Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
Tree
Sarnak

Default Server idea

ok well in a state of insomnia within the last 30 minutes i had an idea for a server, ill run it past you guys and tell me if you like the idea and if i should even should put effert into it

Ok i havent thought of a name, since i just thought of this 30 minutes ago, but this server wont be like normal servers.
It will be custom legit based on PVP with a new twist
its Kinda like Guildwars i guess you can say but i didnt base it off of it
The basis is there are 5 cities duvided by class and deity *race will only be rarley seperate the cities *only being ogre and troll*. Each city will start with just a Leader NPC and a few guards and a Worker.
when a player starts they immediatly spawn in their city and are assigned into the cities guild and will be set with that cities faction.
From here they can just go hunt and kill and what not OR they can ask the leader for a job quest (limited to one per person ) such as a Guardsman wich where you stand guard infront of your city and mobs will be spawned and you must defend it without loosing any fellow guards. Another job could just be a simple crafter that once apon taking the job get a special crafting kit thats no drop so only they can craft certin things that normal people couldnt. The benefit to these is not also money but also finishing a the quest jobs final rank will result in the ability to add to your city
Example
Guardsman once reaching Guard Leader (or whatever) can then in the time of need temporarly spawn 3 Elete Guardsmen when in time of need
A crafter once reaching rank of say, Master Fletcher, can then have a perminant merchant spawned that can sell goods to the citizens that you couldnt normally get.

The economy will be realistic. There are 3 ways to get money within the game, Getting paid for a job quest shown above, Killing humanoids *anything that walks upright on 2 legs and can speak* (wich will be rare only on small raid events), or by Robbing/killing enemy city players.
How will money be used?
Well you most likley wont be buying items from other players, instead you can buy guards, outposts, a town buffer, another worker, or hireing vendors so you and citizens can buy items that can only be purchased from them.

Don't think this is all PVP there will be lot of PvE but ill get to that later

How the system will work
First of all, This will not be a long time game. It will last three months, then there will be a wipe , then a 2 month recess and then the server will start all over, so people can have multiple chances to "pwned the enemy team" even if your team losted within the first month on the first trail.
Example :
Game starts, people join cities that will be limit on amount of players so to prevent stacking
Players level by killing pvp, but mostly PvE, and by doing job quets
Once they reach a certin level they most likley will take on a quest job to open up better stuff for their fellow players such as vendors that sell stuff that can only be bought from them.
Then they will expand by buying outposts or crushing enemy outposts
Then players will begin to attack enemy towns until they manage to kill that cities leader 3 times *each leader has a respawn of around 6 hours to prevent camping* When the city leader dies on the third time that city is dismissed and becomes an outpost for the city that conqoured it. The players of the defeated city have 3 choices. 1. quit cuase OMGodZORS they hax0red us oMG this server sux0rs 2. join an existing city but there will be a penalty of not being able to acomplish job quests and the loss of any current job quest assigned. 3. become rebels without a cuase and just create mahyem for any and every one they see
once the last city is considered victor the server will reset and have a 2 month rescess and then it will start all over again
Winners of that city will not only get listed as a winner for that session but will get the medallion of that city next round they play wich will give them special benefits if they choose that city again next time.

Guards/outposts work like this:
guards will either spawn by completing job quests or by buying them from the Worker in your city
there are a few types of guards
Lessor Guard -melee
Guard - advanced melee
elite guard - advanced melee and some spells
lesser caster - wizard with nukes
Caster - advancded nuker
Minor Cleric - cleric
Cleric - Heals and roots (trying to make it so it cant stun)
General - advanced melee and great health

The will be a maximum of 4 generals per city and one for each outpost they have. Generals can spawn 2 lessor guards, 1 minor cleric, and one lesser caster every hour if there isnt one currently up by his spawn.
Example:
You hire / earn a General he will spawn the listed NPC, if no one kils any of em within an hour nothing will happen, but say if some one kills one of the lessor guards, he will respawn it within an hour after its death. If general dies, none of them will spawn any more.

The advantage to a general is that its cheaper and more efficiant than just buying lesser guards over and over again each time one dies. But remember there is a limit

Now outposts:
Throughout the lands there will be building where you can buy from NPC like mabye a barn house, you can use that as a city outpost buy hiring guards / generals *this will work by a building NPC*
example:
You buy a tower in Qhills from a man who is moving west.
You can use that buildings NPC to buy a general or guards to defend that outpost.
The advantage to outposts are that they create a sense of saftey while people fight in that zone also, All outposts have to be destroyed before a town can be taken over

Gear:
There will be many ways to get gear
One: Buying from normal or special merchants
2: Raiding, raiding will be hard but it can change the balance of the wars to your favor if you can get some "Phat lewt" form these raid mobs
3: Job quests; as reward you may get special items that only that job can recieve
4: Winning the game and recieving that towns medal
5: crafting it yourself

However there will be no UBER gear within this game, by uber i mean nothing will have any stats enhancements over 10+
and no 1 handed weapon will have no damage over 25 ish.
Resist gear will have less states but will proof much more usefull againts casters.

Levels
Maximum level is 50 mainly becuase its more balanced
Leveling will be fast, mabye taking a week and a half to reach 50

PVP
Rewards will be given from killing pvp, not only can you loot enemys money but you will get rewarded by slaying other cities players. You recieve 1 platnuim for each level of player you slayed. and 2 platnum for each level that the player is over you
Example:
A 34 and 36 fight and the 34 kills the 36 besides looting the money he had on him, the 34 will recieve 36 platnuim and a 4 platnuim bonus becuase the other player was 2 levels higher than him

No score tracking system will be used *but one will be kept for my own persnal enjoyments of knowing who just got PWNed*

Cities in general
Each city will have its strength, like one will have advanced caster items and advanced caster guards and buffers, but another one will be more melee and will have stronger melee guards and will have more health
I will try to even this as much as possible

Current problems:
i have found many problems with this idea and they are:
Not enough players, if i cant get enough players then teams will most likley will be unbalanced before it reaches the anti stacking system.
People wont be on at same time, this will give some teams an advanatge to attacking at night when that city has only 2 on at the time
Lazy people, if enough people play and the anti stacking system come into play then there may be a player in a town that no longer plays or is not any help to the city and can hinder that team by taking up a slot that some one else could play
People created characters in another city 1: kill over again to get money easily, 2: spy, 3: take up a slot for that cities team if anti stacking comes into play
Lack of trust, i dont trust most GMs to be fair and to give every one even play and not leaking secrets out.
2 Cities planning to let one take over the other just so they will let it have as an outpost and then joing that city or if anti stacking comes into play they could just help them as a rebel.

Thats it, so tell me whatcha think orif you can see any problems within my system or if you can solve one of the listed problems a above. Critisizm is highly encouraged.

Btw sorry for all the typos, i havent slept in 3 days so i cant really pay much attention to what im doing
Old 11-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Tree
Sarnak

oh here is how Worker will work;
They can hire buffers, guards, casters, healers, vendors, and what not, but the downside of a worker is that if you have only one you can only buy one thing every 4 hours becuase its to busy hiring the people to do another job, additional workers can be bought from leader or can be rewarded from doing job quests
Old 11-18-2004, 10:55 PM
mysticalninjajesus
Banned

the idea of buying npc guards and vendors doesnt sound that cool to me. way to kill player interaction. now if the game was setup so you needed to have guild members guarding your city so you could give them guard tags or i could be a merchant and sit in one of buildings all day selling things necissary to the newbies of my city.. and then getting attacked they would come and attack my shop and id find a hiding place like upstairs of my shop or somethin.. id probly make a friend and have him protect me.. that would be cool. and citys divide'd by class?? whats up with that.

pvp quests would be teh shat too.. example.. say in rivervale you can get a leatherfoot raiders helm.. upon completing this quest you get a quest to go thru kithicor forest into lavastorm mountains for something.. what you do is have an npc giving a quest for leatherfoot helms in neriak.. so you kill the player and take the helm for the quest. etc etc. lots of good reward quests forcing you to travel into enemy territory
Old 11-19-2004, 12:39 AM
Adh87
Sarnak

Sure, do that, PM me if you want some help....
Old 11-19-2004, 08:18 AM
Tree
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticalninjajesus
the idea of buying npc guards and vendors doesnt sound that cool to me. way to kill player interaction.
the gaurds will be week, a single guard can be soloed by any level 50, what they are mainly for is to prevent people from ganking the leader while every one is sleeping

Quote:
now if the game was setup so you needed to have guild members guarding your city so you could give them guard tags or i could be a merchant and sit in one of buildings all day selling things necissary to the newbies of my city.. and then getting attacked they would come and attack my shop and id find a hiding place like upstairs of my shop or somethin.. id probly make a friend and have him protect me.. that would be cool.
But that creats a difficult since not every one can be on at once, vendors makes it so any one can get an item at that time and not wait for a player,however crafting can make nice items for your friends so you can sell em if you want as well

Quote:
and citys divide'd by class?? whats up with that.
it will be more divided by class and dienty than races i mean, like, mabye once city will not allow a certin class, only 2 cities will allow trolls and ogres. So its not gonna be a bunch of casters vs melee i assure you.

Quote:
pvp quests would be teh shat too.. example.. say in rivervale you can get a leatherfoot raiders helm.. upon completing this quest you get a quest to go thru kithicor forest into lavastorm mountains for something.. what you do is have an npc giving a quest for leatherfoot helms in neriak.. so you kill the player and take the helm for the quest. etc etc. lots of good reward quests forcing you to travel into enemy territory
the idea i have is mainly quests will be with your jobs, however jobs will not be as you think, they will take time and effort, it may even take like a month and a few friends to master a job; However; there will be other quests that any player can get but they are much harder and usually require a raid.
The idea of using none accesible zones until you are flagged or recieve an item or what not will be hard mainly becuase i don't know how to do it

Also there are still standard classes; jobs are not new classes but just an expansion on what you can do within the game. So you can be a warrior Guard leader or a wizard guard leader
Old 11-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Scorpx725
Discordant

Doesnt sound like a bad idea to me..
Old 11-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Tree
Sarnak

a few new ideas i recently thought

Ok there will be 5 cities, but only 3 will be used per game and will rotate every game session, When a city is not in play it will just be an outpost.

A horse master you can hire that rents out horses for travel

No nexus or porter NPC, you have to travel great distance or use wizards / druids .

interacting storyline

please list any ideas you guys have