Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Archives > Archive::General > Archive::General Discussion

Archive::General Discussion Archive area for General Discussion's posts that were moved here after an inactivity period of 90 days.

View Poll Results: Should we make an EQEmu Team usergroup?
Yes! 14 87.50%
No. 2 12.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 11:29 AM
cole89103
Banned

I agree to a point but i think no matter what happens the devs need to be more active again and the community more united as a whole, thats how things used to be, and to be honest i have no idea why the dev team decided to go awol from the community but i think they need to come back no matter what happens.

Ive been here for two years now Ive seen alot of things go on that I dont agree with. Ive also seen the forum admins get more and more seemingly angry with the world, and people get banned for the slightest disagreement with them. Ive also seen alot of good coders work go un-noticed or more importantly their work blown off while others get recognition due to them being part of the "in crowd"

On the other hand ive seen the community survive exodus' like this before and come out stronger in the end. So its anyones guess what will happen but i think bare minimum the admins need to take a step back and cool down all around maybe take a vacation or something, cause there seems to be alot of deep seated anger floating around for one reason or another and that in and of itself is bad for the community
Old 04-27-2008, 11:35 AM
cole89103
Banned

Now im not saying everyone and their brother deserves a title or what not but even still a simple "thanks for the hard work you put in" goes a long way ya know?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Richardo
Banned

Dev, FNW and Rog pocketed $$!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:27 PM
cole89103
Banned

well if thats true that just aint even right
Old 04-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Richardo
Banned

Well, it's what I am told. They've received quite a nice sum of donations that got pocketed. While they're sitting there not doing a thing, Mattmeck didn't get a cent while he's busted his ass for years on this forum. Whatever though, who cares right? It's just donated money. I mean, taxes get wasted every year by government expenses and no one does anything about it. :p
Old 04-27-2008, 06:43 PM
cole89103
Banned

well if thats waht he was mad about he really shouldnt have taken it out on the rest of the community though it does say alot about why he was so hot tempered at times
Old 04-27-2008, 07:22 PM
trevius
Developer

Considering anyone in the position to be able to have access to donator money has without a doubt put endless hours into working for the emulator, I personally don't have a problem with this. Any small amount of cash they might be able to pocket would be nothing compared to what the going rate is for a developer position in a real job.

My understanding was that these forums and website were paid for by Rogean, so if he got donations, then as long as the website remains up I don't see why there should be any conflict here.

Last, I don't think it is a good idea to let rumors spread without any real proof. I suggest that everyone ignore that until some proof of any accusations are shown. Even then, I don't think any presumptions should be made until the full picture is seen/heard. The last thing this community needs right now is more drama. Innocent until proven guilty IMO.

I really hate to see people burn bridges and blow things out of proportions. There is always a chance that it will be regretted later. I understand that the admins and devs have worked hard and long to get those titles, and I think they deserve for us all to reserve jumping to any conclusions until there is a good reason.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Richardo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole89103 View Post
well if thats waht he was mad about he really shouldnt have taken it out on the rest of the community though it does say alot about why he was so hot tempered at times
I'm sure it wasn't the reason.

Also, the donation money is meant to maintain servers and expenses regarding the site. Not to buy a pizza with or in Rogean's case a "Bacon Cheese Burger" from Wendy's.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
cole89103
Banned

I have to agree with richardo even the implication that anyone pocketed donations is seriously wrong, this isnt give the devs play money its help the emu i dont see how giving someone pocket cash would be helping the emulator in any way shape or form
Old 04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
KLS
Administrator

I don't see why every time there's a bit of drama people have to start throwing around accusations.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:40 PM
cole89103
Banned

well id be less inclined to believe it if one he wasnt on the eqemu team and two if it was the first time ive heard this but its not its been said many times before so there has to be atleast a grain of truth to it ya know?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:48 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
I don't see why every time there's a bit of drama people have to start throwing around accusations.
And to think, when KLS stops making updates, maybe someone will start rumors about her...

No one deserves that, especially without good hard proof. This is not a good motivator to keep the current devs working, guys!

If you respect all of the work that has been put in by the devs and mods, then please ignore anything to smear their reputation until there is actual reason to believe otherwise. I think we all owe them at least that much...

As long as the login server and these forums stay up, I see no reason to question where donations are going. If there is a little extra to pocket, so what? This is volunteer work, not a job.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
cole89103
Banned

Im not saying one way or another let me make that clear, but i will say that generally where there is smoke there is fire and like i said ive been here two years and ive seen the same thing (almost word for word) Said more then once, does that make it true? Certainly not but nor does it automaticly make it false in truth none of us have any way of knowing where the donations go.

I think at minimum this issue needs to be addressed and not swept under the table and ignored out of some misguided albeit noble idea of loyalty of respect for their work.

All that is well and good but if they are indeed taking donation money that is supposed to be used to further the emulator project then that is embeslment(SP?)

and their coding abbility has nothing to do with their integrity.

but enough of this lets just get back to the emulator and not the politics if its true then well they are in the wrong if its not then they arent simple as that
Old 04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
trevius
Developer

I think the main point that is being overlooked here is that the debate is over an issue that should be a good thing. If there is a surplus of donations, that is GREAT! I would much rather see minor issues with a surplus of donations over an issue with lacking enough donations.

Ideally, the extra cash should be put toward credit to keep the website and login server running. As long as things are paid for and running, who cares what happens to the extra?

There is no easy and clear way to deal with it. Imagine if the extra money was used to be split between the devs and mods... That would be a nightmare. How do you decide who deserves what amount? There is only 1 person responsible for paying the bill every month and as long as that gets paid, it is ok in my books.

If this whole issue is based on say 100$ not getting divided 10 ways, I think that would make this whole conflict pretty pointless. The last thing we need are devs fighting each other over 10$ a month because some think they deserve 15$. Either way, with the amount of work put into this emu, any small amount of cash that could be divided to the whole team would mean everyone is getting paid like $0.05 per hour. I am sure they can all find better ways to make money if that is the intention. Again, this whole project is volunteer based and getting money involved is sure to only lead to issues.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:30 PM
cole89103
Banned

the conflic is basicly stealing money donated for upkeep of the site and emu project and using it for their personal use if you steal petty cash from work you get fired, if you steal money from a non profit organization and use it for personal use you get fired its called misappropriation of funds its also a crime.

noone should get the money for their personal use that money is donated for the emu and the site NOT for the devs or admins personal use THAT is the issue that is at the heart of the matter, and if they ARE doing it IF I reiterate. then they should be banned and kicked off the staff
Closed Thread