Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: Should we make an EQEmu Team usergroup?
Yes! 14 87.50%
No. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 11:37 PM
mattmeck

Default Community vote

I have given this some thought, and others have provided feedback.

I am putting this to a community vote.

I am looking at starting a new user group to put people in who help the community by submitting (quests, code, DB work, anything that helps) or who are a help in the community while at the same time not causing issues.
There will be one person to make decision on who gets in the user group…. Me
There are no rules to get in, there are no rules to be kicked out, I make the judgment call, there will be no posting one thing then getting in, and there will be no being kicked out because someone got pissy over something stupid.

Nobody here gets paid a penny, and none of us have the time to monitor every single little issue, so there is no fair way to make everyone happy, either this passes a vote and goes into effect, then people who don’t like it can just STFU because the community wanted it. If it don’t pass then there will be no user recognition because we don’t got the time.
Old 04-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

I thought what I had set up was working fine. Everything I do, involves a lot of time thought, and work - more than all of you because I'm a slow thinker and a slow typer ( I hardly know how to type).
A lot of things I did here in the database and in these forums, no one never even thought to do before. I risked the criticism, and went ahead an did them anyway. This resulted in people working together outside the silent "Dev" group and created vast improvements to the Eqemu database, forums, and source.
I don't want to be part of any remnant "EqEmu" team anymore and removed myself from the admins. The star removals frustrate me too much, I know a lot of you people worked hard and liked your "stars", so I'm gone with you all - the only ones who protested, where the jealous ones who did no public work, or just worked on their "custom" servers.
What's next will ensure I remain "booted" from here, and I don't really care anymore;
EqEmu means Everquest Emulator - The goal here is to emulate the Everquest Emulator and this should be the priority. All the "Custom" servers custom work, should not even be permitted.
Like I suggested before, The most that could be done is re vamp the login server , to where it's separated to true supervised/ legit, Everquest-emulated servers- then provide for custom servers , and maybe another for the "free-for-all" servers. The Forums should have nothing to do with customization of EqEmu. I know this will be impossible, because in reality, these forums and the Login server are in control by the "free for all" and custom server owners, who believe this is not to their best interest.
I tried everything here, when I joined EqEmu forums over a year ago, I right-away wanted people posting fixes and better quality of the emulator. No one was doing anything, EqEmu was dead at the time. I started posting every little crappy assed fix I had to anything, in hopes others would follow sample. Eventually, it evolved into the "star" ranks, in which things were starting to look good tell today (lots of very nice fixes came from all you "star" people).
But, like they say, "All good things must come to an end".
Old 04-26-2008, 01:58 PM
mattmeck

WTF is this Angelox???? You told me to do take away the user groups because it was falling apart and people had been bitching since day one and nobody got the point of it!

Now your trying to make me look the ass......
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM
mattmeck

I am tired of the crap from the community, I am tired of the backstabbing from the people who are sopose to be running and helping run stuff.

I am done, let someone else deal with the crap.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:36 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
All the "Custom" servers custom work, should not even be permitted. .
Angelox, your obsession with "LIVE" always puzzled me, but the statement above just killes me.

Custom servers is the PRIMARY thing driving this comunity, simply compare number of people who wants to be JUST LIKE LIVE, compared to those who want to be custom.

Honestly, if I want to have "live" I will pay $15 to SOE and have 10x times the content and near perfect stability that Emulator can posibly provide trying to mimic it.

The only reason me (and a many many others) here is to be custom, and to make a custom BETTER everquest that soe could posibly ever make.

PS. I am curious... excatly who is in charge now? =)

PPS. Mattmeck - in my personal opinion you were a very capable admin. Anytime you decide to come back - you got my support =P
Old 04-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Richardo
Banned

Yeah... I've been sitting around in the shadows not involved with the forums but still active.. but yeahh.. I quit. Good luck Angelox...
Old 04-26-2008, 11:39 PM
TheLieka
Developer

Unhappy

Oh my...

Dax

Former ServerOp - Vallon Zek / Tallon Zek Emu Server - Legit / Guild PvP - (2007 - 2011 RIP)
Old 04-27-2008, 12:02 AM
Richardo
Banned

Daxum you turd. rofl...
Old 04-27-2008, 12:43 AM
moydock
Discordant

Don't go! I loved my pink title!
People were bound to bitch about the system. This is the first i've heard of it though so it couldn't have been too bad. I think they should just be ignored. The benefits outweighed the cost by far.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Sakrateri
Dragon

To quote myself from another post

Quote:
I am also sorry to see whats happening to the community here and I hope something happens to pull everyone back together and realize that this is a community made up of many different people with many different ideas and none are wrong or bad they are just different and that is what it takes to make good things happen.

Also in an open forum you are going to get people that get mad and try to take it out on everyone (misery really does love company) and we ALL should just try to learn to first help them and if they continue to be rude then ignore them.

So in the immortal words of Rodney King as we are getting our faces knocked in "can't we ALL just get along"

Game Gallery

My Forums

Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 AM
Dr Zauis
I know how to fix that!

Default Im saddened!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmeck View Post
I am tired of the crap from the community, I am tired of the backstabbing from the people who are sopose to be running and helping run stuff.

I am done, let someone else deal with the crap.
Aw..Sorry to see you go. As long as Ive been here you have been a straight shooter. Everything you have done has been for the good and not the bad.
I never once believed you overstepped your authority. In fact you have went out of your way to be a good moderator.

This community has just lost a fine human being!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:09 AM
So_1337
Dragon

Hopefully everyone keeps off the forums for the weekend, blows off a little steam, and comes back feeling better. I really hate the idea of a few jackasses ruining a great idea. Angelox and Mattmeck have done some extremely great things lately, by cleaning up the forums and taking charge.

To me, it's never been an issue of whether the 'old EQEmu team' (FNW, Doodman, etc.) was around and active, or anything. The forums have been in good hands with Matt, and more recently with Angelox stepping up to help out. None of the past drama matters, because things have really been looking good here lately.

I say bring back the titles, bring back our great admins, and to hell with anyone who gets in the way. Matt, Angelox; you guys do what you like, but know that you'll be missed if you're indeed taking off for greener pastures and more appreciative flocks.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:43 AM
trevius
Developer

Wow...

After years of EQlive, I have grown hardened to almost all drama. It is bound to happen. It is amazing how 1 thing that seems so minor can snowball into an incident like this. I realize that there are probably things that have built up over time, but I truly hope when everyone calms down that things can be straightened out.

The entire community owes both mattmeck and Angelox a great deal of gratitude for everything they have provided for the community over the years. Heck, I don't know what will happen without the mattmeck filter in place to keep out spammers and keep the forums in line. And Angelox trying to get everquest running the way it should be. Both of those guys have answered enough questions and helped enough people to make most people's heads spin.

Personally, if you 2 really are leaving the community for good, I really wish it had been on better terms and for better reasons. You both deserve to leave honorably and by your own will. IMO, leaving this way defies everything you 2 have worked so hard to build and protect. Wouldn't you rather leave the forums knowing that they are still in good hands? Does the entire community really deserve to suffer? I am sure some people do, but there are also MANY great and helpful people here. Many have put endless hours into the emulator and I hope many will continue this effort.

I am sorry if there were some individuals that were causing conflicts and being demanding. They don't speak for all of us. As with anything that involves people, there will be different ideas and there will also be some people who have malicious intent or who are just plain immature. I am sure those people can be hard to ignore all of the time. Unfortunately the role as moderator or any role in this community that involves volunteer work to be done during people's free-time is a thankless role. I try to make every effort to make those people know that I appreciate them.

If I was good at remembering names, I would make a list right now of the people here who I think deserve my thanks directly. But, since I am horrible with names, I just want to say that I greatly appreciate all people who have made an effort to better this community. Some have done so more than others, but they all deserve thanks. So...

THANKS!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 AM
cole89103
Banned

well ive been quiet for a long time, personally nothing against Matt but I think that the devs should be the ones to take care of the forums and answer questions, as they are the ones who actually do know whats going on with the emu better then anyone.

Everyone was so worried about splintering the emu but in essance that is what occured anyway, we have a forum community and then we have a dev community, one doesnt know what the other is doing and vice versa.

I think the titles were a good idea, I think that anyone who submitted anything that was worthwhile should have gotten one.

Hopefully the dev team will step up to the plate here and get back to the community they work hard on, if not then i hope others step forward to fill the void.

one emu should mean one community imho. and I think the dev team needs to be more active, who knows the "forum" admins leaving might endup being a blessing in disguise, because the devs might actually come back to the commmunity
Old 04-27-2008, 11:03 AM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

We should wait a few days and let people blow off steam.
- I actually liked the idea of the stars for recognition of work, and
would reinstate it - but have to see what happens in a few days.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Closed Thread