Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM
askyn
Sarnak

Default 64bit and EMU .. work ok?

Hi all /wave

Im about to pre-order windows 7, but had a question reguarding 64bit and emu.

That is, does emu have any issues with running on a system with a 64bit os loaded?

Even more specific, has anyone installed the RC of win7 64bit and had any issues running emu?

Thank you much ahead of time.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM
GeorgeS
Forum Guide

I tried for 2 days to get mysql working with Win7 64bit. No luck. Really ticked me off that it failed. MySQL online support appears to be a hit or miss with these issues, as others have asked similar questions.

So it installed ok as a service, but I could not remotely log into it. Also, the mysql??.exe worked ok, but that's about it.

I am also looking for someone to give a writeup if/when they succeed.

GeorgeS

http://www.georgestools.chrsschb.com//
Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 PM
trevius
Developer

If you are just wanting to play EQEmu, it probably runs fine, though you might need to set XP compatibility mode or something on it.

If you are wanting to run a server, then you are probably in for various issues as GeorgeS mentioned.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

With Windows 7 being a slightly modified version of Vista there is no reason why it should not work. I run Vista x64 and I don't have any issues. Yes, there are some things that will be different but a bit of patience and being willing to ask for help on the forums will generally get you through most problems that arise.

Mysql setup seems to be the worst part of the initial setup because it usually does fail but that also happens under XP. A simple reconfiguration of the settings fixes the setup gliche. That problem arises from the program trying to start a service that is already runnning and that is not possible.

And no compatibility mode is not necessary. The need for compatibility mode under Vista is lack of updating by the user. At Windows 7 launch it will be equal to Vista SP3 so compatibility issues should be non existant.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:09 AM
chrsschb
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
And no compatibility mode is not necessary. The need for compatibility mode under Vista is lack of updating by the user. At Windows 7 launch it will be equal to Vista SP3 so compatibility issues should be non existant.
I have Vista 64 Ultimate with every update, patch, fix, etc installed and can NOT play EQ on it. After 5-10 minutes I crash. If I zone, I crash. If someone looks at me funny, I crash. If a mob his me for an exorbitant amount of damage, I crash.

So now I dual-boot XP and when I want to play EQ I just reboot and boot into XP instead. No more problems.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Shendare
Dragon

Windows 7 will come with a built-in Windows XP SP3 virtual machine for backward compatibility, a majorly good idea on Microsoft's part.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:03 AM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsschb View Post
I have Vista 64 Ultimate with every update, patch, fix, etc installed and can NOT play EQ on it. After 5-10 minutes I crash. If I zone, I crash. If someone looks at me funny, I crash. If a mob his me for an exorbitant amount of damage, I crash.

So now I dual-boot XP and when I want to play EQ I just reboot and boot into XP instead. No more problems.
Just because EQ crashes when you try to use it does not mean it is a compatibility problem between EQ and Vista. I will just assume that your computer meets or exceeds the recommended requirements for Vista.

Did you install dx9c? Are your video drivers updated? Is there any crash data that you can provide? Do any other programs crash for no reason? If so which ones?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Congdar
Developer

I've been running just fine on 64-bit Vista Ultimate, but I ended up using the 32-bit mysql.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:48 PM
askyn
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shendare View Post
Windows 7 will come with a built-in Windows XP SP3 virtual machine for backward compatibility, a majorly good idea on Microsoft's part.
That feature is only in the professional version and wont run on all pcs due to the CPU ( and wouldnt you know it, for some reason I have a AMD athalon cpu that doesnt have the virtual support SIGH ).
Old 07-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Shendare
Dragon

Really? Didn't realize it use was limited like that. Huh.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:52 PM
blackdragonsdg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congdar View Post
I've been running just fine on 64-bit Vista Ultimate, but I ended up using the 32-bit mysql.
The mysql-5.0.77-winx64 version of mysql does work on Vista x64, not sure about the others though. I hit a big snag trying to use a 64-bit perl, on compile it gave multiple external symbols errors. Were you able to get any 64-bit perl version to function correctly?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeormom
Discordant

As a client, I've played EverQuest Titanium and SoF on Vista64 and 7-64 and didn't have to change a single thing. I have never needed to use Windows XP Mode and have played with multiple video cards (both ATI and NVidia) and multiple sound cards enabled.

The only people I know with problems use AMD processors so go figure...
Old 07-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Congdar
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragonsdg View Post
The mysql-5.0.77-winx64 version of mysql does work on Vista x64, not sure about the others though. I hit a big snag trying to use a 64-bit perl, on compile it gave multiple external symbols errors. Were you able to get any 64-bit perl version to function correctly?
I was able to install 64-bit perl, can't remember the version but I wanted to be able to use the import_spells.pl file in /utils/ folder and couldn't since the 64-bit perl doesn't have the needed DBD-mysql. So I went with 32-bit version of perl. It may be that I never did actually run with the 64-bit version because I installed it and then tried to get the spell file into the database and failed and went to a 32-bit version.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Mcbaine2222
Fire Beetle

I have been using RC of Windows 7 and I couldn't be any happier. The game is actually much smoother than it ever could be on Windows XP and works straight out of the box without any tweaks. You will be fine.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Speedz
Hill Giant

I'm using:

Win7 64bit,
ActivePerl-5.8.9.825-MSWin32-x86-288577.msi,
mysql-5.4.1-beta-winx64.msi
Rev884-Bots,
peqdb_Rev922,
EQEmuLoginServer

I am trying to do an offline server due to internet being crap.

All starts and connects together fine, the only issue I have is my client refuses to accept user/passwords that are in the database.