Go Back   EQEmulator Home > EQEmulator Forums > General > General::General Discussion

General::General Discussion General discussion about EverQuest(tm), EQEMu, and related topics.
Do not post support topics here.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:36 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

Default CHM - Wikki

ok... unless there is any objections.. I have decided to undertake a long ardorous task of taking this entire site and making a chm file that sorta does what the wikki does only a bit cleaner.

any suggestions comments before I start
Old 09-28-2006, 04:52 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon
ok... unless there is any objections.. I have decided to undertake a long ardorous task of taking this entire site and making a chm file that sorta does what the wikki does only a bit cleaner.

any suggestions comments before I start
I don't agree with doing that.
The danger lies in the fact that you can also specify a tag or link to an executable file which will be compiled, along with other files, into the Help file! The .chm file when opened will run the attached .exe file which might be completely unknown to the user.
Users should be extremely cautious when they receive .chm files in an email message and should not open them if they are not expected.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-28-2006, 05:10 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

ok to be fair I understand what you are saying...

however.. if I was out to damage I would do it somewhere I didnt frequest every single day *laffs* (dont sh*t in your own backyard)

if I do this CHM thing its because the site is so large and terribly disorganized that the search features in a chm system would make the info much easier to call up
Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 AM
abaddon
Sarnak

to answer you question from another post BTW I abandoned the Asheron's project due to lack of competant devs... I was getting sick of being the only one putting out new material.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:14 AM
sdabbs65
Dragon

Default .

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon
ok to be fair I understand what you are saying...

however.. if I was out to damage I would do it somewhere I didnt frequest every single day *laffs* (dont sh*t in your own backyard)

if I do this CHM thing its because the site is so large and terribly disorganized that the search features in a chm system would make the info much easier to call up

Who watches the Watchman....

UNNECESSARY being the keyword in all 3 of your posts.
you made your intentions quite clear but what happens if you get pissed off like so many other people do on this fourm.
im not saying your an asphole or that you would do something like that.
if someone was to hack your computer and insert something into it without you knowing, you would distribute it to thousands of users here.
why take the UNNECESSARY risks.

that all I got to say about it.

www.cheaterz.info
Old 09-28-2006, 07:07 AM
John Adams
Demi-God

We don't have to d/l or use it. Some might find it useful.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:11 PM
fathernitwit
Developer

it is a very bad idea to duplicate the information on the wiki, and fact of the matter is that it will just get out of date. Time would be much better spent improving the wiki, but that my oppinion.