Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:21 PM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Default Make Servers with P99-style IP exemptions!

Dear future server makers, please make your servers with one player per IP. Not having so ruins the game. Unless you really want your server to be more or less a single-player experience, please consider this. Every server always just devolves into people running around with full groups (sometimes even full raids) and blowing through all the content, while the people who want to play one character might as well not even bother, if they ever want to see 50+. It eliminates all sense of community, other than the very occasional conversation in /ooc. Why play an MMO with no actual multiplayer experience?

I don't understand how this isn't more prevalent of a thing. Is it too hard to code? Do you guys not see the value in it?
Old 11-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactuss View Post
Dear future server makers, please make your servers with one player per IP. Not having so ruins the game. Unless you really want your server to be more or less a single-player experience, please consider this. Every server always just devolves into people running around with full groups (sometimes even full raids) and blowing through all the content, while the people who want to play one character might as well not even bother, if they ever want to see 50+. It eliminates all sense of community, other than the very occasional conversation in /ooc. Why play an MMO with no actual multiplayer experience?

I don't understand how this isn't more prevalent of a thing. Is it too hard to code? Do you guys not see the value in it?
It takes more effort to make a single-box server than it does a multibox server.

That's the only reason, coupled with content designers in our community are lazy.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:30 PM
demonstar55
Demi-God

Quote:
Do you guys not see the value in it?
Most likely that. It's not hard by any means.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Interseting. I'm even more surprised that P99 is the ONLY server with that function then. It really breaks any of the servers that try to be anything like the original experience.
Old 11-21-2015, 10:58 PM
Uleat
Developer

You realize that one-account-per-ip-address severely limits cohabiting players.

Heck, you could probably take out large portions of some countries by doing that...

Compilin' Dirty
Old 11-21-2015, 11:19 PM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post

Heck, you could probably take out large portions of some countries by doing that...
You would just have to do the same thing P99 does, and have people apply for extra. Obviously, P99 isn't too limited by this. It's the largest server by FAR.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:02 AM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post
It takes more effort to make a single-box server than it does a multibox server.

That's the only reason, coupled with content designers in our community are lazy.
Somehow just noticed your comment. I can understand that to some extent for custom servers. But it's the non-custom servers which completely blow my mind for not having it.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:13 AM
EQEMU2010
Sarnak

I do like these types P99 and Legacy of Froststone are the only two I know of P99 has been around a long time only reason I dont go back I want a fresh start, but population wont be there likely until Daybreak quits releasing EQ content and the game is shut down for good.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:29 AM
Huppy
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uleat View Post
I have to agree with Uleat on this, simply because, even when I was playing on Sony
live servers 10 years ago, I found myself running 6 accounts over 4 boxs. I did that
because I got sick and tired of being LFG for a good portion of playtime, so I decided
to create my own little group. So population, in itself, does not guarantee anyone that
true "mmo experience", even when people are only running one toon.
Any populated servers here on EQEmu, I don't think "forcing" players in to abandoning
their choice to multibox is going to help, it may just cause them to lose interest.
In my opinion, one IP or 10 IP's allowed, in really does boil down to player preference,
rather than the administration of the servers.
Maybe one could think about a voting poll to see how many EQEmu players prefer
to play with more than one account ?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:47 AM
provocating
Demi-God

Although people still today try to persuade me to allow boxing on my server it will not happen. Since we are a tight knit community we normally recognize someone trying to box fast, they get banned. I will say that not allowing boxing also does something else interesting, it shows bugs pretty quickly. Since the players are really having to play the game without the advantage of boxing or bots they notice things they would not otherwise. We did take an extensive look at mitigation and that has been adjusted to where it is way more like live was back around 2001. A few things that have been worked on that have made the hugest impact on the players, as far as positive feedback have been pet pathing, mitigation and charm.

Seriously though if you have not given Legacy of FrostStone a fair shake then stop by. If you are the boxer, MQer or like instant gratification then the server is not for you.
Old 11-22-2015, 01:34 PM
Secrets
Demi-God

Quote:
Somehow just noticed your comment. I can understand that to some extent for custom servers. But it's the non-custom servers which completely blow my mind for not having it.
Non-custom servers are niche. P99 fills that niche.

There's no need to have another P99, unless you want 'bits of custom design/direction/content' in your server.

If you limit boxing, you can't have a healthy population. Why would anyone play on your classic everquest server over P99? You have to be engaging more than that.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:30 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets View Post

There's no need to have another P99, unless you want 'bits of custom design/direction/content' in your server.

If you limit boxing, you can't have a healthy population. Why would anyone play on your classic everquest server over P99? You have to be engaging more than that.
Okay so McDonalds fills the gap, it is probably the biggest Hamburger fast food chain out there. So since it fills the gap for fast food burgers no one should ever open up?

Wal-Mart is the largest retailer, leading others by nearly triple. So I am guessing your opinion is that Target should just not exist? I get tired of this analogy about p1999 being the only option out there. I personally am not looking for numbers, never have been. I administer and create my servers because I love it. If no one else ever played it will still remain open just because I love what I do. The p1999 argument gets really old though. Sure they are great at what they do but those high numbers also seems to create a hostile community and it appears to be getting worse.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:42 PM
microlo
Sarnak

Just to fuel the fire. In 1999 i started a cleric and realized I cant kill anything or do anything without help so a couple weeks later i bought another everquest cd (for codes) and started boxing mage and cleric since 1999. This allowed me to atleast do stuff camp minor quest gain minor experience, and how many groups doesnt want a cleric and mage. The stronger my toons got the better I did too especially having mage pet tank the healer and tank were in cohorts same person. I would of never stuck with everquest for so long if I couldnt do this. Now i absolutely love p99 but i spent 4 years waiting for my epic, and lfg for hours and never getting anything or spending an hour making it to a group for it to fall apart. There is nothing wrong with having a 2 or even 3 box limit, it doesnt change the game, it just gives people options. What american doesn't like options?
Old 11-22-2015, 02:57 PM
provocating
Demi-God

Why is this even an argument? There are like 50 servers on the list that allow boxing, bots. Hell many allow both.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:25 PM
Galactuss
Fire Beetle

Quote:
In my opinion, one IP or 10 IP's allowed, in really does boil down to player preference, rather than the administration of the servers.
As nice as it sounds to say, "let the players decide", at the end of the day, everyone on the server has to play in the same world, wait for mobs on the same respawn, and be on the same economy (or lack thereof in most cases) as everyone does. So, having some players who box and some who don't doesn't really work, it'll just end in the players who decide to multibox dominating the whole server and the ones who choose to play a single character left in the dust.

Quote:
Maybe one could think about a voting poll to see how many EQEmu players prefer
to play with more than one account ?
Not a bad idea, it'll at least show if there is a population who agrees that there should be at least some servers with this feature.

Quote:
Seriously though if you have not given Legacy of FrostStone a fair shake then stop by. If you are the boxer, MQer or like instant gratification then the server is not for you.
I have yet to give this a try. I was under the impression that only P99 didn't allow boxing! I'll be trying it soon.

Quote:

Huh? There are quite a few non-custom servers. Look at PEQ. There would be plenty of need to have other non-custom servers if they were for different expansion. I for one would love to see an LoY-based 'classic' server. I didn't like EQ pre-PoP (Yes, I know that makes me a faggot.)

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having a 2 or even 3 box limit, it doesnt change the game, it just gives people options. What american doesn't like options?
I never said I opposed this solution. 2 or 3 box limit is not a bad idea, because there would still be plenty of content that you would need to cooperate with other players to do. 2 box would probably be ideal until a server started getting a decent population, at least.

I should clarify, that I'm not saying every server should have this limit. I just find it very odd that P99 and apparently this LoF server are the only ones that use it. It really adds to the experience in my opinion.