Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

Old 09-28-2004, 02:58 PM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

ahh there the air force guys are.. heh.. air force was the first one i was actually thinking about.. then decided on the marines.. im not sure how long i will stay in the marines... right now im set for 4 years. but if i like how it is going i may stick to longer. hoping it wont be to bad.. i wouldnt mind staying in for a year or 2 longer but then that could easily change as time progresses...
curious if we got any marines who have just recently did bootcamp... i wanna know a lil more info on it and maybe get some tips on bootcamp and passin the crucible...

hey edgar, how hard is it to get a job like computer programming? i thought about doing something like that also.. id like to get to learnin more about computer programming.. just not sure yet if i wanna make a career out of it.. guess it wouldnt hurt to take some side classes later on to learn some just for fun.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:42 AM
Zeldak
Fire Beetle

What is it that doesnt work with that patch anyway? I downloaded it and ran it. It worked for me, i got into the server select screen. I could connect to a server. But when i tried to create a char it was weird and i couldnt proceed. =P

EDIT: and i think that was because i didnt have all the expansions installed or something =]

EDIT2: Now i even connected to a server, created a character and played after reinstalling and installing all expansions (except OoW):P
Old 09-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Edgar1898
Former EQEmu Developer
Current EQ2Emu Lead Developer

Quote:
hey edgar, how hard is it to get a job like computer programming?
Well you have to take an additional test besides the ASVAB. If I remember correctly it was called the EDPT test. This test is MUCH harder than the ASVAB test. Its a completely different kind of test (basically a glorified IQ test). After you pass that test, you just go through MEPS and into the AF as a programmer. As far as I know you dont have to make any particular score on the ASVAB, it basically just comes down to the extra test they give you.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

ooo... i think ill wait a few years on that. prob see if i can pick up a extra class to give me a little experience with programming.. then think about it a bit more then. because i think computer programming sounds a bit better then accounting... this way it gets me going in 2 directions hopefully.. and i can choose which one i want.
thanks for the info.

on a side note.... cant wait to get bootcamp and stuff over with so i can start up playing EQEmu.. even if for only an hour a day..
Old 09-30-2004, 02:53 PM
ltlruss
Discordant

I took that same test before I joined.... I don't necessarily think that it would help to learn about programming to do well on it. If I remember right, it's been 9 years or so, it was more of a test of your ability to basically learn a new language. Given the basics of a language, you figure out how to interpret things and how to use it. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember.... And yes, it was much harder than the ASVAB. I did pass it, you need a 75 and I think I scored a 78 or so, but I wasn't thinking and decided against going into programming... Oh well, you live and learn

SEARCH It's your friend
Old 10-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Talamr
Fire Beetle

thanks for the info ltlruss.. i didnt think the asvab was very hard. then again it was morning and about half of it i just played around filling in random bubbles.. and still had a passing score to get the job i wanted 2 years later=) but its something i hope to look into down the road. i usually can figure things out.. its something ive been good at all my life. about the only thing.. problem solving math problems were always my fav ones. so hopefully its something ill like if i choose to do it..
my last question about that though is, is the air force the only one who offers computer programming? or do u guys think the marines do also? ive yet to look into it for the marines.. so i dont know if they have any programs or whatever for it.