Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Server Code Submissions

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Yea, first unpack the eqg converted maps, then unpack the new (s3d) map pack on top , over write anything there. This will give you all the old zones with the updated maps.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
This Emulator is still alpha right?
That's probably both the funniest and scariest thing I've read in years.

This is a pretty damn long alpha, 0.7.0 for 2 years now?
Old 06-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams View Post
That's probably both the funniest and scariest thing I've read in years.

This is a pretty damn long alpha, 0.7.0 for 2 years now?
At one time, I was thinking of pushing for Beta status - really, the game is totally playable now, no reason to keep it as an alpha.
But in reality, there are so few of the people that own the source, really care about anything at all, it's not worth the effort.
Best thing to do, is probably what we're dong now; post diffs and updates and we'll swap what we have. This is how my AX databases got started; I wasn't willing to wait for someone to make changes when they felt like it.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Derision
Developer

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelox View Post
I wonder if there are any plans to put this update in the source?
I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but to be fair to KLS, who is doing a great job as the main (only?) active Developer, I wouldn't commit this code to CVS either until it had been tested for more than a couple of days
Old 06-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derision View Post
KLS, who is doing a great job as the main (only?) active Developer
Not the only one any more, for the record.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Getting back on topic - sort of - has anyone done a windows version of azone, or am I looking at an old version?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Angelox
AX Classic Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derision View Post
I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but to be fair to KLS, who is doing a great job as the main (only?) active Developer, I wouldn't commit this code to CVS either until it had been tested for more than a couple of days
I didn't mean KLS or anyone else who is doing work on this project - on the topic of when to put new code into the source, You Derision, are a trusted coder, new code needs to be tested, the best way to test it, is to publicize it in the main source so we all can try it out, post feed back - Thats what this is all about. How will we ever know if we don't test it?
When I download new source, I don't expect it to be perfect, I understand it might have bugs, and the Devs might want feedback on that.
Someone just starting here with codefixes, you might want to watch - but you don't need that, what you need is for your code to be tested so you can fix the bugs, just like we did with the water codes and the mob hopping.

Really glad to have your help Scorpious2k, very appreciated and needed!
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
KLS
Administrator

Quote:
Getting back on topic - sort of - has anyone done a windows version of azone, or am I looking at an old version?
When I put this in source I have some changes that should make it *easier* to compile on windows as well.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Scorpious2k
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLS View Post
When I put this in source I have some changes that should make it *easier* to compile on windows as well.
Then I will wait and see what you have done. I had started doing the same thing.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 AM
quadroplex
Banned

It boggles my mind that it was only developed for nix in the first place, seems kind of ass backwards to me considering EQ is a windows app, it requires the eq client zone files, and most people do still use windows to at minimum play the game.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:43 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

Linux.

Tastes Great.
Less Filling.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM
quadroplex
Banned

linux is ok dont get me wrong, but for gaming? Its not quite so hot to trot takes alot more work to get a game running on linux then it does on windows, not to mention this project is os independant so nothing in the official source distro should be os dependant
Old 06-05-2008, 05:29 PM
John Adams
Demi-God

I wouldn't consider running (windows) games on the linux platform. I am speaking solely from a server administration standpoint. Things just run better on linux imo.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:19 AM
trevius
Developer

Running Linux is superior to Windows in so many ways for running a server that anyone with the technical skills to do so, should without doubt do it.

Advantages of Linux over Windows:

1. No player ghosts caused when players exit the game. On Windows, these plague server performance for RAM, CPU and most importantly upload bandwidth.

2. All networking is done better for database editing changes remotely. Changing the database on the Linux Server from a remote PC (even a windows PC) is just as fast as editing it on the server itself. Remote database changes (especially using tools like GeorgeS' Tools) take 10+ seconds per change if you are making them from a windows to windows connection.

3. System resources are noticeably less when running Linux instead of Windows. I can get 100+ players on and only be using around 1GB of RAM and 25% average CPU load, and not even touch the Virtual memory (and I have 2GBs of RAM).

4. Stability seems to be considerably better with Linux. Zones still crash if they are overloaded when players are AEing a ton of mobs, but it seemed much worse on windows.

5. Webmin tools to remotely manage every aspect of your server.

6. Security is much better on Linux than Windows.

The only negative part of Linux that I can think of is that it is considerably more complex to setup than Windows, but the wiki by Andmetal gives a perfect step by step guide to get the server up and running. I also plan to add some more notes that I have learned along the way with the Debian build that I think will help people tune their server and get additional features working for it.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:29 AM
ChaosSlayer
Demi-God

i am conplitly confused.... did you guys released NEW package of .maps for the server????

cuase I keep seeing "overwright sd3 and egg..." arent those client files????
someone PLEASE enlighten me =)