Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 AM
paaco
Discordant

Default Server Suggestions ( what you would like to see )

I am going to get an eqemu server going again just for the learning experience of it all. I actually learned quite a bit when I was doing the Dragon's Flight server a while back. Just looking for suggestions of what people would like to see. There's a ton of servers atm and quite a few that are actually pretty decent so there may not be a huge need for any kind of server at all. Either way it's a very good way to learn and have fun at the same time.

Anyways, post away and let me know your unique ideas or just what you would enjoy seeing. I have a spare PC sitting around that I will set up as a server and run 24/7 on a 10mbit cable connection with 2 mbit upload speed. It's specs are:

Opteron 170 Dual Core cpu
2gigs ram
36gig Raptor HD to run the server on.
Ran my old server on Windows Server 2003 and it did pretty well so I'll probably use that again.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Tantalar
Sarnak

If you could host the classic 4.4 server that would be sweeeeeet. Only problem is the merchant but but almost everything else is just a database problem.
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 PM
paaco
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalar View Post
If you could host the classic 4.4 server that would be sweeeeeet. Only problem is the merchant but but almost everything else is just a database problem.
Would rather use the one with the Titanium client..I appreciate the suggestion though. I honestly like the new UI better...although I probably had the most fun in EQ back when they used the old UI.

I really don't know what to create yet. I want to make something different, but not so different that it's not EQ anymore. I would really like to do something pvp, similar to what the old Guild Wars was with some ideas of my own thrown in. There was definitely a lot of custom work done to Guild Wars though and I don't think that I have the necessary skills to pull it off. May be fun to give something like that a go though since my main goal is to learn while having fun. Anyways, more ideas would be great
Old 09-01-2008, 03:54 PM
paaco
Discordant

Getting this rolling now. I am going to do a progression type pvp server that will combine all of the live mobs, quests, and items with some custom spawns, events, and quests. By progression I mean you will have to do certain quests or events to gain access to places. Similar to the PoP progression on live but definitely not as hard core. To start with I will probably only have the original EQ zones open, maybe some of the keyed or flagged zones that are reachable will be Velious/Kunark but the whole expansion wont be open. Hopefully that will keep people from spreading out and keep pvp alive. There will be some type of reward for pvping although it is not set in stone yet exactly what it will be. Max lvl will be at 50 to start and if I actually get a big enough player base as the server evolves and new zones open the lvl may increase. I do not see it ever going over 60 though. PVP above 60 gets very unbalance and it would take a ton of work to fix.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, if anyone actually reads it I would appreciate your thoughts, input, or any additions you can think of to make my idea better.

Paaco
Old 09-01-2008, 08:39 PM
xSUFIx
Fire Beetle

Yayy, pvp.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:46 PM
paaco
Discordant

I dunno if that Yayy pvp was sarcastic or genuinely happy lol...
Old 09-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Traul
Hill Giant

Sounds like a cool idea, wish it was PvE though
Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 AM
paaco
Discordant

Well if people really would rather it be PvE, thats no problem. I'm honestly doing this mostly for the learning experience I had the first time I made a server. I have a lot more fun learning while I mess with eqemu than I would reading a book or looking at tutorials online. If people let me know their opinions on exactly what would make a good server I'll get this rolling in my free time. I got it all up today and did a little customizing.

If anyone with some experience wants to help out with world building, quest writing, etc...let me know and I'll get you set up. ( Has to be someone that has been around for a while and knows what they are doing )

For some reason I put my server PC together today and the PSU does absolutely nothing at all, so I ordered another one from newegg tonight. For now it is running on my main PC but should be fine running 24/7 on it till I switch it over.

Phenom 9850 Quad Core
4 gigs ram
Windows Vista Business
Old 09-04-2008, 02:26 AM
paaco
Discordant

Have server on the list now and made a website for it. Neither are overly impressive right now. Server has all normal spawns plus a few customs and a lot of change to variables and code. Check them out and post your comments opinions, etc.

http://www.baneoflife.com

Server is called "Bane of Life -Under Development-" on the list.