Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:11 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

the point is why take a simple task and make it all involved. in reguard to your asking about server details the server is a deadicated server with a 1.8ghz amd 64 cpu 2gig of ram , 128meg ati x200 vid card , 100gig HD and its got a dvd burner with light scribe also it is not a PC it is a Laptop so it will stay running even if the power is lost. its kept up to date with the latest mangos files and UDB database.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:45 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

because thats how HE wants to do it, and it really aint your concern how he does it no offense.

as for server details i think we meant about the game itself, what makes it different from the other million and a half wowemu servers and why would people from this project want to play on it? the fact that your running it off of a laptop though is enough to keep me away as it would by deffinition be unstable and not very reliable in terms of uptime
Old 06-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Bulle
Hill Giant

Your laptop will go on when the power is lost, I am not so sure about your Internet connection equipment ! I agree that having a server that "survives" micro-shortages is very nice, if only for data integrity. My home server is a laptop too, mainly for the little room it takes. Integrated screen is great.

I have planned to install Mangos at some point to try it out but have not gotten to it yet.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:18 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

yeah laptops are nice however they are not meant to remain on for extended periods of time nor host a server. and I highly doubt anyone will just leave their laptop sitting in one place, that totally defeats the purpose of a laptop.

Issues with leaving a laptop on 24/7 include overheating the cpu, burning out your fan, overheating the hd, other issues include the fact that it will be used for other things at the same time, heck hes running two different mmo servers , a webserver, mysql which requires a good hung of the processing power justto continuiously do all the queries in those two huge databases, the os which is most likely windows vista (which will eat up half his ram right there cause vista requires a minimum of 512 megs of ram jsut to run by itself and thats the home basic version ultimate requires alteast 1 gig all by itself minus the video ram since its shared) so lets see with mysql the webserver, the eqemu server, the wow server running all at once plus his os thats going to basicly destroy any kind of performance for more then one or two players on the servers at any one given time

And we arent including whatever else he uses it for while its running those servers.

Laptops are not meant for that kind of usage, bare minimum within a few months he will need to buy a new one ( Im guessing givent hose specs its probably a very low end dell since they match my old laptops specs almost to the letter could be an hp as well but its not a brand new one)

Plus the instability factor of him deciding hes going to take his laptop to work (or school) Or even starbucks bamn no more server lol

now for a home server a notebook is fine its private and doesnt need stability of not being well taken out and you can turn it off when ever cause you dont have to worry about all your users being on when you decide to bring it down or what not.

with those specs, and two mmo servers he wont be able to support more then a few people on them at a time without having serious lag issues because of the lack of available ram to do things like load new zones if your gunna run an mmo server its always best to do it with a machine taht A Is going to be there whether you wanna go out or not lol and b a system that can do nothing BUT run it unless your jsut looking to run a small private server that is or have a powerhouse laptop with a dual or quad core 2.8 gig or better, ram isnt so much an issue as the processor especially when your dealing with a database with 300k entries in one table mysql uses your processor for queries not your ram

if you want something that doesnt crash when the power goes out thats what UPS are for lol
Old 06-23-2008, 01:59 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

you need to just shut your stupid face you dont know shit about shit the laptop is perfectly fine ive had 30 players on b4 with no lag and just cus its a laptop dont mean i take it with me i have 8 computers. its been running as a server for over a year and its still fine the laptop controls eqemu wowemu my website and mysql and its got lotz to spare.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:33 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

Well this thread sure got colorful
Old 06-23-2008, 06:32 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

lmao I wonder how a 12 year old gets 8 computers lol
Old 06-23-2008, 06:33 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

lmmfao sorry couldnt resist
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

topic closed to get a account you will have to ask me personaly i dont want any ass holes on my server so ill be screening each person my self.
Closed Thread