Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badplayer View Post
People were claiming a few posts up that the server was reset but it still doesn't boot which would infer that something was changed to prevent PEQ from loading.
Clearly you know nothing of systems administration, or much about computers in general. There are plenty of reasons why a system might not boot properly after a problem that has nothing to do with changes being made to the system.

And ultimately, that person's statement was merely a guess. There is no evidence to suggest his guess is correct. In fact, there is some limited evidence to the contrary. Best I can tell, the server has not been rebooted yet. But that is still a guess based upon very limited evidence.

And, assuming I am correct and the server has not yet been rebooted, no, I do not know why not. But before certain people get into a tissy fit about this, consider that since the evidence is very limited one way or the other, the system may have been rebooted and simply still not be responding for reasons unknown.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Maladien
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqua View Post
could this be the end of PEQ?
O.O

No.

PEQ is the eqemulator test server. EQemu would have to shut down before that would happen and even then I'm willing to bet someone would still be hosting PEQ. Read page one of this thread, you'll see that the main admin is out of town till today.

I guess I just assumed it was rebooted and didn't come back online. Maybe it wasn't rebooted. I should really not comment on what I don't know about /sigh
cavedude00 is back today tho and I'm hoping it will be back online within the next day or two once he can get access to it and figure out whats going on.

Which is a good thing, cause I've already played through Mafia II twice since it's been down. Going back through it again and unlocking achievements now /cry

Last edited by Maladien; 08-31-2010 at 11:25 AM.. Reason: corrected assumption
Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 AM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1337 View Post

I thank everyone involved in creating this great server and I apologize to the Developers, staff and others involved in some way for all of this bs.

Thank you. We deal with this every time there are problems. It's people like you that keep us going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
These last few posts have my head spinning as to who's fighting with whom, but if there was some confusion over my post earlier, I just wanted to add that it was concerning Rogean's post on page 8:

If this was taken as something other than one opinion from a player trying to contribute constructively, it was taken incorrectly. If such opinions are not welcome, I apologize and will not post any further.
Such feedback is always welcome. In response to it, we would not go back to a backup unless it was absolutely necessary. We completely understand that even a few hours of rollback can make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaqua View Post
could this be the end of PEQ?
/sigh

PEQ has been around longer than nearly all the other servers in the EQemu community and it will be around after most of the currently active ones have disappeared. PEQ has been through much worse than this and survived. Sure, we have lost server population, but since the players who leave tend to be the whiny, unhappy players who expect flawless service for free, is that really such a bad thing? Those who stick around tend to have a server of happy and helpful players when they return.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:46 AM
badplayer
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeorn View Post
Clearly you know nothing of systems administration, or much about computers in general.
Wtf dude, you should probably stop the assumptions then.

You also just made 2 posts that completely contradict each other. I posted the following:

Quote:
Since the server is still down, I'm guessing Cavedude sent an email to FNW about the server and FNW never bothered to read it and nobody ever called the hosting company for reset.....that would be my best guess.

and you post

Quote:
You'd be wrong, but that's ok.
Then you completely reverse your story a few posts later and say exactly the same thing I said?!?!??

Quote:
Best I can tell, the server has not been rebooted yet. But that is still a guess based upon very limited evidence.

And, assuming I am correct and the server has not yet been rebooted, no, I do not know why not.
wtf?
Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM
Mghargh
Fire Beetle

@badplayer

You are also making an assumption. You are assuming that they Were able to immediately contact FNW as I believe, and I may be wrong, he was supposed to be out of town. If there is anything more wrong than something like a simple reboot can handle it could be a simple software glitch that would need someone familiar with the program to straighten out. It could even be something as simple as some noob at the hosting company feeling too busy to screw around with a free game server while he/she has other servers to keep track of that they actually get paid for operating. For that matter who says that our server is the only one on their site that is not working correctly.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:15 PM
gaeorn
Developer

I said the server has not been rebooted as far as I can tell. I also stated that what you said in the following quote was incorrect:

Quote:
Since the server is still down, I'm guessing Cavedude sent an email to FNW about the server and FNW never bothered to read it and nobody ever called the hosting company for reset.....that would be my best guess.
How do my two statements conflict with each other? Apparently you are unable to see that FNW could have been informed and responded so we know he is aware of the problem, but at the same time the server has not yet been rebooted. Your statement said FNW probably had not read an email and the hosting company had not been called. But we got a response from FNW so we know he was aware of the problem. This shows that your statement that you think cavedude merely sent an email to FNW and FNW had not yet read it was wrong.

Quote:
Then you completely reverse your story a few posts later and say exactly the same thing I said?!?!??
There is a difference between the server not being rebooted and people not being informed that the server needs to be rebooted. Your statement above (first quote in this message) says you do not believe people at the hosting company were informed. My statement says the server was not rebooted. The two are not discussing the same thing.

Based upon your logic, asking someone to do something is exactly the same as it having been done. Those of us with children know that is often not the case

In any case, I'm getting very tired of your attitude. You appear to only be here to cause trouble and be negative. So far, your posts have all been speculation without any evidence. They have all been very negative and at best have been questioning how things have been handled. At worst, they have, for all intents and purposes, accused the devs of incompetence. I have yet to see a single post you have made in this thread that was of any use to anyone.

Apparently you are so frustrated with being unable to play on PEQ that you feel you should try to make life miserable for those who are putting their time and effort in to providing you a game to play at no cost to you. I am politely asking you to stop now, before my patience runs out.

Last edited by gaeorn; 08-31-2010 at 01:21 PM..
Old 08-31-2010, 01:21 PM
DeathSymbolic
Fire Beetle

This forum is full of 11 year olds. Including the moderators.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathSymbolic View Post
This forum is full of 11 year olds. Including the moderators.
Earlier in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathSymbolic View Post
And you can count me as a player that PEQ just lost to p1999
Need I say more?
Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 PM
badplayer
Sarnak

Quote:
In any case, I'm getting very tired of your attitude.
I don't have any attitude, you tried to claim I'm some kind of idiot that doesn't know anything about computers. I was talking about technical issues only such as two $800 raid cards being astronomically expensive for a 300 population server since the hard drives don't even exceed the i/o capability of a pentium 4 southbridge.

Quote:
Clearly you know nothing of systems administration, or much about computers in general..
Old 08-31-2010, 02:22 PM
below9k
Fire Beetle

When ever someone plays the video game everquest alot of hard work and time goes in to playing the game so when the server is down emotions run high.

What many people do not seem to realize is that there is this thing called life outside of this screen you are reading my post from now.

I have played EQ for years and years on and off, and time away from EQ when you didnt want to separate is hard, but life goes on people.

Gaeorn and others who are still active guardians of PEQ are in the same boat as all of us and i am sure want nothing more than to be back online and killing stuff.

I for one have been spending more time with the gf and making her happy, and also got a 15 page paper done that is not even due till the end of the semester.

Once Gaeorn gets more custody of PEQ good things will happen.

Dont think all of us are upset, most of us do see and very much value the hard work you and others put in to this server and i have nothing negative to say about how anything has really been handled. Because SHIT HAPPENS
Old 08-31-2010, 02:30 PM
gaeorn
Developer

Quote:
I don't have any attitude, you tried to claim I'm some kind of idiot that doesn't know anything about computers.
Either you do not know much about computers or you leap to conclusions. To wit:

Quote:
People were claiming a few posts up that the server was reset but it still doesn't boot which would infer that something was changed to prevent PEQ from loading.
First of all, a system being reset but not coming backup after a crash is not unusual, even without changes to the system. You either do not know this or chose to ignore it as you originally took a possible failed reboot as much more than just an inference of changes, but instead as fact, as shown by:

Quote:
Please for the love of god, no more experimental "I wonder if this will work" changes till FNW stops hosting it.
So ultimately, either you do not know enough about computers, or, even with the appropriate knowledge of computers, you are choosing to ignore that and pick a single possible cause and attack the developers over that possibility.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
badplayer
Sarnak

Quote:
Please for the love of god, no more experimental "I wonder if this will work" changes till FNW stops hosting it.
That was more of a joke than anything. I dunno why you would get mad at that.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:43 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by war_master11 View Post
There are only 3 possibilities

1. like you said, Host got the message, rebooted the server, but the server did not come back up

2. Host has been contacted, but has not reboot it yet for whatever reason

3. FNW has not yet contacted the host, either did not read the msg from CD or just too busy with other stuff (vacation maybe?) and put it off.

Which one do you think is the most likely case?
any clue if they fed the hampstetrs?

Old 08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Fatboy5706
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minstrel View Post
For what it's worth, on the subject of choosing to either restore on a new server from a backup, or wait for the most up to date data, I'm in favor of the latter. This is purely selfish though , as I don't relish camping Phinny for the last piece of the mage epic another few weeks (just finally got the staff the night before the crash, and he is a 3 day spawn). I suspect others are in the same position though. Plus any recent data from the crash might help troubleshoot what the issue is.
phinny is a 12 hour spawn

Old 08-31-2010, 04:15 PM
truckinunc
Fire Beetle

Default ???

So any news on when its gonna be back up? I saw something about hopefully Tuesday, but haven't seen anything lately