Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactuss View Post
Huh? There are quite a few non-custom servers. Look at PEQ. There would be plenty of need to have other non-custom servers if they were for different expansion. I for one would love to see an LoY-based 'classic' server. I didn't like EQ pre-PoP (Yes, I know that makes me a faggot.)
TAKProject exists. It's a 3-boxing PoP-era server.

http://www.takproject.net/forums/index.php
Old 11-22-2015, 08:04 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

What the fuck is the point of this? Building a server with a single-character limit assumes a lot of things, and those are all things that each server owner should decide for themselves.

I fail to see the point of coming here and requesting that future server owners fall in line with what you think they should do. Build your own server, lock it at 1 IP, and leave the rest of us to do our thing.

I wish the p99 envy would just go away. I have never understood why what they do has any bearing on anybody else - at all. Like their idea? Use it.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Exactly.

The 99 debate is getting old. This is the third thread this month. There are enough servers on the list to fill just about any play style a player could have.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:34 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Playing on P99 these days. It has good points, other points, and bad points. One sore point is the 1 box per ip, that same exact point is part of the reason I started playing. If I am allowed to box, I feel somewhat obligated to. THB, I am sick of boxing. This rule simple takes that option away. Good.

Now, my 10 yo daughter asked to play with me on EQ... Errrr..."Sorry, but that is just not likely." I am still playing. I would have really liked to have her play. She likely would have got bored, then I would have got tempted...

I am very much planning on trying out Legacy of Froststone because of these recent threads. Will see you in the next day or two
Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
What the fuck is the point of this? Building a server with a single-character limit assumes a lot of things, and those are all things that each server owner should decide for themselves.

I fail to see the point of coming here and requesting that future server owners fall in line with what you think they should do. Build your own server, lock it at 1 IP, and leave the rest of us to do our thing.

I wish the p99 envy would just go away. I have never understood why what they do has any bearing on anybody else - at all. Like their idea? Use it.
I'm just making a call for more future servers to have this feature. I'm not telling anyone else what to do. If you would have actually read the thread, you would've seen that.

P99 envy? What are you going on about you insane twit?
Old 11-22-2015, 11:06 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

And the namecalling begins.

Again, these are things a server owner decides for themselves. I don't think you coming here in exactly this way has done you any good. The same old arguments about the same old thing.

My advice? Build your own server following the rules you suggest. Then it's a non-issue and everybody is happy. This thread doesn't even need to exist.

In other news - Look at me!
Old 11-22-2015, 11:12 PM
Traul
Hill Giant

The reason most servers don't follow this rule is very simple: they cannot sustain anything resembling a decent population without allowing some amount of boxing.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:26 AM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ctrnl View Post
And the namecalling begins.

Again, these are things a server owner decides for themselves. I don't think you coming here in exactly this way has done you any good. The same old arguments about the same old thing.

My advice? Build your own server following the rules you suggest. Then it's a non-issue and everybody is happy. This thread doesn't even need to exist.

In other news - Look at me!
You were being rude. I responded accordingly.

As for things there are no need for? There is no need for you to comment on a thread you think is pointless, no?
Old 11-23-2015, 11:06 AM
phorest
Sarnak

I'm of the mindset that being able to box a support class helps out a ton. Especially if you invest a good amount of playtime in a server, but rarely have a group because of a low player base. Legacy of Frostone is fun server if you like to solo, but finding a group is a rarity. The "all or nothing" world of boxing and bots seems like it could be trimmed to allowing 2 chars per ip, bots or no bots. Atleast that way you can play a tank/healer combo and get exp while no one else is around. Or you could just have a server full of solo classes , unable to ever do raid content.
my 2 cents..
Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM
N0ctrnl
Discordant

The real issue is the population. Unless you are sure there's a large population at any given time, the single IP limit is a killer. That's why not many people set it.

I can tell you that on VA, I will never make it 1 per IP for the reason I just mentioned. If I had ~100 individual people, then maybe it'd be worth a shot, but then you spend more time chasing people trying to circumvent it than anything else. To speak to the real technical point - I'm sure I'm not the only one to have circumvented the P99 IP limit with a VPN or the like.

In the end, what you're demanding - and you were demanding - is unsustainable in most situations and will just serve to alienate any population you might have picked up organically. If you want to advertise the shit out of a well-polished experience, then MAYBE you could pull it off, but even then it's a long shot in my mind.

With TAKP and others, there's really no reason not to set it up yourself and make the IP limit whatever you want. To answer your initial question, this already exists in the rules and isn't hard to set/change at all.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Burningsoul
Discordant

I had a good three paragraph flame lined up for this clown, but N0ctrnl nailed all my points.

Quote:
this already exists in the rules and isn't hard to set/change at all.
<-- That's the icing on the cake Galactadoof, that rule has been available in stock databases for YEARS. Mayhaps research a bit? There's lots of fun under the hood.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:26 PM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactuss View Post
Dear future server makers, please make your servers with one player per IP. Not having so ruins the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
It takes more effort to make a single-box server than it does a multibox server.

That's the only reason, coupled with content designers in our community are lazy.
I highly disagree with both of you. Majority of servers exist with a player-base in the single digits. A lot of those in the 1s and 2s. I'm sure you two are wonderful marketing geniuses with a grand player-base, but that is not a reality for a lot of developers. Thus just being able to experience their content as it was designed is enough.

And no it doesn't take more effort to design a single-box server. Absolutely zero difference in time. Any dev who's doing his work is balancing all content to be as "intended" regardless of for an army of boxes or players.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

As far as the whole concept of "grouping" on these servers, something that does
factor in, is the diversity of client software. Even if 6 people group together, if a
couple of them only have Titanium and others have UF/SoD, etc, then it could
make things difficult for them to integrate as a group, moving on to other zones.
That's the one advantage that a server like p99 has. All players can run together.
But for the many servers that may be set up for all clients, different story.
In testing my own server, I logged 2 toons on, one titanium, one HoT. Got the
two running together, but it only went so far.
That's actually the similar scenario back on sony live servers. I had times when I
was asked to group, but lost out because I didn't have the expansion they were
going to play in.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:14 AM
EQEMU2010
Sarnak

Well since this thread is about a single IP server I would like to see a new one created something similar to this.

Classic-RoF_2 content or classic-pop with custom boss mobs instead of the same old ones.I dont care if the NPC match the era of zones they are in really.

Somewhat follow the theme of old EQ quests to get keys/flags to kill mobs and progress but totally new from scratch quests.

Just something new mix in random loot that is super rare and maybe have unique items that can only drop 1 time ever. Then have a normal loot table also per tier of zones.

Have tiers where people know by the color your class is wearing and special weapons or rare world drops with a particle graphic so people can distinguish what items you have. I always liked this. Bard were Blueberrys, Ranger were using elf shoes and so on.

Just my thoughts if someone were to create a Single IP server that was actually different and full of new stuff to key/flag for and explore I believe population wouldnt be an issue.

I know this takes a lot of time and dedication to do and sometimes isnt appreciated much if at all more than a week or month maybe less but you never know who the next GM will be on EQEMU.

Provocating wins my vote as BEST GM,Low ping,and stable servers,however I don't think hes very fond custom EQ.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:20 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EQEMU2010 View Post
Provocating wins my vote as BEST GM,Low ping,and stable servers,however I don't think hes very fond custom EQ.
I am not, other than something new I have been doing which are GM events.