Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::Server Discussion

General::Server Discussion Discussion about emulator servers.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 04-16-2017, 03:12 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Default Solo gone wild vs Legit

Quoted from another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
legit servers are just not in anymore.
I would agree with this to a point. There is a few legits with a decent population, but I don't think "new" servers have any hope of attracting legit (or classic grind) players.
People that develop those types of "preserved era content" may want to ask themselves "Has the well gone dry for classic player interest?" Unless the whole project
gets a surge of new players signing up, most of the time, any new classic grind servers popping up will not see an interest. It would be unrealistic to think anyone is going
to draw players away from servers like P99 and others to generate their own population, so obviously when a player has to rely on looking for groups or guilds on a new
server, they won't exist. (The classic player base is not big enough to accomodate new servers)
The biggest (common) pattern we see on new servers is when only a few casual players logon at a time, getting leveled and way ahead before other new players join in,
which also contributes to the "nobody to group with" factor. You could have 50 seperate players looking at a server with 0 population, all thinking the same thing, but even
though all 50 may want to group, the odds of them logging on together, just won't happen.
Many people ignore the most obvious problem, which is communication. Individuals creating a new server climb on these forums without hesitation, but we will never hear
from the majority of the casual player base. It has nothing to do with how much uber work one puts into a server or how great the content is. One could spend 3 years
developing a server before it's launched and have no idea whether any significant amount of players are going to like it. (I'm referring to all types)
If you noticed a successful server like Raid Addicts, it mentions at one point in the past of making it more solo friendly. I'm inclined to think, since RA was a successful
server in the past, the "more solo friendly" decision was based on the modern player desires, which proved to be more beneficial for the server. I tip my hat to him
Old 04-16-2017, 07:42 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Just to point out - IMHO you con confusing Legit with Custom.
Legit doesn't mean "just the hardcore classic", it means no GM commands/cheats.
A custom solo server can be 100% LEGIT =P

Quote:
The biggest (common) pattern we see on new servers is when only a few casual players logon at a time, getting leveled and way ahead before other new players join in,
which also contributes to the "nobody to group with" factor. You could have 50 seperate players looking at a server with 0 population, all thinking the same thing, but even
though all 50 may want to group, the odds of them logging on together, just won't happen.
This is a very good point
Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
Legit doesn't mean "just the hardcore classic"
Technically, yes, you're right. It's really a matter of how each person puts labels on the various types of servers. Sometimes I try to phrase it with "classic grind" when referring
to old school EQ, which is probably a better choice for understanding my point. Too many variables in the communication database. :P But just as an added thought, a "classic"
tag on the Server Type would be a great idea under "view server description" But some players might stop reading at that point.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:49 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

Good points. When I contemplated a hybrid Antonica//Kunark//Velious server, one thing I considered was using the original class's and races, and extending them. Next re-normalize all zones from newbie to end. After all that...extend each expansion by adding numerous zones in various places that are customized. Think adding in the expansion that added Crescent Reach and the Drakkin. I waffled on whether to add them or not to, never did quite decide. Though they would be somewhat entertaining as the primary plot was to extend and more comprehensively finish off the Dragons Vs. Giants story line. Another add in would be to make deity really alter a characters progression. A dark elf cleric would not likely have all the same exact spells and ways of doing things as a high elf...

Class extension:: Warrior modified by berzerker attributes.
--
Class extension:: Clerics of good act good per normal, but solo better due to nicely modded spells such and Vs. Undead, and perhaps Vs. opposing humanoid faction. Where as a Dark Elf Cleric would likely resemble a heavily beefed up (healing wise) Necro / Shaman depending.

Another cool thing was how Shards of Dalaya had actual mining!

Anyhow, all that to say that I agree.

Peace
Old 04-16-2017, 09:05 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyotte View Post
After all that...extend each expansion by adding numerous zones in various places that are customized. Think adding in the expansion that added Crescent Reach and the Drakkin.
The custom I am working on right now, even though the expansions being used didn't orginally include Drakkin race and Beserker class, I included them anyway.
I do find it more innovative to mix a little "classic" content with customized zones outside the classic expansions which helps break the boredom of old school.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:12 PM
mjbcb0717
Hill Giant

if you have to box a whole group or 20+ toons....that crap not hip anymore is what i was saying the majority of EQemu community can or wants to play solo/duo content we dont need more p99/alkabor servers they never take off.
no flame to the people who do have these servers i wish you the best of luck but they 99% of the time flop. i enjoy the freedom of being able to do my own thing but i hate servers that set it up to blaze trough it in a week. if you want a really good solo server that still has that nostalgic feel and grind go to casual dreams you wont blaze trough that server or raid addicts it pretty good to but most of em out now your top dog in 1 or 2 weeks. wish i knew coding and stuff i always have some really fun and good ideas lol.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:28 PM
The_Beast
Discordant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbcb0717 View Post
most of em out now your top dog in 1 or 2 weeks
Exactly. That's what generates that typical scenario of a server experiencing a possible small surge after launch, players bulldoze to the end and fade away.
But if you slow that leveling and experience down, (keeping the content soloable), would those same "bulldozing" players still be interested ?
Old 04-16-2017, 10:26 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Good points. When I contemplated a hybrid Antonica//Kunark//Velious server, one thing I considered was using the original class's and races, and extending them. Next re-normalize all zones from newbie to end. After all that...extend each expansion by adding numerous zones in various places that are customized. Think adding in the expansion that added Crescent Reach and the Drakkin. I waffled on whether to add them or not to, never did quite decide. Though they would be somewhat entertaining as the primary plot was to extend and more comprehensively finish off the Dragons Vs. Giants story line.
My server idea includes something like that, except rather than taking original Trilogy as base, I reuse its zones and build a completely different world map outlined with new/modified lore.

Quote:
Another add in would be to make deity really alter a characters progression. A dark elf cleric would not likely have all the same exact spells and ways of doing things as a high elf...
Another path that I also pursuing, putting those deity alignments into good use, because sadly LIVE never used them much for anything.
Consider Mage that follows Ro (Fire) vs Mage that follows Xegony (Air),
or for example I consider taking Necromancer template, and splitting it into 2 different classes - one thats follows Innoruk is a Necromancer that is master of undead, and another - following Bertoxulos, is a Defiler, that is master of Plague. Etc.

Quote:
Another cool thing was how Shards of Dalaya had actual mining!
Yeah I thought of this too, I figured it could be easily implemented using Rock pile model from new Tutorial zone, and client variables when trying to interact with it Foraging/gathering for all classes can be implemented the same way.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:52 PM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

@CSZ,

What server...?

Sounds cool!
Old 04-16-2017, 11:57 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
@CSZ,

What server...?

Sounds cool!
Unfortunately so far this server only exists in my mind
I have developing and documenting the ideas - which now 50 mb file - but it still far from being actually implemented Hopefully one day
Old 04-17-2017, 12:16 AM
rhyotte
Hill Giant

I must admit, I would very much like to chat with you on ideas...

I mained a cleric within the live endgame, and my offdays box was a warrior. Later I added a max level for era necro for pure fun.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Well I don't have much time to set up a scheduled chat, but feel free to sent a PM
Old 04-18-2017, 07:03 AM
daerath
Sarnak

My definitions, and I think I share this with quite a few people:

"Classic Grind" = It's almost easier to just play a progression server on live.
"Not-classic grind" = Any of the Emu servers that aren't as big a timesink due to bots, permitted MQ2, customized for solo / group play, or entirely unique content.
Old 04-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Albator
Fire Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosSlayerZ View Post
client variables when trying to interact with it
Ie; require a pickaxe to be equipped so you can pick up the rock pile? How would one go about coding that? Like which server code file would be a good start .
Old 04-19-2017, 08:16 PM
ChaosSlayerZ
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post
Ie; require a pickaxe to be equipped so you can pick up the rock pile? How would one go about coding that? Like which server code file would be a good start .
its been a while since I actually coded but it would go like this:

You "hail" the Rockpile
Rockpile offers you a click link "mine"
You click "mine" - the code runs and checks if you have Pick Axe equipped, then it checks a client variable where it stores your Mining Skill, forces attack animation on our char and produces result