Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > Development > Development::Server Code Submissions

Old 09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

A rule makes no sense for this, neither does this change either but at least it will be easy to edit out.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

I think a rule is appropriate unless someone can verify how it works on live today. I remember rooted mobs just attacking the closest target, but I also don't recall any that were permarooted.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estalia View Post
A rooted mob should always be trying to hit whichever pc is closest to it.

A permarooted mob should be trying to hit whoever has the highest aggro. At 96 percent that permarooted mob should start trying to summon if the player at the top of the aggro table is out of its melee range. There are a few dragons in ToV that have a spell summon that will go off every 30 seconds in addition to the normal summon mechanic, but it will go off as soon as someone is on their aggro table.
Important note: we have an individual Summoning flag for npcs, so perma-rooted mobs should NOT automatically start summoning, unless they have the flag set.
There are raid encounters where, for example, you have a room full of perma-rooted mobs, who just stand where they are and cast, but don't summon
Old 09-26-2011, 05:16 PM
sorvani
Dragon

lerxst: typically the only permarooted mobs you will see are a few raid mobs scattered around in general. Permarooted mobs did behave differently than rooted mobs. Here is a post from 2003 on the subject.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...05380013444374

caryatis: the point of a rule is to let people who do not like something, change that something easily. Yes your post about setting a low run speed works. But the point of the original post valid and the permarooted boolean already exists. It should be used appropriately instead of just getting lumped in with rooted.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:58 PM
lerxst2112
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorvani View Post
lerxst: typically the only permarooted mobs you will see are a few raid mobs scattered around in general. Permarooted mobs did behave differently than rooted mobs. Here is a post from 2003 on the subject.
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/i...05380013444374
That's why I said "on live today". How it may have worked in 2003 could be the same as today, but it also might not be. IMO some things should be checked before just being implemented. But, that's just my opinion.

Also, glad you fixed the error in the original posted code when you posted the patch. Knowing both pieces of code the OP posted wouldn't compile doesn't fill me with confidence.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Caryatis
Dragon

The point you are missing though sorvani is that on live mobs exhibit both behaviors. Some perma rooted mobs attack the closest target, others a use normal aggro list. If you make it a rule then you limit your entire server to only using one kind(and you can change it at will now, per mob).

I dont see why you dont see 0.0001 as permaroot with normal agro and 0 as permaroot like spell rooted.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:50 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

use -1 as a special flag, rather than 0.0001, to prevent some funky behavior where mob accidentally gets agroed by someone, and starts moving towards that player, and eventually leaves his room, if player stays in zone long enough
Old 09-26-2011, 11:31 PM
Kayen
Developer

I have to agree with Caryatis.

This is a fix for something that isn't broken.

Permarooted/Rooted mobs always attack the closest target which is
how eqlive worked long as I played.

If you want to by pass this set run speed to 0.00000001, and I have been doing
this for years with no problems.

Kayen
GM Storm Haven.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Estalia
Fire Beetle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa-YXWSRsXs at the 2:44 the tank is the shrunk human warrior who is not the closest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8fLD...eature=related at the 1 minute mark, im not sure who is tanking, but it isn't any of the people who are close and behind the mob and noone is standing in front of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-W7fPES9E at about 1:10 you can see the dwarf warrior getting knocked back and not being the closest, but yelinak doesn't spin to someone else.

I put in 10 years on live and really don't remember any of the killable npc's who were permarooted attacking the closest pc. I am not saying there isn't one, but most of the permarooted mobs used in the top "raid" zones from Kunark to GoD had aggro tables. If they didn't they would be saying give the warrior a shield and who care what kind of threat he has, he won't be loosing aggro.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 AM
trevius
Developer

I don't think people have any issue with adding the option to set perma-rooted mobs to use a normal hate table vs attacking the closest as they currently do. Seems like there are 2 debates; One being that there is already an option to just set the runspeed to a very low rate to simulate perma-rooted with the same properties as an unrooted mob. The other is that a rule could be added to set it to either handle it one way or the other server-wide for all NPCs.

One solution that would work for both would be to make it a special attack code. Though, I think the simplest solution would be to make it a rule that allows you to toggle if you want ALL perma-rooted mobs to act the same way as reported from Live, or if you want to leave the option to have some attack the closest (runspeed 0.0) and some attack the highest hate (runspeed 0.000001).

Maybe something like this would work out for everyone:

MobAI.cpp
Code:
Index: trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/MobAI.cpp
===================================================================
--- trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/MobAI.cpp	(revision 2021)
+++ trunk/EQEmuServer/zone/MobAI.cpp	(working copy)
@@ -773,7 +773,7 @@

if (engaged) 
 	{
-		if (IsRooted())
+		if (IsRooted() && (RuleB(Aggro, PermaRootedAttacksNearest) || !permarooted))
 			SetTarget(hate_list.GetClosest(this));
 		else
 		{
And this to the aggro section of common/ruletypes.h
Code:
RULE_BOOL ( Aggro, PermaRootedAttacksNearest, true )
Old 09-27-2011, 05:18 AM
joligario
Developer

So if I'm reading this argument right, there is perception that a permarooted mob attacks on hatelist and not proximity? So if a tank generates enough hate and steps back, a permarooted mob will ignore proximity and continue to focus on the hatelist top?
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM
sorvani
Dragon

That is exactly what happens. Of course all of these mobs can also summon so once they are actually damaged, said tank is not going to be able to stay out of melee range.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM
LordRahl13
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by joligario View Post
So if I'm reading this argument right, there is perception that a permarooted mob attacks on hatelist and not proximity? So if a tank generates enough hate and steps back, a permarooted mob will ignore proximity and continue to focus on the hatelist top?
Not really, if the tank would step out of melee range, and the mob could summon it would. If the tank steps out of range, and it can't summon(either it's been used already or the mob doesn't summon at all) the mob will turn to the next person in range at the top of the hate list. It's not like the mob will keep the tank targeted out of melee range just because he is on top of the aggro list.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:49 AM
bowmaster
Discordant

if i remember correctly I was a SK + Necro

Perm Rooted Mobs Do go for the Closest Mob.
Because technically its still a root , but with a longer Duration
Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 AM
wolfwalkereci
Discordant

Really....