the navy on a ship), lack of access to your favorite hobbies. the list goes on and on. just trust me about all of this.

take care, and make the wise decision and don't get on that bus to boot camp bro, cuz once you do there's no turning back (well there is, but it's a long hard one filled with legal processes and other bad stuff you dont want to go down). just because you are in the DEP program doesn't mean you are obligated to the military in any way, you can simply drop out of it at any time without any repercussions.

p.s. i'm in japan serving on the uss kitty hawk.
Old 09-23-2004, 03:54 AM
marius
Fire Beetle

SORRY If I derailed this topic and commented on the Navy stuff from Loozer This has nothing to do with EQEMU!

heh, funny you should mention all of this loozer. I was just out there on your ship doing a tech assist and I got a letter from your Admiral Kelly for doing a good job

Let me just say my comments on the Navy. I hated it.. I did 6 years.. BUT.. and I repeat BUT.. it was the best thing I ever did. If I did not go in I would not have gone anywhere with my life..nor learned any skills... and I would prob still be making 7 bucks an hour. Since I had no way to go to college since I was supporting myself on low income and total ignorance of the college programs out there... I went in the Navy.. I made the best of those years and after 6(which i HAD to do 6 for my job) I got out and got a great job doing almost what I did while in.. but with all my freedoms back.. and not to mention I make GREAT money.. about 6 times what I made in the Navy. Now here is the trick... NEVER enter the military if all your going to be is some gunners mate or a non technical job. That is pointless. If you have the brain and the interest.. then make sure you pick a very technical rate. Something like electronics technician. Or perhaps the Information technology folks.. they are not very technical but they learn computer stuff and can get some great schools that help with jobs when they get out. But make sure if you pick Information tech that it is not doing radio comms.. choose the computer path.. don't let the recruiter mess with you. You have a choice. If you don't do something that can score you a great job when you get out then what's the point? What do you think a very large % of those infantry guys(marines, army).. or Navy Seals do when they get out? Firefighters.. cops.. park rangers...mail men is what they become. If you are fine with that.. then go for it. But I wanted to
do electronics and make more then 40k a year when I got out. I am very glad I suffered 6 years in the navy... as I have a great life now that I would not have had with out them.

P.S. Loozer.. make the best of it.. rough it.. it pays off .. if you doom and gloom and bitch and moan about everything then it won't. If your something like a gunners mate then.. well you screwed there to sry.. lol

There are exceptions to everything.. some do well no matter what they do. I would not have been one of them... the job I chose and the Navy in general got me where I am today...which is happily married(met my wife at my job, which I got from being in the Navy). House and two cars in Southern California..(again from doing my time in the Navy as a Electronics Tech). I know what got me here, eventough I hated every minute of it. I would do it again if I had the same choices.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:31 PM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

Default heh

well, glad to know someone thinks its a good idea=) although im not going into the navy.. i am going into the marines.. legal/admin type of job.. accounting type of things. planning to get a good degree in accounting.. that way ill have a good start once i get out of the marines. but i agree with marius.. just gotta tough it out.. its gonna be the hardest thing ill most likely do.. but. i hope to get through it all.. alive.. and get on to getting some good money and getting some good education.. although i may dislike school more then almost anything... i am hoping to get a lot of schooling while in the marines.
also sorry that i am not talking about EQEmu, but this post was here and i figured id give a short response.
thank you loozer and marius for your imputs.
Old 09-24-2004, 03:35 PM
loozor
Fire Beetle

marius, haha thats so funny you were just here man. isnt this ship the shits? everything breaks down all the time. the ship is ugly. the command blows. they have white and blue liberty cards. it might sound like i'm miserable but i'm really not. im getting used to being here and it aint that bad. i'll do my time and be back home one day just like i was before. as for my job marius, i'm a ships serviceman but i plan to strike for something more technical (wanna be IT but i hear its closing up, whatever heh). in my opinion, i'm too smart for my job. ship servicemen cut hair, do laundry, fill vending machines, collect cash, and operate cash registers, not exactly rocket science. i'm only in for 4 so it isnt too bad (you did 6? ouch, got that 3rd class out of a-school eh?).

im happy for your new life and your wife, must be nice. hopefully i can get a wife over here, maybe some nice japanese girl who speaks good english. go back to the states and live happily ever after. ah well, that's not for a while. take care...swabby out
Old 09-25-2004, 11:02 AM
hikaze
Fire Beetle

Again, I understand this isn't an EQemu post, but I was also in the military (Army) for 6 years and have been deployed to Macedonia/Kosovo for over 6 months... all in all I will say it was the best thing I have ever done in my life. Granted you run into all of the B.S. you can ever ask for, but the benefits after you're out is often too good to pass up. I've purchased a house using my V.A. benefits, have my G.I. Bill and also joined the Federal Civil Service using V.A. preference (which more or less puts me ahead of the hiring list above most other people) and now am getting paid 47K a year w/o a degree and I'm only 24. It's definately a big decision, especially if you're thinking Marines (becareful, the use powdered soap! JK). All in all, good luck to you if you do follow through... pay attention to detail (most important) and work as a team, that's what boot camp is all about (aside from the basics of skills of combat and survival). Good luck!

On a side note, this will be my first time hookig up with EQEmu and I look forward to the next fix... I just hope that I'll be able to get it all working! Great work guys! V (o.o) V -=peace=-
Old 09-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

Default heh

heh im hoping to do something a lot like that hikaze=) im 18 now and i have to be out in 4-6.. im signed up for 4.. if i like it i may stay a few more. if i really like it i may stay a while.. but right now my plan is to give it 4 years.. try it out.. hopefully over the 4 years im living on base i can save up a good amount to buy me a good start once im out.. i should be making about 1k a month and sticking about 800 of it into a savings.. so at 800 a month for 4 years... well.. thats a nice savings in my opinion=) but then again. thats just what im planning now. it could change.. heh. but im glad to see people are glad they did military things. whether its the navy, army, marines, or air force... although we havent seen any air force posters post here yet.. heh..
well, thanks guys for the encouragement on gettin through it all. hope to be back posting here in about 4 months posting about how bootcamp was to me=) the one thing i really am kinda looking forward to is the crucible.. it sounds fun=). nice lil 3 day type of obstacle course=) i think my recruiter said about 8-12 hours of sleep for all 3 days. 30 miles of distance i think.. yeap.. good fun.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 AM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Quote:
although we havent seen any air force posters post here yet.. heh..
heh, I've been in the Air Force for almost three years now and I am within a year of my bachelors degree. Do a whois lookup on the eqemulator.net domain and you will see its address is on Lackland AFB hehe

I love my job (computer programmer) and get to work on all sorts of cool classified projects Its not for everyone, but its really a great way to get your degree and more importantly get work experience.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 AM
ltlruss
Discordant

I'm also in the AF.... Been in for 8.5 years. Can't beat the education opportunities, even though I haven't really taken advantage of them. I do have some great experience in electronics though. Right now I'm working in circuit card repair. My main job is Ground Radar Maintenance. There are many career fields that will give you huge advantages when looking for a job on the outside. Just make sure that it's something you enjoy doing. Good luck in Boot Camp

SEARCH It's your friend
Old 09-27-2004, 09:35 AM
tcsmyworld
Discordant

Old 09-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Kroeg
Hill Giant

You're still the man as far as I'm concerned .. thanks for pointing that out for us that are all too oblivious