Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:07 PM
krebulax
Fire Beetle

To Rabbi dan-

Why even complain? Some people enjoy walking around being able to kill stuff on their own, or with a friend so you dont need 50 people on at once. it is fun for us and just leave it at that. I can log in tonight, play for an hour, and get done what would take 3 days to do with a guild.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Rabbi Dan
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayward6 View Post
Thats simple... you don't have to. Now get the hell out of my thread.
Obviously it wasn't a simple question because you didn't have an answer for it. I just don't see the draw, and I don't know why people throw up servers that they've put zero effort into (like the majority of the servers). Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way though!
Old 08-01-2008, 01:46 PM
krebulax
Fire Beetle

hayward-check your pms please.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dan View Post
Obviously it wasn't a simple question because you didn't have an answer for it. I just don't see the draw, and I don't know why people throw up servers that they've put zero effort into (like the majority of the servers). Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way though!
You don't have to understand though, it's ok to have different opinions. I still play on live, and I like the ability to explore a zone on the emulator first to get a feel for what it's like. There are many reasons to play on a server like this.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:12 PM
So_1337
Dragon

Feel free to put your own effort into your own server if you aren't liking the variety you're finding. This is all what you make of it.
Old 08-01-2008, 03:30 PM
lanileb
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by krebulax View Post
On a quick note. When I zoned into POK last night, and haild the NPCS, none of them responded. I went into POJ, and none of the tribunal guys would respond either.
On the NPCs not responding, he probably hasn't filled in any of the quest files for them. It's been a while, but I believe most NPCs on the emulator (depending which database you're using) don't come with all of their original quest scripts and what not. It could be something else, but that's probably one of the more likely answers. I'd wait for one of the more knowledgeable people's opinions though. I don't have THAT much experience with the emulator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi Dan View Post
I just don't see the draw, and I don't know why people throw up servers that they've put zero effort into (like the majority of the servers). Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way though!

Like what Hayward and Krebulax said, one of the reasons people enjoy these servers is for the simple fact that you don't need a raid of 72 people to take down some of the harder bosses.

And, excuse me, but running a server, even one like what Hayward is running, is not a "zero-effort" job. I worked on Krusher's for a few months and it's a lot of work if you're dedicated to it; especially if you're adding in new content such as quests, items, events, custom NPCs and whatnot. It adds up pretty quick and if you're not careful it can be a pretty time consuming project depending on how good you are at coding and how many tiny typos you make in your code. Try running a server of your own like the one Hayward is running, update the content and work out some of the bugs involved in it, and then come back and say if it's a zero-effort job.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

I just pulled the #level command and created an npc in PoK that will level you to 65, increase your skills, and scribe spells. I'll be adding merchants and some special quests sometime this weekend.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Armor and Weapon merchants have been added in PoK at the main bank. I split the venders up by armor type (Cloth, Chain, Leather, Plate) and there's a Weapon merchant that sells all the Epic 1.0 weapons (By sell, I mean they give them away)

I also have a special quest npc there that I hope to start using by this weekend. My plan is to have that npc request a specific item (Thats why summoning will be going away) she may give some hints... but for the most part I want your knowledge of eq lore to help you track down the item or npc that drops it. The rewards for completing her quests will be great! and she should have a new quest each week.

I'm not ready to pull the #summonitem command yet, but I will be soon.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

It was pretty good seeing some people playing last night. I saw someone two boxing in Veksar and paid them a visit and then I saw the best thing you can see on a non-legit server... I saw a level 6 Gnome Pally in Kurns Tower actually playing the game He was of course outfitted far beyong what he should have, but he was enjoying some good old leveling.

Kreb and I woke the Sleeper for fun and it was amazing watching that! It's been reset, maybe some day we'll get a group together and really pull it off.

For new players, I have enabled Glooming Deep and have been leveling my own mage in there, I love that zone. If you talk to the Exit guy "Arias" he'll send you to your starting city. I haven't removed #Zone yet, but it's coming soon. I have a translocator in PoK and I think I'll give everyone an item that will take them to PoK, but beyond that I don't want free zoning and the explouts that go with it. I'm also planning on doing some special merchant work... we're all wearing the same armor
Old 08-16-2008, 09:32 PM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Ok, a little update

We're up to over 200 accounts created now, and although we're not as busy as some servers, its stable and the people playing seem to be enjoying themselves; I just made some changes across the board to pets. I have double their HP and Damage to help bring them inline with what I feel they should be on a low population server. Please let me know how its working out for you.

I also wanted to give a brief comment about items and zoning so you're not surprised when you log in. Everyone starts in Toutorialb. Wen you're ready you can move to your starting city, and when you get to POK theres a leveler waiting for you there. There are merchants selling epics and level 65 gear and a translocator that will also give you an itm that allows you to gate back to pok. I'll be removing the zone command soon, but it wont really be needed anyways

Looking forward to seeing you!
Old 08-21-2008, 08:39 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

I'll be pulling the server down sometime this weekend to make the switch over to Linux. I'm getting fustrated running it on Windows with the somewhat frequent zone crashes and ghost characters... I know my way around in Linux better anyways
Old 08-24-2008, 11:31 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Server has been taken down. I'm running a full backup and will be switching to Linux throughout the day. This work should be done within 12 hours depending on how my day goes Once the work is done ill announce it here.

Thank you,
Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 PM
evil_sexual_tomato
Fire Beetle

This sounds great. As soon as I get a copy of Titanium edition I'll will be joining you.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:27 AM
xSUFIx
Fire Beetle

Get this back up!!
I'm so anxious to play! :P
Old 08-25-2008, 11:04 AM
hayward6
Forum Guide

Coming back up now... had to throw the Windows system back on it after struggling with it all night. The Debian guide is good, but there are several areas that don't flow right, and you can't follow it step by step. I know LInux pretty well, but compiling is a whole different story I'm just glad I used a new hard drive and kept the one that was ready to go in Windows