Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Misc > Misc::Off Topic

Misc::Off Topic Want to talk about something that has nothing to do with EverQuest or the emulator? Post here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i won't even use laptop to play anything more serios than "worms"....
laptops are nothing more but large electronic notepads - regardless their stats
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
trevius
Developer

IMO, laptops are to PCs what PCs are to actual Servers when it comes to any sort of hosting. A real server box is going to be optimized for fast drive access and probably have multiple drives setup in RAID and might even be in a cluster of servers. They are built for stability and normally run an OS specifically for servers. A home PC is decent for hosting some stuff, but in comparison to an actual server, they won't get quite as good of performance and will have a few more stability issues. This is probably partially due to the operating system that is being used as well as the different hardware architecture. A laptop is always going to perform worse than a PC or Server unless it has considerably better stats and is running the right OS and has really good hardware and good tweaks to make it perform well.

I don't think the OS that the laptop is running was even mentioned yet. If it is Vista, then there are bound to be some issues running a server with that. I know plenty of people have had issues with Vista and running a server. To help with stability, you might want to consider Linux. It won't make up for the hardware on the laptop, but it should definitely help in the OS department. Though, I don't think the WoW Emu server runs on Linux, though I wouldn't be surprised if there was a version that can.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:35 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayer View Post
i won't even use laptop to play anything more serios than "worms"....
laptops are nothing more but large electronic notepads - regardless their stats
Well, id say thats a very ignorant statement, for 1 a laptop can easily run things a tower pc can and you even have a short supply of built in backup power if the electricty goes out. I run my server from a laptop with linux installed and it runs perfectly. Laptops are nothing like they were 5 years ago, get with the times sir.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:42 PM
trevius
Developer

His laptop is a 1.8Ghz, so it just might be from almost 5 years ago (or at least 3) :P

Yes, they can be powerful enough now to run most things, but they simply weren't designed for hosting servers.

I imagine your laptop should be fine for hosting your server, but you might start noticing performance issues once your player numbers start to rise.

Of course, the right tweaks in the right places might help that considerably. Many laptops have settings enabled to reduce performance to conserve battery life. Most of these can be disabled to always be max performance, but it might be something worth checking into. But, even with the best tweaks, I still don't think a laptop will perform as good as a PC and won't come close to an actual server PC.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

Ok all this talk about power outages is jsut useless any internet connection you have will require power so thats a moot point no power=no cable or dsl mode = no server reguardless of the fact the notebook itself has a battery simple as that.

Laptops are NOT designed to run for extended periods of time, I have 3 laptops and 4 desktops one of each is brand new and the desktops with the same stats that the laptops have run far better and can run far more software then the notebook ever could.

So its not a matter of getting with the times, its a matter of the technology doing things it was never designed nor intended for.

Read your notebook manuals they all plainly state not to keep them running for extended periods. and again stop talking about the power outage issue because it doesnt matter that the notebook has a battery without power to the modem and router the server wont be up anyway

trevius is correct a notebook will never perform as well as a pc a pc will never perform as well as a real server
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
xxarthurxx
Hill Giant

I dunno so far ive encountered no problems at all, and yes im sure when my server starts caping 100 if ever like trevs server ill look into upgrades, but for now all is well.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:16 PM
trevius
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRathgil View Post
and again stop talking about the power outage issue because it doesnt matter that the notebook has a battery without power to the modem and router the server wont be up anyway
The battery backup on a laptop is a good feature for the server to have since it will save your database or OS from getting corrupted if there is a quick power hit or if the power goes completely out.

Also, in most cases, the power will only flicker and once it comes back on, the modem and router should both restart. This may allow the server to restore on it's own, but most of the time if I have this happen, it requires me to restart the server for my server to pop up on the server list again. But, if you have remote access to your laptop, you could restart your server remotely, which would be very useful if you are away from home for an extended period of time. I was on vacation the last week and a half and while I was gone my power flickered and shut off my server PC. I had to get a relative to go over and power it back on. This wouldn't have been required if I was running on a laptop.

Of course, the ideal setup would be to use a battery backup system such as a UPS. I plan to add one soon and will have the server, router and modem all on it. This way, a short power hit won't effect my server at all, but if it goes out for an extended period of time (longer than 10 mins), the server will still go down until it can be powered back on manually. This would be pretty rare though. But, at least the UPS will shut the server down gracefully so there isn't a sudden crash that could corrupt my database or MySQL (which I have had happen and it can be nasty).
Old 06-23-2008, 09:22 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

what ever "my shit laptop" can run all zones in static and has i just dont like useing all that ram. it dident crash as much when i had it setup like that eather i should proly put it back like that its easyer to track down what zone crashed and how. it also ran rappelz epic 4 fine and oblivion and many other games.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

Laptop
Component Details Subscore Base score
Processor AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile Technology ML-34 3.7 2.4
Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB 4.1
Graphics ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series 2.4
Gaming graphics 891 MB Total available graphics memory 3.0
Primary hard disk 59GB Free (93GB Total) 4.2
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
System
Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model Pavilion dv5000 (EZ524UA#ABA)
Total amount of system memory 2.00 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 1
64-bit capable Yes
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 93 GB
Disk partition (C) 59 GB Free (93 GB Total)
Media drive (D) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type ATI MOBILITY RADEON Xpress 200 Series
Total available graphics memory 891 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 128 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 763 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.31.100.32
Primary monitor resolution 1280x800
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
Network
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Old 06-23-2008, 09:41 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

Main PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+ 3.6 3.6
Determined by lowest subscore
Memory (RAM) 1.50 GB 4.5
Graphics Radeon X1650 Series 4.3
Gaming graphics 575 MB Total available graphics memory 4.8
Primary hard disk 69GB Free (112GB Total) 5.1
Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate
System
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model A7N8X2.0
Total amount of system memory 1.50 GB RAM
System type 32-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 1
64-bit capable No
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 345 GB
Disk partition (C) 69 GB Free (112 GB Total)
Disk partition (D) 78 GB Free (233 GB Total)
Media drive (E) CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type Radeon X1650 Series
Total available graphics memory 575 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 63 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.501.0.0
Primary monitor resolution 1280x1024
DirectX version DirectX 9.0 or better
Network
Network Adapter NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter
Network Adapter 3Com 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller
Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

if you had a clue youd know vista is using half of your ram just to run by itself genius read the minimum requirements for vista ultimate... 1 gig of ram that brings your 2 gigs down to 1 gig right there... but i shouldnt reply further because youll just close the tread like a little kid.

BTW that laptop is atleast 3 years old ( I know cause i have a turion 64 x2 model thats 3 years old.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

and your pc is even worse it shouldnt even be running vista ultimate, you really should try researching system requirements
Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

vista dont use more then 256meg it self if you turn all the bull shit off.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 PM
opyrus
Hill Giant

requirements for vista from microsoft
1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 GB of system memory

40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

Support for DirectX 9 graphics with:

WDDM Driver

128 MB of graphics memory (minimum)

Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware

32 bits per pixel

DVD-ROM drive

Audio Output

Internet access (fees may apply)
Old 06-23-2008, 09:51 PM
LordRathgil
Banned

yeah that leaves 512 for everything else heck eq alone takes 300 megs just to load the client lmao like i said your pretty clueless.

now for the laptop, that leaves 1 gig to run both game servers, mysql , your webserver and any other software you happen to be running, ontop of that vista is notoriously slow ( hence why your laptop more then likely came iwth vista home basic or premium installed like everyone elses)

BTW vista alone will also use ALL your video ram by itself since youhave a 128 meg card... like i said debate when you have a clue
Closed Thread