Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Database/World Building

Development::Database/World Building World Building forum, dedicated to the EQEmu MySQL Database. Post partial/complete databases for spawns, items, etc.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 AM
unknownhost
Sarnak

seeing conflicting info on how the level range is figured.

i can assure everyone wihout doubt that right now on live (and as far back as two years ago for SURE) ldons calculate dungeon npc levels based on average group level definately NOT the first person to zone in. i routinely 4 boxed ldons very often on live progression server (as of two months ago my characters are 10th in MM catacombs rankings & somthing like 80th overall rankings). there DID seem to be "tiers" you would hit based on that average level however. like for prime example once all of my characters broke lvl60 the mobs took a huge jump in difficulty and it became extremely difficult to three box before the timer expired and then ONLY collection missions were even remotely doable. It was when i first discovered this that i added my fourth box to compensate. ALSO! you may enter a LDON as long as your group is with in 10 levels of each other, highest to lowest. as my fourth box came closer and closer to my other characters levels i watched the npcs very slowly get stronger, then as soon as that fourth box broke 60 BOOM the npc's hit that next "tier" and levels jumped noticably again. however 4 boxing these was very repetative and LDONs at this point typically took 30mins to complete collection missions. again, the other mission types all take significantly longer and while "possibly doable" are definately more targeted for multiple players.

common mobs drop almost nothing. still find newbie items like spider silk, mummy bandages etc on many of them. (odd note things like spider silk barely exist on live now as the tradeskills have been completely redone and the items required drop off ANY mob in the game now by level. ( varying quality pelts,ores,etc). only about 25-50% of the mobs in MMcats even dropped coinage. all common mobs seemed to have a chance to drop "plat items". which were usless weird little items (like bloody mummy wrappings, idols, bone segments,etc,etc weirdness) that often sold for 10-20plat.

Named mobs were rare, i never cleared the zones but even just hacking through i would finda named about 1 out of 3 dungeons. i strongly suspect had i cleared the entire dungeon there would have been at least one named mob in every dungeon.

many times i would get multiples of the same items per level range even off completely different named mobs.

got good bit more LDON knowledge but i gotta get back to work before somone releazies im gone.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Thank you, trevius. Your posts are always insightful. Not to dwell on anything, but the "lack of acknowledgement" does not mean the devs pick up and run with anything - not at all. I knew they were busy with other things, or more accurately back a year ago, not interested in anything EQEmu really. So I took it upon myself to try and figure things out. When WildcardX posted that it's almost a done deal, there was not a word about the months of my life I spent sorting through that shit. THAT is what pissed me off. Goes for about a dozen other things I have contributed to the emulator over the years that never got even an honorable mention. If it weren't for players/admins expressing their gratitude, it would be for naught. =)

Now, to address roadblocks - I think I more than clearly addressed all issues with the current code by Cofruben in the post I linked. From the time that code was first implemented (and I believe working then), the player structs changed over time and eventually one value "adventure_id" went missing. that stops the show immediately... as you cannot even start having a conversation if you do not have reference to this ID. I've tried hacking it to work, but never figured it out (I am DB, not C++). KLS gave me a good direction to try by using the extended_profile to store the value, which I also could not get to work due to a lack of experience. I'd come here asking questions, and aside from KLS, got nothing.

The next issue was of course the lack of actual adventure information in the tables, which I went out and built myself. But since someone else has this all under control, I figured my info was not necessary. So if you want to see the blockage, start in client.cpp, "Client::SendAdventureRequest()", and follow the GetAdventureID() to nowhere. That's the roadblock.

Had I known as much about C++ and these emulators then as I do now, I probably could have rewritten the entire thing and tossed the old code, rather than try to fix what was already there.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevius View Post
Mostly, I just need to know where it stands at this point, because there is alot of code in there already and without knowing what works and what doesn't it is hard to work on it :P
Btw, if you ask my opinion, everything that exists currently should be scrapped and started over. The typos and odd capitalizations are enough to drive an OCD guy like me over the top.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Kobaz
Hill Giant

A bit offtopic, but if things get a big change/rewrite, then perhaps Zone::map could be renamed to something else to ease building under recent gcc.

Here endeth the rant.