Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Support > Support::Windows Servers

Support::Windows Servers Support forum for Windows EQEMu users.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:25 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

Default Updated Guide/Links

Hey, I'm trying to get a windows server set up, and at least 60% of the link i follow are outdated or broken.

Can we use this thread to Organize the links/version numbers we should be using, what works, and what doesnt?
:

for example: I recently downloaded the rev222 PEQ from http://code.google.com/p/projecteqemu/ and the eqlaunch is broken.
Before that i was having zone loading problems and Tav suggested to someone with the same problem to update to rev222 - I did and it broke for me.

1) Where should I download PEQ database? (The PEQ website is down, the CVS is out of date)

2) Where should I get the Zone/World/eqlaunch and other EQEmu files?

3) What versions numbers work currently? (the latest compatible version numbers are....?)

4) where can i find a guide that is not out of date?
-Cvinion
Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

I used this guide: http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ka=ws992mysql5 it's not too hard to follow and find how to fix things that aren't covered in the wiki, just had to do two things (update to rev222 and some thing to do with perl)
Old 12-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

How did you update? can you explain the steps you used ?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:14 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
How did you update? can you explain the steps you used ?
read the steps in http://www.eqemulator.net/wiki/wikka...ka=ws992mysql5 that's what I did, then since I updated to rrev222 in gave some error about perl so I searched the forums
Old 12-21-2008, 08:10 PM
kiirdiir
Sarnak

I did the same not too long ago. I followed the guide as I always do (I have installed EQEmu a few times on several machines). Read the notes at the top of the page and follow the guide and/or the PDF. With Perl, since I could not find either DBD-mysql or DBIx-MySQLSequence, I skipped it and it seems to work fine.

The only things different are the version of perl, where to get the latest version of EQEmu, and information about the CVS stuff for PEQ..

It's a mess and not user-friendly; maybe someone will get ambitious enough to clean it all up. There are a some posts on the forums about easy-installs too, but I have not tried any.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:21 PM
trevius
Developer

I went through last week and cleaned up a few things and updated some things that where way out of date. I definitely didn't go through the whole thing though, just changed a few things that were causing alot of problems with the installs. Someone probably just needs to go through a fresh install and correct/update each step that has changed.

PEQ is stored on sourceforge, so it doesn't matter if the PEQ hosting is down or not. Sourceforge isn't going anywhere and the guide tells step-by-step how to get it.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

uhg
now i cant connect to my mysql database, and im getting errors when trying to reinstall and in command prompt 'mysql' gives me an unknown command error, and i fixed the environmental variable to redirect to the right c:\mysql\bin directory and now its giving me more errors

this is such a fucking headache for me. paypal 10 bucks for someone to RDP/VNC and set it up!

edit: so when you update to rev222 do you have to have a clean folder, or do you replace the files that are in the folder from the last build? i was just extracting *zip*\build\(contents) to c:\eqemu\
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

alright, so i reformatted the virtual machine i was working on , and it's all going very well so far...

if this works i'll compile everything i have into a comprehensive list
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
Cvinion
Sarnak

so far so good, just have to figure out why none of the npc will talk to me.

what can i do to debug this?

1) i dont have spell casting problems
2) i have all my quests in emu\quests
3) plugins moved from emu\quests\plugins to emu\plugins
4) Perl v. ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32
5) Mysql v. mysql-5.0.67-win32

edit: getting quite a few of these "[12.21. - 21:51:21] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/tutorialb/Prathun_Stumblebum.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called. (reverting to default questfile)"
Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

last thing
now that everything is working...

once i figure out how to split the serer load between a few computers i will start my write up!
Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 AM
jenco420
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinion View Post
last thing
now that everything is working...

once i figure out how to split the serer load between a few computers i will start my write up!
If you get that working let me know how you did it ><
Old 12-23-2008, 12:40 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

arg.
booted the sever up today and the NPCs wont respond to hails again.

Boots up and the interesting parts of the log to me are:
[Quest] Warning: error compiling

and im back to this....
I havnt changed the perl version since the time i had this working.
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Starting Log: logs/eqemu_quest_zone_3680.log
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Tying perl output to eqemu logs
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Creating EQEmuIO=HASH(0x3fdee3
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Creating EQEmuIO=HASH(0x3fdf180)
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Loading perlemb plugins.
[12.22. - 23:26:06] Loading perl commands...
[12.22. - 23:29:26] WARNING: error compiling quest file quests/tutorialb/a_Gloomingdeep_plaguebearer.pl: Perl runtime error: Undefined subroutine &main::eval_file called.
(reverting to default questfile)
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 AM
trevius
Developer

Your quest issue sounds like you may have an issue with the quest file for that particular NPC. Maybe check the script for anything bad or just rename it for now to see if it stops the errors.

As for getting the load spread across multiple servers, good luck :P I tried that a long time ago and found that the port assignment from the launcher is horrible. It doesn't keep track of which ports are supposed to be used on which launcher. So, if a zone crashes and restarts, it may restart on the wrong zone server. Which means that if you have them both on the same network, the ports won't be forwarded to the right server and people won't be able to get into that zone. And, if you are considering running all static zones, that is even more of a nightmare when trying to split them between multiple zone servers. It is almost certain to have randomly locked out zones as a result of issues. The only way you can run multiple zone servers currently without issues would be if they were on completely separate networks with separate internet connections. Because, then you can forward the same port ranges for zones to both servers and not have to worry about the poor port assignment, because it wouldn't matter anymore.

Here is my old thread about it:
http://www.eqemulator.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25052

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to get this fixed. I may know enough ab out code now to actually fix it myself, but I just don't have the time to look into it right now. I will add it to my list of things to eventually check into, but I wouldn't hold your breath :P
Old 12-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Cvinion
Sarnak

THanks trev, the NPC listed above is only an example, it happens for every npc who has a quest for every zone I enter. I didn't want to spam hundreds of lines, though.

I hear a different version of perl works, so im trying a clean install tonight ( love virtualboxes)